Frodinflies

chriswjx

Reaction score
When you are a public person, or some sort of ”Guru” especially in a salmon fishing community, there’s always people who follow you and like what you doing, like your flies, thoughts and your experiences, and then there’s always people who dislike everything you say and do.
Many of us watched Frödin´s films, articles etc. and I think most of us are just jealous cause he have a chance to fish places where most of us just can dream about.
It is everyone’s own decision how much you want to share public what you are doing, in these times when Social Media controls everything..
I believe it is not easy to make a living in salmon fishing business.

But, about the original dilemma, prices of flies.. Well, I will not or cannot comment about flies he is selling, but 15 Euros, which is like 12 pounds I believe, is nothing for the good fly. I tied out flies a long time and materials I used for my flies cost so much that most of the price just covers the material costs.
There is no ”Right” price for the flies. It is just between the tier and customer.
If you pay 20 Euros for the fly, which is tied from the best possible materials by someone who really knows what he is doing via his experience and you have the durable fly, which dont get stuck, having a great shape, swims beautifully and looked deadly, and you believe it, you also fish better.

And if you land fish of the life time with that ”too expensive ” fly, at that moment it maybe doesn’t feel that expensive at all anymore…😉

Cheers,

From reading here, it seems like the issue that the flies that some folk ordered are being charged at a premium because of the name, rather than the quality of the materials and tying? (See Mammoth69's post)

K MacC

Reaction score
K MacC
£ 4 for materials ? :unsure: The most expensive parts on Frodins flies are the fit bits ? the JC feathers prob next , the fur & feathers etc don't cost £3 a fly ? A sunray will take just as many fish and simples to tie up at way less than £1 each
If you really don't like his products don't buy them but as for costs everything is relevant the cost of materials in other countries is a lot higher so comparing cost is not always transferable to what we pay in the UK!
My last outing was to fish the Tummel it cost £55 for the day I was fortunate and never lost any tackle, I used Megabass Visions in various sizes and the fly. The Megabass lures cost £17 - £20 each, why scrimp on your terminal tackle when it may give you the best chance of a fish? I was carrying in my box 25 + Megabass lures, I have had many fish on them and to me they are expensive but a good bit of kit. It's not the rod and reel that catch the fish, it's your terminal tackle. I see people fishing with £300 rods and reels then scrimp on their lures, Whats the point in that!

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Agree with that. I’m not a fan of Frödins personality, but I enjoy watching his fishing. He adjusts his casting well, mends many ways(even he has become famous of criticizing that), casts different angles and tries to find a way catch a fish. It is pleasure to watch his skills.

About his flies, better not to say anything. Most of “his patterns” are from other anglers, but they work, at least here in Scandinavia. Also he has developed a good tying system, and I use fits tubes and cones quite a lot, so best wishes for his business. But, (imho) Scandinavian tube needs some stiffer hair to swim better, so there is a place for bucktail, polar bear, brown and black bear etc. I’m not a fan of all fluffy and soft flies, you can mix different materials and get good tubes if you just want.

PS: Håkan Norling’s Templedog is better than Pahtakorva ;):ROFLMAO:
Do all the prey creatures of salmon swim uniformly ? Evidence of bunkum for me. I agree with the Spey ghillie above, in Luney’s post. New fish in or change in conditions more relevant and keep your line in the water.

Eg I’ve hooked fish on the “ upside down tube “ many a time. AG

Last edited:

Fruin

Reaction score
As some other's have said, most of the time the price greatly undervalues the effort that went into it. Fair enough to buy cheap flies tied by non-fishers in far flung countries where the average salaries and cost of living are much less than in most countries where salmon run the rivers.
Now, if you use top quality materials to tie a fly it can cost you almost as much to tie it as people are willing to pay. This doesn't even factor in the time taken to tie the fly which can be anything from 5 minutes to an hour depending on the pattern. It also doesn't factor in the rejects from quality tiers. Many will not sell some of them that they tie because they don't think they are up to scratch (ie. finished fly out of proportion or materials breaking while tying the fly), so, that time has to be factored in as well.
I don't tie commercially primarily because the hourly rate would work out so low as to not make it worth the time sacrifice in other areas of my life. I tie classic salmon flies and don't usually sell them either, as most people would baulk at the price I'd have to charge to make it worth my while. I tie them as a way of saying thanks to fellow fishers most of the time. Occasionally people have approached me with a price they are willing to pay for a fly and if it is reasonable then that usually makes me accept the commission.

I suppose you get what you pay for. If you want to pay £3 for a fly tied by a non-fisher who may or may not understand what the fly should behave like then fill your boots. If you want to pay a lot more for a really well tied fly then that is also your choice. For me the fly should be priced on the pattern, materials and time. A fly with a simple body and wing should be less expensive to purchase than a fly with multiple layers.

I am not in the camp that a fly has to use multiple rare materials to catch a salmon. We all know that in the right conditions you can catch a salmon on a bare hook or a very simple fly with nothing more than a few strands of hair. However, we also do not require £1k salmon fly rods and ultra modern, expensive reels to catch salmon. However, you pay for what you like to fish with.

One thing to note is that in times past, in the days of classic flies, a salmon fly could cost as much as half a week's average wage!!!

