Frodins flies.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am wanting to tie Frodins style patterns, but watching his videos......I dont know how you attach the hook?
If you thread the tube fly up the leader, then add the hook, I feel that it will twist and not sit right.

I must be missing something here?

Andrew B

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am wanting to tie Frodins style patterns, but watching his videos......I dont know how you attach the hook?
If you thread the tube fly up the leader, then add the hook, I feel that it will twist and not sit right.

I must be missing something here?
Are they not the standard way of the hook being tied direct to the leader with a short piece of rubber tube to keep the fly in place?
I’ve met the guy a few times at fly tying shows as he is also well versed in the classics, hence the teardrop shape to his flies.

rotenone

Reaction score
The TTT and BTT are for free swinging hooks the pressure of the water cause the sleeves hook to sit against the back of the tube. You don't attach the hook. The hook and tube part company in the cast it prevent the soft hair tangling in the hook and also leader

Geordieboy

Reaction score
The TTT and BTT are for free swinging hooks the pressure of the water cause the sleeves hook to sit against the back of the tube. You don't attach the hook. The hook and tube part company in the cast it prevent the soft hair tangling in the hook and also leader
So, Its tube fly up the leader, then a piece of spare tube up the leader, then a hook tied to the leader?

Then all just floats mid cast and water pressure brings it together when it fishes?

Andrew B

Reaction score
So, Its tube fly up the leader, then a piece of spare tube up the leader, then a hook tied to the leader?

Then all just floats mid cast and water pressure brings it together when it fishes?
Yep you got it.

Rennie

Reaction score
Not necessarily!, it all depends on your personal preference.
There's 3 basic ways of sorting tube flee's to yer 'ook!.
1, Is the std extension tubing of silicon/flexible rubber/plastic mounted on the rear of the tube, the nylon passes through the tube and extension, the hook is tied to that and then pushed into the flexible tube extension which holds the hook in place, but usually separates when a fish is hooked and being played.
2,The tube itself is wide enough to accept the hook eye and knot being pushed up inside it- quite popular amongst those who self tie in the Scandi stylee, as effective as the former method.
3, The free swinging tube, simply the tube is threaded up the line, the tube is tied on and allowed to sit at the base of the tube.There are a few variations on this in that you can slide a small bit of narrow diameter silicon(pole fishing silicon) onto the hook, then slide it over the knot and hook eye to protect it from the tube constantly banging on it, or there are "propellor" tubes which do exactly the same, merely protect the knot at the hook eye.
I favour the former two methods, extension tube for metal and the std, tying of tube flee's, the second I favour with small and tiny tubes where I'm looking for a smaller presentation all over usually scandi stylee wings.
I prefer a hook held in place for a very simple reason, as I use Terrible's where it's acceptable to do so, I rig them in keel fashion as this dictates how the tube will fish.Most terrible's are made from a single bit of wire with two points fashioned, the 3rd point is a separate bit of wire braised on top.Align the tube with the single braised point uppermost when you fix it into the flee as this is how the tube will fish in the water, double points down, single point up.
Obviously hooks with a large single wing tied on top of the tube may not be affected to the same degree as a conventionally tied tube, but it does work, self tied tubes with a long top Scandi wing can fish off to one side or indeed upside down. Align the hooks with the wing and it will fish level the right way up.
Trust me it works!.
Pedro.

rotenone

Reaction score

The hook sits in the extension tubing as normal but its not joined to the tube fly

Attachments

• IMG_20210113_212034.jpg
    IMG_20210113_212034.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 74

rotenone

Reaction score
It works best with short body tubes like cone bodies, us tubes and TTT / BTT it makes it less necessary to use a stiffer material first its also possible to change the rear section of a fly I often tie flashy hook keepers with polar chenille of similar for fishing dirty water

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Not necessarily!, it all depends on your personal preference.
There's 3 basic ways of sorting tube flee's to yer 'ook!.
1, Is the std extension tubing of silicon/flexible rubber/plastic mounted on the rear of the tube, the nylon passes through the tube and extension, the hook is tied to that and then pushed into the flexible tube extension which holds the hook in place, but usually separates when a fish is hooked and being played.
2,The tube itself is wide enough to accept the hook eye and knot being pushed up inside it- quite popular amongst those who self tie in the Scandi stylee, as effective as the former method.
3, The free swinging tube, simply the tube is threaded up the line, the tube is tied on and allowed to sit at the base of the tube.There are a few variations on this in that you can slide a small bit of narrow diameter silicon(pole fishing silicon) onto the hook, then slide it over the knot and hook eye to protect it from the tube constantly banging on it, or there are "propellor" tubes which do exactly the same, merely protect the knot at the hook eye.
I favour the former two methods, extension tube for metal and the std, tying of tube flee's, the second I favour with small and tiny tubes where I'm looking for a smaller presentation all over usually scandi stylee wings.
I prefer a hook held in place for a very simple reason, as I use Terrible's where it's acceptable to do so, I rig them in keel fashion as this dictates how the tube will fish.Most terrible's are made from a single bit of wire with two points fashioned, the 3rd point is a separate bit of wire braised on top.Align the tube with the single braised point uppermost when you fix it into the flee as this is how the tube will fish in the water, double points down, single point up.
Obviously hooks with a large single wing tied on top of the tube may not be affected to the same degree as a conventionally tied tube, but it does work, self tied tubes with a long top Scandi wing can fish off to one side or indeed upside down. Align the hooks with the wing and it will fish level the right way up.
Trust me it works!.
Pedro.
Bloody wonderful response. I was very wary of how the fly would fish and you've confirmed that for me. Very much appreciated.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
The hook sits in the extension tubing as normal but its not joined to the tube fly
I can see how it works for sure now. I just thought that the hook would "Flail" and the wing material get trapped up in it.

I've bought all the cones and 'TTT's as I'm completely mad for it all (being a childish infant boy type who loves toys).

I want to tie them in 3 different sizes in loads of different patterns (it keeps me out of the missus's hair).

Is this style better with small 'Terribles" rather than doubles?

Thanks again everyone, it's always an education coming on here!

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Another quick question, If I'm going to tie them in 15mm, 30mm and 50mm in size, what hooks, (doubles/trebles) and sizes should I buy? Cheers

Last edited:

Zamora

Reaction score
Sizes 6 to 10 are most useful imho. I mainly use sizes 8, 10 & 12.

Doubles or trebles, its your choise and pick what you like. About brands, I like Guideline, Sawada and Mustad.

Last edited:

Geordieboy

Reaction score
If I'm to use the "Free hanging hook" on the TTT flies, can anybody recommend some tubing for them please? I want tie small ones say 15mm to 20mm.

Last time I bought silicone tubing it was so soft it just collapsed and split.

Cheers everyone

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I insert a couple of mm of 1.8mm tubing into the futurefly silicone which stops the tubing slipping back on the hook. The other option is Propellerfly 10mm hook guide which is bulkier but better balanced in the water. I'm not convinced in my own mind that flies as short as you mention look good on ttts, once I put the hook on, rhe desired profile is lost so I prefer hook flies for my smallest offerings.
20210116_093335.jpg