Gaelforce Hoover

Henke

Reaction score
Anyone using this with the integrated shootingline?
Any comments ? Is it good or “just another line”?

Which tips do you use on it ?

I am not Happy about the integrated runningline (difficult changing heads..then) but maybe the positive things overrule this.....

Thanks in advance ! :)

keirstream

Reaction score
Anyone using this with the integrated shootingline?
Any comments ? Is it good or “just another line”?

Which tips do you use on it ?

I am not Happy about the integrated runningline (difficult changing heads..then) but maybe the positive things overrule this.....

Thanks in advance ! :)

Wonderful line.:)
Cut off the head, add a loop and you have a head and running line.
Or else just use it integrated.:thumb:
Not much use for cleaning carpets though.
Stick to a Dyson.:lol:

Last edited:

rs2ford

Reaction score
I also use the Gaelforce integrated hover line and agree it is a wonderful line.
I personally love the integrated line which is so smooth to shoot through the rings with no joins. I use the Gaelforce 10ft tips normally 2.6 or 3.9 inch per second versions.
Only downside is it takes up a spool on its own.

Cheers Diarmid.

Henke

Reaction score
Hi Diarmid and Keirstream

Thanks guys !

I will have to try it then..... ;-)

Neil W

Reaction score
Interesting line. When would you use it over say a standard floating scandi, an intermediate or even a versitip line?

ibm59

Reaction score
Sounds interesting.

Sink rate similar to the old AFS hover ?

Henke

Reaction score
Interesting line. When would you use it over say a standard floating scandi, an intermediate or even a versitip line?

I think it sinks less than an intermediate (it sort of “hangs” in the water below the surface if that makes sense).
Floating later in the season. For me that is.
Actually I very seldom use floating lines..maybe a Sinktip but that is that....
Only under difficult situations (hot and/or low water).

Last edited:

Henke

Reaction score
Sounds interesting.

Sink rate similar to the old AFS hover ?

Yes that is my own thought....but I am not 100 sure.
All that aside...the Gaelforce should be a great line. I use their multitip and it is one of the Best I have tried for many many years (even better than the popular Rio Versitip on some of my rods).

keirstream

Reaction score

With no wind on the water fishing a glassy glide on a bright day its a goto line.
No surface shadow cast in the salmon's forward vision and still presenting the fly just sub surface gets attention when the more obtrusive floating line will not.:)
Sinking about half the rate of a standard inty means that in a decent paced stream it holds just an inch or 2 below the surface film.:thumb:

Handel

Reaction score

I asked James this. Answer, when you are fishing deep. The hover line gives you a better profile with faster tips, gives you more chance to mend than with an intermediate and isn't dragged round by the current the way a floating line/head is. I haven't had a proper chance to try mine out yet but I get what he is saying, I have never liked multitips in a big water.

ibm59

Reaction score
I asked James this. Answer, when you are fishing deep. The hover line gives you a better profile with faster tips, gives you more chance to mend than with an intermediate and isn't dragged round by the current the way a floating line/head is. I haven't had a proper chance to try mine out yet but I get what he is saying, I have never liked multitips in a big water.

When you say “ faster tips “ do you mean polyleaders or proper tips ?

Handel

Reaction score
When you say “ faster tips “ do you mean polyleaders or proper tips ?

Proper tips. His exact observation was that the hover line plus a 10ft tip of 7.0ips gives the equivalent of an old wetcel 2.

ibm59

Reaction score
Proper tips. His exact observation was that the hover line plus a 10ft tip of 7.0ips gives the equivalent of an old wetcel 2.

So this line will handle the tips from a Rio Multi Tip line or equivalent ?

Genuine question ?

Rennie

Reaction score
According to the Gaelforce Bumff, this line is meant to handle poly tips off the front.Now I could well be wrong, but assuming a full 15ft multi tip type of tip will be just too heavy and turn over/presentation will suffer.Not sure about the 10ft tips as fitted to the SSVT,but suspect they also might be too heavy.The 10ft 7 ips tip sounds like the Rio poly tip,I'd be very happy indeed reaching for a poly tip on the front of a line like these.
Yes you can chop and cut(but at Gaelfore prices I doubt I would do that, or want to ruin a perfectly good line) to suit 15ft or 10ft Versi/Multi tip type of tips.
However,the Norris example would be well worth a punt for any one wanting a bit of DIY chopping and splicing.
As with an intermediate, you get a cracking presentation with these lines, a true sense of fishing to the flee and tip as opposed to the rear end loop that you often get with a full floater.
Early season fish aren't always taken dredging bottom, in many a river a Hover or Inty line will get you down under the surface drift and achieve a slower swing, a suitable poly and tube will as like as not get you down if needed.However if the fish are running and you need to come up in the water, then a simple change of poly gets you back on the brass ASAP.
Versatile lines indeed for a number of reasons.
Pedro.

