Frodinflies

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I think Frodin has had a huge impact on our fishing today...(tubes, dressings, techniques etc.).
Regarding prices...well his (Far East produced) flies is more expensive that (many) others.... and some mention the poor quality...but I have personally bought flies at half the cost that I (when received) would not even think of using - because of low quality, that you could not se on the web - where the flies showed were different......Most skilled tier's on this forum makes better flies in general.

A short remark regarding prices .......of course many will buy Frodins flies no matter what price the are...
Look at the rods......(brands just metioned as examples)
Loop 15' 7x approx 1500 £ !!
Sage 15' X approx 1200 £ !!
Guideline 15' Elevation 425 £
All 3 rods will work... :)

When we are paying this kind of money for rods (could go on with reels and lines) ofcourse many will pay more that 10£ or more for a tubefly.

:)
Exactly !...it is up to them, what they buy, and who from....I personally, mainly, tie my own, for good or bad ? :unsure:
Mainly because I have bought some right dogs...unravelling materials, a lot of very poor quality hooks:mad:....so now I only ever buy tubes, unless they specifically tie on something like my favourite...Loop doubles, and 9/10 I buy a couple or 3 just to see how it is tied, and then tie my own version, adding any tweaks I prefer.
There are people on here, and in the marketplace, that are superb tiers...and I would have no hesitancy in buying from them, or recommending them, and have done, in numbers in the past, especially when it is above my limited skill.
I just don't see the need to rip into the guy, for doing what a lot of other people do in this sport....beats charging full whack, when they know there is no fish, and has never been at that time of year? Clothing that just doesn't do what it says it should, rods that go bang when asked to do what they are supposed to?
Mr Frodin trades on his reputation... I bet if everyone who received a lower quality fly than they were expecting for the price point, were to complain, and to send him them backo_O he would very quickly have a hard look at his QA !
Thing is, some would expect it to come with a 20 lb'r already attached?:ROFLMAO:
'I fish because it is what I want to do, nobody can make me!'

Last edited:

Craigk670

Reaction score
I think Frodin has had a huge impact on our fishing today..at least on Scandinavian fishing...(tubes, dressings, techniques etc.).
Regarding prices...well his (Far East produced) flies is more expensive that (many) others.... and some mention the poor quality...but I have personally bought flies at half the cost that I (when received) would not even think of using - because of low quality, that you could not se on the web - where the flies showed were different......Most skilled tier's on this forum makes better flies in general.

A short remark regarding prices .......of course many will buy Frodins flies no matter what price the are...
Look at the rods......(brands just metioned as examples)
Loop 15' 7x approx 1500 £ !!
Sage 15' X approx 1200 £ !!
Guideline 15' Elevation 425 £
All 3 rods will work... :)

When we are paying this kind of money for rods (could go on with reels and lines) ofcourse many will pay more than 10£ or more for a tubefly.

:)
If I had another 1200 quid I'd buy another sage x .its each to their own if you want buy it .no need to moan about . If folk tied their own flies it might just change their mind on the price of them .folk dont tie for folk for nothing ,I only do it for friends only

Henke

Reaction score
If I had another 1200 quid I'd buy another sage x .its each to their own if you want buy it .no need to moan about . If folk tied their own flies it might just change their mind on the price of them .folk dont tie for folk for nothing ,I only do it for friends only
I agree....I will happily buy another (not that I need one more !) top rod or reel...no mater what cost...if it is the right gear for me and meet my expectations.
I have mentioned it before...the comparison.....All cars will take you from A to B......then why does everyone not buy the cheapest ? 😆😉😎

Last edited:

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I agree....I will happily buy another (not that I need one more !) top rod or reel...no mater what cost...if it is the right gear for me and meet my expectations.
I have mentioned it before...the comparison.....All cars will take you from A to B......then why do everyone not buy the cheapest ? 😆😉😎
By the same token, if a rod half that price does the job why not buy that ?

lowforcefly

Reaction score
By the same token, if a rod half that price does the job why not buy that ?
Simple....because I don't want to ! ;)
If it was just about catching fish, I would buy a gill net !
Where do you draw the line on this logic....sticks cut out of the hedge back caught fish...why did we move away from them ?:oops:
Don't look at what people are using...look at what they are doing with it !

