FS3 The CollieDog

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Hope this is ok guys..bit rough round the edges as its my first time on tubes and not happy with the tube holder thingy bob..best invest in a new vice and holder for future

Anyway enough of the excuse

materials

Tube - 1 Inch veniards Plastic
Rib - Silver (Oval)
Body - Silver holo Tinsel & coated with clear varnish
Wing - Fox hair, 2 strands of Mirror Krystal flash, Black goat hair, 2 strands on mirror flash, 1 strand peacock herl, then Goat hair again
head - Black Thread

secure tube and tie in thread leaving enough room for your hair to be tied in at a later stage and form the head.

Run thread about half way down tube and tie in rib

then run back to start point and tie in tinsel.

Form tinsel body and ribbing then varnish with 2 coats of clear varnish

After drying switch to black thread and start to tie in the wing.

First tie in the black fox hair..the length should reach to about wher ethe hook will be on the tube/fly..apparantly this helps stop wrapping..picked that up on here not sure where sloggi!!!

Now tie in 2 strand of mirror flash to the smae length as the fox hair

Now select your goat hair for the main wing select enough to do the whole wing but split in half and only tie in half the hair at this stage..i used the formula of 1 inch tube 3 inch wing

Now tie in another 2 strands of mirror flash and your peacock herl to the length of the goat hair wing

Now tie in the remainder of the selected goat hair, whip finish and varnish

Last edited:

onthedangle

Reaction score
very nice paul! having not fished the collie or sunray very much i am no expert, but the only collies i have seen have had a pink under wing/throat, are the ones i've seen variants?
i need to get my self in gear and get on with the dee foxes!!

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Im no expert either never fished one in my puff!!!

just took a rush of blood to the head when the last fly Swap was mentioned and the Collie Dog seemed the best option at the time.

Took my tying from trout and Salmon April 2007

ive all my bodies done just the wings to finish tomorrow night and sunday should see them done and in the post by Monday.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Cheers Guys

Still a bit rough round the edges like all my tying but practise makes perfect.

Im not sure about the camera its a friends but will tell you when i get home and check it out.

Might do another SBS tonight just for kicks..geez what happened fridays in the pub eh?