Gaelforce or Burkheimer Rods.

Dave Me

Reaction score
I usually fish Spey lines with Sage rods but I am drawn to the Gaelforce or Burkheimer rods, both rods are quality, has anyone had the experience of fishing and casting both rods.
Have both rods a similar action and feel and good for fishing as well as casting cheers

onelastcast

Reaction score
I have no connection with either company,but have used rods designed by James Chalmers,, when he worked for another company for fishing with spey lines, and they have been excellent used them for 10 seasons. Ihave only seen a couple of Burkheimer rods and they look superb things .Too me and of course a personal opinion is always subjective I would think the Gaelforce design would come from more experience of Spey casting and the Burkheimer maybe more from a PNW fishing point of design.For sure both are great products and I am sure both companies would be willing to discuss before you purchase,whichever way you go you should have a great rod -good luck a nice dilema onelastcast

rs2ford

Reaction score
Cant comment on the Burkheimer rods but the Gaelforce are all designed with hours of experience and have been tested on rivers where they excel with Spey lines but are also superb with shooting heads and skagits. I have the 14'6" 9/10 which will handle 38-42g lines from his own range and will send a line in to the next county but is also a lovely fishing rod. The quality of the components is top notch and the service from James is second to none.
Regards Diarmid.

rotenone

Reaction score
They are both excellent rods, you will find the Gaelforce especially the destination slightly faster and imo better with heavy sinking lines as the tip is a bit firmer.
The build quality of both rods is very good but if you like bells and whistles it maybe is edged by Burkheimer .

For all round fishing the Gaelforce destinations are the greatest rods ever built followed by Carron and cnd bias versa

tadpole

Reaction score
Both Quality rods, Ive got two Burheimer rods cant falt them never used the Gaelforce but seen reviews on here all good
Good luck

Johnnieboy

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about a gaelforce equalizer 14’6” since I tried one on the tweed last season....any for sale let me know?
I’m binning the zephrus 14’6” as it’s apparently not for me🤷🏼‍♂️

Handel

Reaction score
Gaelforce rods come with matching lines. I am too old to mess about trying to work out which lines match a rod I have bought.

SteveG

Reaction score
Gaelforce rods come with matching lines. I am too old to mess about trying to work out which lines match a rod I have bought.
That would sell it to me, great lines as well 👍

Handel

Reaction score
I contacted Gaelforce Fishing for advice about the Gaelforce Rods I received a reply from James Chalmers the customer service is fantastic.
Yep unmatched anywhere I know. And spend some time on his website, very informative.

Rockpool

Reaction score
Is anyone able to expand on the difference between the Gaelforce Destinations and the Equalisers, particularly the 14’6” 9/10?
I have the 13’9” 8/9 Destination which is fantastic, especially with Scandi lines. Flexes deep into the blank but still has a lot of muscle. Like a B&W that’s been to the gym !
I do miss casting long Carron Spey lines on big pools in the summer though and was wondering whether the 14’6” Destination or Equaliser would be best for this.
I intend to go to James Chalmer’s quarry to test them but any info would be welcome while we are all stuck at home in the meantime.

keirstream

Reaction score
Is anyone able to expand on the difference between the Gaelforce Destinations and the Equalisers, particularly the 14’6” 9/10?
I have the 13’9” 8/9 Destination which is fantastic, especially with Scandi lines. Flexes deep into the blank but still has a lot of muscle. Like a B&W that’s been to the gym !
I do miss casting long Carron Spey lines on big pools in the summer though and was wondering whether the 14’6” Destination or Equaliser would be best for this.
I intend to go to James Chalmer’s quarry to test them but any info would be welcome while we are all stuck at home in the meantime.
I have 3 Destinations and 2 Equalizers.
The Destinations are typically faster and beefier than the Equalizers and slightly better all-rounders.
You have to measure that with the fact that every rod in both ranges you pick up are World Class standard
so a layman like myself with limited ability could be accused of splitting hairs.:):)
I use the 4 piece rods simply for speed when I am snatching a quick few hours somewhere. Having said that,
4 springers to 16lbs the week before lockdown last March from the Earn and Northie using the 14ft 9/10 matched
with the Gaelforce Multi Tip, matching 15ft Sink 6 tip and 5 inch Banana is not bad for a rod especially when it all
feels perfectly balanced. I team it with the Danielsson 8-13 Control (James uses these reels pretty much exclusively also) and it's just a joy to swing with it.
I have the 14ft 6in Destination within my collection and it will throw the Gaelforce Spey line into eternity.
The only other rod that I had that could consistently do that was the Hardy Zenith 15ft 1in.
When I got the Zenith at first, James and I went down the Forth to try some lines. It needed the 11/12 line to work it and after a couple of practice
casts, James encouraged me to really have a go which I did. Not knowing the overall length of the line, I asked James how far it had gone as it was into the backing. 50m+ said James not even looking surprised.
However, Destinations are far better all round rods than Zeniths and customer service is paramount to James.
Hardy, on the other hand, discontinued the Zenith range and never considered forward breakage issues which meant a £1k rod
10 years ago is obsolete because no spares are now available. That means Hardy will never sell me another rod.:(