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Simple....because I don't want to ! ;)
If it was just about catching fish, I would buy a gill net !
Where do you draw the line on this logic....sticks cut out of the hedge back caught fish...why did we move away from them ?:oops:
Don't look at what people are using...look at what they are doing with it !
I’m not criticising you. If folk want to pay silly prices that’s their business. After all it keeps fashion rod-makers in business with models becoming obsolete after 12 months. Gone the same way as golf- a joke.

Beginners in both sports can get caught up in glitter - but it’s not all gold - mostly useless for use with big tubes in the biggest class of rivers in my experience. Seen it all in my work. AG

Last edited:

Silverdream

Reaction score
This has gone far from the first message in this topic.:D:D:D:D

But in some strange way this interest me and this has nothing to do with original dilemmao_O
I emphasize that Im not involved in fishing business, thank God.
I co-operated closely more than fifteen years here in North with our Loomis dealer. I used them when I was teaching casting and made casting demos with them. I have used Loomis rod since the first IMX´s came to Scandinavia, and gone thru most series by the Loomis. I just like Loomis rods and there´s no problems to say that some are good and some are not that good..
I used a really long time GLX´s, still love them, and I was pretty sure, that I won’t ever give up from them. Then the Asquith came to the warehouse and I got the first 15 footer few days before I was going to keep the demo in a fly fishing fair. This happened some years back.
I took the rod out from the package and it felt incredible light. I took reel and one of fav line with me and went to the water. It felt right away really good to my hand. After the weekend in fair I was really confused, cause Asquith seemed to fit my hand better than my GLX´s.

Next week we headed to Scotland to fish the Tay. I took new rod with me, but I was sure that Im still use my GLX´s. When I started to fish I decide to give the new rod a chance. Oh Boy, it felt even better in a real situation. It handled all the lines and situations even better than my trusty 15 foot GLX. When I got back home I called to the dealer, that I want to keep this rod. After next trip I had another, then the third, cause it is good to have two rigs, another with lighter lines and other with sinking head and one for the spare. Then I got also 14 footer...
I still have GLX´s on my closet, but I have not used them since..
This is just a personal example.

Yes, I know this sounds silly to someone, but why Im telling this here, is that sometimes, not always, it could be good to try something new. Materials are better on the tackle now a days, and some products have taken the major step ahead.
In a flies, which was the original dilemma, there is as many thoughts and opinion as there is fishermen and fly tiers. But all the same, the fly have to be the one you trust; even it is self made, purchased, cheap, expensive, swimming up size down or what ever. If you are the tourist like me, and you have limited time to spend in fishing, it is better to have the tackles you like and which suits you best and the flies you trust. I just dont want to spend my time with messing up with tackle when I have chance to fish. I want to fish..

I think it is best to lett Mr Frödin sell his flies what ever price he is asking for them Those who like them are ready to pay the named price, and those who think they are too expensive just tie their own flies or buy them from somewhere else.. simple as that

Cheers

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I’m not criticising you. If folk want to pay silly prices that’s their business. After all it keeps fashion rod-makers in business with models becoming obsolete after 12 months. Gone the same way as golf- a joke.