ibm59

Reaction score
According to the Gaelforce Bumff, this line is meant to handle poly tips off the front.Now I could well be wrong, but assuming a full 15ft multi tip type of tip will be just too heavy and turn over/presentation will suffer.Not sure about the 10ft tips as fitted to the SSVT,but suspect they also might be too heavy.The 10ft 7 ips tip sounds like the Rio poly tip,I'd be very happy indeed reaching for a poly tip on the front of a line like these.
Yes you can chop and cut(but at Gaelfore prices I doubt I would do that, or want to ruin a perfectly good line) to suit 15ft or 10ft Versi/Multi tip type of tips.
However,the Norris example would be well worth a punt for any one wanting a bit of DIY chopping and splicing.
As with an intermediate, you get a cracking presentation with these lines, a true sense of fishing to the flee and tip as opposed to the rear end loop that you often get with a full floater.
Early season fish aren't always taken dredging bottom, in many a river a Hover or Inty line will get you down under the surface drift and achieve a slower swingsuitable poly and tube will as like as not get you down if needed.However if the fish are running and you need to come up in the water, then a simple change of poly gets you back on the brass ASAP.
Versatile lines indeed for a number of reasons.
Pedro.

For a long time , my favourite set up for spring , and any other time of the year for that matter , was a cropped AFS hover with the 10’ brown Monty tip.
Classic combo. :thumb:

keirstream

Reaction score
I use the 10ft Monty tips on the line for normal use with tubes.
Otherwise just 5ft or 10ft polys for doubles.
No difference in presentation, the line is more than fit for purpose as far as I can see.:)
Like other Gaelforce lines, it makes casting a whole lot easier without having to flaff about with cheap lines and hacking bits off and splicing other bits in.
It does everything you need it to do off the shelf no problem.:thumb:

Handel

Reaction score
So this line will handle the tips from a Rio Multi Tip line or equivalent ?

Genuine question ?

Thought I would consult the designer before replying.

It does depend what rod you are using. Some rods only cope with a narrow range of line weights. If you have one of those and this hover line fully loads it then all you will be able to add is polyleaders.

I fish a Gaelforce rod which deals with a wide range of line weights so it casts the hover line on its own, with polyleaders or with 10ft tips. I use Gaelforce tips. It won't work if you try and add 15ft tips. They will make the whole line set up too heavy.

Rio manufacture all the Gaelforce lines, tips etc but they are not the same profile as the Rio own branded stuff. I prefer the Gaelforce gear, just casts better for me.

keirstream

Reaction score
I fish a Gaelforce rod which deals with a wide range of line weights so it casts the hover line on its own, with polyleaders or with 10ft tips. I use Gaelforce tips. It won't work if you try and add 15ft tips. They will make the whole line set up too heavy.

As I do and previously described H.
BUT, that set up also works on the Zenith 13ft 6in.
Keep the 15ft tips for the skagit.

hairyscotsman

Reaction score
Can i ask what the benefits of using the 10ft tips over a 10 or 15ft polyleader.
I have just purchased a couple of gaelforce lines .

Thanks

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Can i ask what the benefits of using the 10ft tips over a 10 or 15ft polyleader.
I have just purchased a couple of gaelforce lines .

Thanks

As previous, use any combination of 5ft or 10ft tip or leader, the line remains stable, easy cast and great presentation without thinking about it too much.
If you want to use a 15ft tip, which I wouldn't personally advise, be prepared to concentrate fully on your casting stroke and timing or else the forward part of the line will collapse in a heap.
These are best used on skagits.:)
Edit; or buy the multi tip line.:thumb:

Last edited:

hairyscotsman

Reaction score
As previous, use any combination of 5ft or 10ft tip or leader, the line remains stable, easy cast and great presentation without thinking about it too much.
If you want to use a 15ft tip, which I wouldn't personally advise, be prepared to concentrate fully on your casting stroke and timing or else the forward part of the line will collapse in a heap.
These are best used on skagits.:)
Edit; or buy the multi tip line.:thumb:

Sorry i really did not word that as i should..

I was more meaning what is the benefit of a 10ft tip over a 10ft polyleader..

Cheers