rs2ford

Reaction score
I owned the 14ft 9/10 Equaliser and sold it to fund the 14'6" Destination. The intention was just to have the 6 piece configuration for travel purposes however its a better all round rod for fishing the Tay, Tummel etc which are fairly wide and demanding in places. The 6 piece has more power and can step up to a 10/11 line easier than the 14'0". I tend to use the 42g Equaliser integrated floating but the 39g Equaliser integrated Hover line. The 14'6" can definitely achieve more distance and throws a 63ft Spey line very easily. I am also a big fan of the B&W Norway range and the Gaelforce is not dissimilar but certainly better.
Regards Diarmid.

Handel

Reaction score
Nothing much to add to what Tom and Diarmid have said. I buy Destinations because I always have to travel to fish and 6 piece rods are so much more convenient than 4 piece rods. I also have the 14' 6" Destination (I have two😊) and James sold me a 10/11 multitip line with them. As he explained the rod is really a 9/11 and that is the way I think of it. His website describes exactly what lines go with what rod but it is always worth having a chat with him as your style of casting (I wish my casting had style) may make him suggest a change. Easily the best big river rod I have ever owned, it will see me out. And when I snapped a rod ring and sent him an SOS he replied immediately............from California!

Rockpool

Reaction score
Kierstream, Rsford and Handel, thanks for the comprehensive and helpful responses. Sounds like the Destination 14'6" 9/10 is the one. The 6 pieces are more of a pain than and advantage for me right now, as I (sadly) don't fish overseas, but the extra power to chuck a 63' Spey line a long way is what I'm after. Interesting comparison with the B&W Norway. A 15' 9/10 was my first proper rod which I've nostalgically cherished for the past 20 years. It hadn't made it out of the cupboard for a few years until I took it on a trip to the Spey last summer to lend to a friend. I gave it a go for old times sake after three days with the Destination 13'9" which was an abrupt reminder of how rod design has moved on and how special the Gaelforce is.

Dave Me - Sorry for high-jacking your thread but I hope this contributes to getting it back on track. I fished a Sage European 15'1 (older brown one) with a 75' Carron line for many years. It just "worked" for me but I haven't found the same feeling with more recent Sages like the X. I've retired it now but the Gaelforce, although a bit different, is the closest that I've found to an all round rod which has power, flexibility and finesse. I haven't cast a Burkheimer but I doubt that you will get the same backup in the UK that others have applauded Gaelforce for above.

keirstream

Reaction score
9/10 or 10/11, Tom ?
You know this Brian?
I had to check for you simply because of the wide windows possessed by these rods, I just couldn't remember.:oops:
I tend to use a 10/11 on it which loads right down to the butt but it is rated a 9/10.
Doesn't really matter too much what line you stick on these rods, if it doesn't feel right then a tip of sorts deals with it.

Rockpool

Reaction score
I found the FX1 to be quite stiff and one dimensional. A powerful rod for casting distance but the Gaelforce is a better all round fishing rod IMO . , . . and still great for casting a long line.

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
I found the FX1 to be quite stiff and one dimensional. A powerful rod for casting distance but the Gaelforce is a better all round fishing rod IMO . , . . and still great for casting a long line.
Somebody on here said it was more sensitive and had a slower action than the 15ft1in Zenith.!!!
To me, that is the same description, same rod.
So, they discontinued the Zenith (terrific long line rod as you say) and brought out the Zephrus, essentially same rod?
Wow!!!!!☹️☹️

Rockpool

Reaction score
Somebody on here said it was more sensitive and had a slower action than the 15ft1in Zenith.!!!
To me, that is the same description, same rod.
So, they discontinued the Zenith (terrific long line rod as you say) and brought out the Zephrus, essentially same rod?
Wow!!!!!☹️☹️
I was talking about the Mackenzie FX1, particularly the 15'. The 14'6" Zephrus is apparently an easier action than the Zenith but I haven't tried it.

bankwheel

Reaction score
D8D9C914-3DCF-431E-A0D6-2D96013EF298.jpeg
The FX1 is far from stiff, this is me testing one a few years ago off my weaker shoulder and a 38g line instead of the recommended 42g. It bends right to the handle