Beginners in both sports can get caught up in glitter - but it’s not all gold - mostly useless for use with big tubes in the biggest class of rivers in my experience. Seen it all in my work. AG
I didn't think you were !:) and, in truth, i'm more 'Anti fashion,' rather than fashionable ?
I don't like marketing people in general...and think they should be much more regulated!
Most of my gear is actually second hand, and I study, places like this, to try and build my own opinions, and choices. In fact I have only one RRP salmon rod, a 15' Loop Opti Power, which I bought 3 years after the S&T tests....and the price would not come down ?
I don't do prototypes, and would strongly advise against the 'Lastest thing.'I would rather wait to see what the feedback is and weigh if it would suit my needs, and what problems are revealed, after a good bit of use.
I don't have the disposable income to warrant the flashy stuff, but probably wouldn't if I had...short of a lottery win!:cry:
I do, however, tend to buy quality where I can. This is a personal thing, as I have been bitten to many times before, when I have bought cheap, especially reels!
The thing about Frodin, apart from him being a bit mad, is there are a lot worse in the angling game, who do not get anywhere near as much criticism as him, but deserve it far more.
At least he puts out the vids on how his flies are tied, and then it is up to you if you buy, or have a go at copying them...remember there are a lot who don't / can't tie themselves.
I haven't bought any of his flies, I would be inconsolable if I put it up my usual tree !:ROFLMAO: I do look at his range for ideas though!;)
The thing about size, at 60cm, (2 3/8"ish), I would consider that a mid sized fly, and he does a micro range.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I didn't think you were !:) and, in truth, i'm more 'Anti fashion,' rather than fashionable ?
I don't like marketing people in general...and think they should be much more regulated!
Most of my gear is actually second hand, and I study, places like this, to try and build my own opinions, and choices. In fact I have only one RRP salmon rod, a 15' Loop Opti Power, which I bought 3 years after the S&T tests....and the price would not come down ?
I don't do prototypes, and would strongly advise against the 'Lastest thing.'I would rather wait to see what the feedback is and weigh if it would suit my needs, and what problems are revealed, after a good bit of use.
I don't have the disposable income to warrant the flashy stuff, but probably wouldn't if I had...short of a lottery win!:cry:
I do, however, tend to buy quality where I can. This is a personal thing, as I have been bitten to many times before, when I have bought cheap, especially reels!
The thing about Frodin, apart from him being a bit mad, is there are a lot worse in the angling game, who do not get anywhere near as much criticism as him, but deserve it far more.
At least he puts out the vids on how his flies are tied, and then it is up to you if you buy, or have a go at copying them...remember there are a lot who don't / can't tie themselves.
I haven't bought any of his flies, I would be inconsolable if I put it up my usual tree !:ROFLMAO: I do look at his range for ideas though!;)
The thing about size, at 60cm, (2 3/8"ish), I would consider that a mid sized fly, and he does a micro range.
I have to confess to being a partial hypocrite.

Last year I took sea-trout rod out to fish with a pal but the reel fitting was missing. Rather than tape the reel on, I was offered the loan of my pals Loop Cross demo model. It worked fine on the small river at drought level with an old torpedo head or WF8 Int. Not having bought a new rod for 40 years ( getting my gear FOC ), I fell for the clearance price of £400.

On fishing a medium-sized river, albeit with some fresh water in, I found it soft and useless. The year before, I paid £150 to a hard up chap for 3 new or used S/H trout rods and 2 10/11 ‘ sea-trout rods, one being an old Abu. The following were included: 2 cheap Shakespeare reels and spare spools with lines, waistcoat, bag, waterproof, net and wooden fly box I paid asking price despite my Scot’s genes, feeling sorry for the bloke. I gave away all but the rods.

The Abu rod is twice as good as the Loop which was priced new at £900 at Helmsdale Tackle. The motto is: don’t break one‘s own rules. Newish Loop available £500. Signed useless. AG

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I have to confess to being a partial hypocrite.

Last year I took sea-trout rod out to fish with a pal but the reel fitting was missing. Rather than tape the reel on, I was offered the loan of my pals Loop Cross demo model. It worked fine on the small river at drought level with an old torpedo head or WF8 Int. Not having bought a new rod for 40 years ( getting my gear FOC ), I fell for the clearance price of £400.

On fishing a medium-sized river, albeit with some fresh water in, I found it soft and useless. The year before, I paid £150 to a hard up chap for 3 new or used S/H trout rods and 2 10/11 ‘ sea-trout rods, one being an old Abu. The following were included: 2 cheap Shakespeare reels and spare spools with lines, waistcoat, bag, waterproof, net and wooden fly box I paid asking price despite my Scot’s genes, feeling sorry for the bloke. I gave away all but the rods.

