Gaelforce or Barrio integrated shooting head.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Zenith 13ft 6in has a wide window and works well (for me anyway) with the 39 gram Integrated plus 10ft polyleaders.
Bigger waters then I turn to multis either the 36 gram head with 15ft tips or sometimes the 40 gram with 10ft tips.
Maybe even step up to the 14ft 9'/10 Equalizer to use the sink 6s and 8 tips and big bananas in the Spring.
I have pretty much stopped using floating lines in lower waters due to the surface disturbance factor being eliminated pretty much.
I also work my flies much more too.(y)
Food for thought. Maybe I need the 34g and 39g with 10ft and 15ft tips. The combinations would cover most of the Spring and Autumn conditions that I’m likely to come across in the UK. I’m sure LamsonV10 said he used a 34g head with 15ft tips on another thread. The 34g integrated hover with 10ft tips should work well on my 13 ft 8/9. My mind is made up. Every day is a school day…
Thanks 👍

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Yes the Gaelforce Integrated Hover lines are superb. I recently picked up a couple of Rio AFS hover lines and they are also great. If you can afford to have a spool designated to the Integrated line then go for that, but if you want to use one running line for all heads then go for the Rio AFS hover if you can find one.
You won't be disappointed with either.
Cheers Diarmid.
Diarmid have you tried the 34g Gaelforce Integrated Hover on an RJC 13ft 8/9 by any chance?

lax0341

Reaction score
For shorter rods ( under 14 feet ) I would use the Barrio line , above 14 ft the Gaelforce. Both lines are great ones.
The Barrio is a bit more related to warmer temperatures and not so familiar with really cold circumstances.

Last edited:

beardog

Reaction score
and one for a switch setup ...............6# or 7#

gap in the market for a hover SW weight line I think
I spotted this when on a search myself. Seem to be available in Scandiland. Single handed rated and the biggest size is #8 @ 20g. Available as a shooting head or integrated line, and the hover version looks just like the old Rio AFS hover.

Klasse: Linen: Hovedlængde:

WF5/S1 14g 8,8m

WF6/S1 16g 9,3m

WF7/S1 18g 10,0m

WF8/S1 20g 10,5m

Anyone tried one?

Attachments

• A6C63C12-5CFF-4FE7-8636-4453789A321E.jpeg
    A6C63C12-5CFF-4FE7-8636-4453789A321E.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 6CCEF116-DEE7-4570-A9D6-AFCB6E89C414.jpeg
    6CCEF116-DEE7-4570-A9D6-AFCB6E89C414.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 28

chrishconnolly

Reaction score
Okay just to put everything in perspective.
Gaelforce lines are a Scottish fishing line and now rod company.
James Chalmers is a very well respected gentleman and caster also.
His tackle is all designed in Scotland but is produced abroad.
The lines being so expensive now are mainly down to the fact that we no longer have lines produced in the uk.
James has had to go to America for line production hence the hike in the costs.
You only have to take a look at the cost of barrio fly lines also.
Mike produces great lines but has also had to go stateside to get his.
Now his prices were the cheapest on the market but have now increased by around 40 to 45 percent a huge hike.
Both Scottish companies who have produced great products and I will continue to buy from them.

glenelg100

Reaction score
Just out of interest Dave, which one are you using? I have the same rod and I am currently on the look out for a new line to go on it. Thank you
I had that rod and tried quite a few lines , the one I liked best was the Gaelforace intergrated.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Okay just to put everything in perspective.
Gaelforce lines are a Scottish fishing line and now rod company.
James Chalmers is a very well respected gentleman and caster also.
His tackle is all designed in Scotland but is produced abroad.
The lines being so expensive now are mainly down to the fact that we no longer have lines produced in the uk.
James has had to go to America for line production hence the hike in the costs.
You only have to take a look at the cost of barrio fly lines also.
Mike produces great lines but has also had to go stateside to get his.
Now his prices were the cheapest on the market but have now increased by around 40 to 45 percent a huge hike.
Both Scottish companies who have produced great products and I will continue to buy from them.

Gaelforce have always been made in the US, by Rio I think.

They are pricey lines, but they haven’t gone up that much. Pretty sure I paid £79.99 for my integrated S/H about 5-6 years ago and now it’s £95. That increase is much in line with inflation.

keirstream

Reaction score
Food for thought. Maybe I need the 34g and 39g with 10ft and 15ft tips. The combinations would cover most of the Spring and Autumn conditions that I’m likely to come across in the UK. I’m sure LamsonV10 said he used a 34g head with 15ft tips on another thread. The 34g integrated hover with 10ft tips should work well on my 13 ft 8/9. My mind is made up. Every day is a school day…
Thanks 👍
In mormal water heights I very rarely look beyond the Integrated hover and inty tip.
It's a winning combination, for me anyway.
Similarly, single handed work is covered the majority of time by a slow glass with an inty tip.
Great presentation, no surface disturbance and stealthy.(y)