The Abu rod is twice as good as the Loop which was priced new at £900 at Helmsdale Tackle. The motto is: don’t break one‘s own rules. Newish Loop available £500. Signed useless. AG
There are very few people in this world who can claim not to have been a little bit hypocritical, at some time in their life! ;)
And I would give those very wide berth?:eek:
Thing is, it's what suit your style / needs will always be more appealing. There are lads on here who swear by the Loop cross, I don't know I have never held one ?
I have never got past the Opti powers, to be honest, superb build quality...but different animals across the range...the 13' is an animal, which if you don't bully it, it will bully you ? 14' Evotec...link it with a AFS...pleasure to use all day, for me, on a lowish/ normal floating line river.
You may notice a trend here....they all have the adjustable reel seat....I like a balanced rod, I do it with all my rods, and think it is one of the best innovations for a long time....but it is a 'Marmite thing' for some who absolutely hate it ?
Is it a typo, or just your canny scots genes that are asking £500, for a rod you don't like, and state that you only paid £400 for ??:unsure::sneaky:
Abu of old were very good kit, I do not own any of their fly gear, but I have, and regularly use, several of their original 'C' range of multipliers, from 5000c, 9000c, and several 7000c's, which to me are miles better than anything they have sold since.

lax0341

Reaction score
For me it‘s not the point to pay loads of money for a special product with a special label on it but as it is for the guy himself.
If you have the chance to fish a day or two with one of the doyens of a special kind of fishing and participate of their,in long years earned , knowledge then it‘s absolut okay and could be a really good investment. Just to buy any stuff with their name on it is nonsense for me. Even if you could buy the same flies much cheaper on other places or shops.

Last edited:

Auldghillie

Reaction score
There are very few people in this world who can claim not to have been a little bit hypocritical, at some time in their life! ;)
And I would give those very wide berth?:eek:
Thing is, it's what suit your style / needs will always be more appealing. There are lads on here who swear by the Loop cross, I don't know I have never held one ?
I have never got past the Opti powers, to be honest, superb build quality...but different animals across the range...the 13' is an animal, which if you don't bully it, it will bully you ? 14' Evotec...link it with a AFS...pleasure to use all day, for me, on a lowish/ normal floating line river.
You may notice a trend here....they all have the adjustable reel seat....I like a balanced rod, I do it with all my rods, and think it is one of the best innovations for a long time....but it is a 'Marmite thing' for some who absolutely hate it ?
Is it a typo, or just your canny scots genes that are asking £500, for a rod you don't like, and state that you only paid £400 for ??:unsure::sneaky:
Abu of old were very good kit, I do not own any of their fly gear, but I have, and regularly use, several of their original 'C' range of multipliers, from 5000c, 9000c, and several 7000c's, which to me are miles better than anything they have sold since.
Better try and keep to the subject or the Grim Reapers will be after us.

I also bought flies and 3 reels from Loop. The first were well overdressed and the reels were nice but had one serious weakness in that hackle pliers are needed to clamp onto the leader when fishing is paused or ended as the drag cannot be released without the leader becoming caught up in the centre bearing. This is seriously time wasting and an amateurish design-fault IMO. Loop advice being to loosen drag after fishing.

I was offered a refund on the Cross Traveller but kept it as I fish up in the hills, away from everything at times and always carry a Smuggler in my bag which is a bit light for grilse and decent sea-trout. AG

ps I am rather biased v Loop from my working days when I hated guests arriving in the 1980’s with the first Loop crap.

Last edited:

lowforcefly

Reaction score
The grim reaper is something we will all have to face at some time !:LOL:
I don't think there is any piece of kit, from any maker, that will meet everybody's wants, needs, expectations, all of the time?
The best you really can hope for, is it is good enough to do the task you require of it?
I once got tempted, by what I still believe is one of the nicest looking reels on the planet, 'Hardy Angel Mk1,' but I couldn't stop it from going tight, despite several strip downs, and rebuilds. Ended up it had me a nervous wreck when fishing with it, in case I got a tug from a good one.
Sold it to a mate, at a considerable loss, as he thought he could sort it out. He sold it on after 3 months, I suspect not being as honest as I was with him, but admits he couldn't sort it either.
I can't comment on Loop reels, as I have never owned one, but all disc drags should be backed off fully after use. Anything that used a 'Belville type' washer, compression, spring needs to be, due to 'Memory.'
I have never been a 'loyal' to one brand angler, they all produce good, not so good, and bloody awful, and occasionally an absolute classic...time usually tells!;)
As for Mr Frodin, after trying most of the others, I still find I prefer his 'FITS' tubing as I like its softer, flexibility. His HD flash is the best I have come across.....but that is just my opinion.... and I am sure others will think differently !:)

Auldghillie

Reaction score
The grim reaper is something we will all have to face at some time !:LOL:
I don't think there is any piece of kit, from any maker, that will meet everybody's wants, needs, expectations, all of the time?
The best you really can hope for, is it is good enough to do the task you require of it?
I once got tempted, by what I still believe is one of the nicest looking reels on the planet, 'Hardy Angel Mk1,' but I couldn't stop it from going tight, despite several strip downs, and rebuilds. Ended up it had me a nervous wreck when fishing with it, in case I got a tug from a good one.
Sold it to a mate, at a considerable loss, as he thought he could sort it out. He sold it on after 3 months, I suspect not being as honest as I was with him, but admits he couldn't sort it either.
I can't comment on Loop reels, as I have never owned one, but all disc drags should be backed off fully after use. Anything that used a 'Belville type' washer, compression, spring needs to be, due to 'Memory.'
I have never been a 'loyal' to one brand angler, they all produce good, not so good, and bloody awful, and occasionally an absolute classic...time usually tells!;)
As for Mr Frodin, after trying most of the others, I still find I prefer his 'FITS' tubing as I like its softer, flexibility. His HD flash is the best I have come across.....but that is just my opinion.... and I am sure others will think differently !:)
Indeed. My advice as a former ghillie to anyone who is not greatly experienced is to use the simplest gear available to complete the task.

Last edited:

chriswjx

Reaction score
The power of the Salmon Fishing Forum?????

Fordin's flies now £7.32 +VAT, down from £10 last week.

Samurai Series | Frödinflies Shop (frodinflies.com)

again, i don't see where you are getting your £price+VAT...

That's the first fly, set to 4 cm tube, and its £7.32 INCLUDING VAT, or £5.85 ex. VAT

1619692430139.png

JACK POWER

Reaction score
Clash of political cultures and understanding here lads. Scandanavia is a high tax, high public services region. If you think the flies are expensive look at the price of a decent car ... yet very few Scandis drive bangers. But then, they have free health care, education, nursing homes and all that ... I know which I'd prefer!!! That's the business reality Frodin deals with. I've never met Frodin but I like and admire him, his films may be as much marketing as anything but he shares real knowledge if you watch and listen. Some UK tiers charge similar prices and I'm happy to pay for the quality offered. Two really good flies are a lot better than half a dozen iffy yokes. This is such a revealing thread about human nature, the kind that makes me keep coming back!!! Tight lines everyone, whether you throw a £12 fly or a £2.50 Silver Stoat. I might start a thread comparing Purdey shotguns to Kriekhoff's wonderful guns, every bit as good at a fraction of the price!!!

chriswjx

Reaction score

Hoddom

Reaction score
But I do agree, its interesting how this thread's popped up, and now the price is down by about 20%...

Could also be the exchange rate I guess? But I wouldn't have thought there would have been that much fluctuation
The Euro/Pound hasn't fluctuated more than 2c over the past few weeks. The dollar the same. I'm paid in dollars, still mourning 2019 rates when I was getting 1.15. Its 1.39 now :-(

Maybe they were charging VAT twice and realized :)

bonefish41

Reaction score
Put functional necessity for intricate salmon flies aside, his designs are unique and attractive(marketing i.e catch us as well as the salmon); however, as someone new to "real" Atlantics/Baltics during C-19 capture his videos kept me free from booze before the sun goes below the yard arm...particularly with his mate Hokum. However, 15-20 (converted to dollars) for "Thai Stick" or "Constant Gardener" Frodins is marketing smoke...for his tying sure...for any Scandi acolyte tying his, in Scandi, sure...however, decent tying from Asia/Africa/etc at 4-5 sure...how many times has it been uttered in our flyfishing world...it's presentation...