An observation would have to be - why would somebody be willing to pay £15 for a mass produced spinning lure made from cheap materials, but not pay the same for a custom tied salmon fly with quality materials that has taken 30 minutes to tie by hand?

Hoddom

Reaction score
All MF flies are approx
75kr = £8,76 including vat
85kr = £9. 93 " "

I cannot find a £12 fly ?
your not using the convert to pounds then? im looking at the link and seeing endless flies for what I quoted?

chriswjx

Reaction score
your not using the convert to pounds then? im looking at the link and seeing endless flies for what I quoted?

I've just changed it to gbp at the bottom. Everything is £10. When you click on a particular fly, it's £10 /£8 ex. vat...

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Still bleating on about about the price a frodins fly's 😂 if someone wants to pay X amount for a fly let them batter in it's their money 👍 i certainly don't mind paying for top quality tackle or fly tying materials,

I quite fancy getting someone to do me a few classics to put in a frames for the new tying room and won't mind
paying the going rate for them

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Still bleating on about about the price a frodins fly's 😂 if someone wants to pay X amount for a fly let them batter in it's their money 👍 i certainly don't mind paying for top quality tackle or fly tying materials,

I quite fancy getting someone to do me a few classics to put in a frames for the new tying room and won't mind
paying the going rate for them
Sadly, it has always been thus, and probably, will be so in the future....
It's my money...and thanks, but I will chose my way of 'Peeing it up against, what ever wall I want !'
Just been on ADH....which is largely a 'RRP' site...but with a very large 'In stock' range.
Frodin 10cm Willie Gunn classic...9.60 euro, 6 & 8 cm ...8.90 euro...all inclusive of vat !
Same site fulling mill flies around 4.90 euro, Guideline flies 6.90 euro....
So not a lot of difference to me, if you weigh in the quality, and complexity involved.
Thing I like about the guy is, he shows me places I will probably never get chance to fish, and 'fair play' he puts out videos showing how he builds his creations, which he knows full well people will just use to try and, copy...and I have done!
I personally can't find a lot wrong with him....he's not perfect, but there's a lot worse in our sport!

Henke

Reaction score
Sadly, it has always been thus, and probably, will be so in the future....
It's my money...and thanks, but I will chose my way of 'Peeing it up against, what ever wall I want !'
Just been on ADH....which is largely a 'RRP' site...but with a very large 'In stock' range.
Frodin 10cm Willie Gunn classic...9.60 euro, 6 & 8 cm ...8.90 euro...all inclusive of vat !
Same site fulling mill flies around 4.90 euro, Guideline flies 6.90 euro....
So not a lot of difference to me, if you weigh in the quality, and complexity involved.
Thing I like about the guy is, he shows me places I will probably never get chance to fish, and 'fair play' he puts out videos showing how he builds his creations, which he knows full well people will just use to try and, copy...and I have done!
I personally can't find a lot wrong with him....he's not perfect, but there's a lot worse in our sport!
I think Frodin has had a huge impact on our fishing today..at least on Scandinavian fishing...(tubes, dressings, techniques etc.).
Regarding prices...well his (Far East produced) flies is more expensive that (many) others.... and some mention the poor quality...but I have personally bought flies at half the cost that I (when received) would not even think of using - because of low quality, that you could not se on the web - where the flies showed were different......Most skilled tier's on this forum makes better flies in general.

A short remark regarding prices .......of course many will buy Frodins flies no matter what price the are...
Look at the rods......(brands just metioned as examples)
Loop 15' 7x approx 1500 £ !!
Sage 15' X approx 1200 £ !!
Guideline 15' Elevation 425 £
All 3 rods will work... :)

When we are paying this kind of money for rods (could go on with reels and lines) ofcourse many will pay more than 10£ or more for a tubefly.

:)

Last edited:

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I think Frodin has had a huge impact on our fishing today...(tubes, dressings, techniques etc.).
Regarding prices...well his (Far East produced) flies is more expensive that (many) others.... and some mention the poor quality...but I have personally bought flies at half the cost that I (when received) would not even think of using - because of low quality, that you could not se on the web - where the flies showed were different......Most skilled tier's on this forum makes better flies in general.

A short remark regarding prices .......of course many will buy Frodins flies no matter what price the are...

When we are paying this kind of money for rods (could go on with reels and lines) ofcourse many will pay more that 10£ or more for a tubefly.

Don’t know the guy from Adam so I doubt whether 90% of Scottish ghillies have heard of him.

Only mugs would be daft enough to pay those prices. Like golf now, wait one year and buy last year’s obsolete model which was probably sold as the ultimate. AG

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I think Frodin has had a huge impact on our fishing today...(tubes, dressings, techniques etc.).

When we are paying this kind of money for rods (could go on with reels and lines) ofcourse many will pay more that 10£ or more for a tubefly.

Exactly !...it is up to them, what they buy, and who from....I personally, mainly, tie my own, for good or bad ? :unsure:
Mainly because I have bought some right dogs...unravelling materials, a lot of very poor quality hooks:mad:....so now I only ever buy tubes, unless they specifically tie on something like my favourite...Loop doubles, and 9/10 I buy a couple or 3 just to see how it is tied, and then tie my own version, adding any tweaks I prefer.
There are people on here, and in the marketplace, that are superb tiers...and I would have no hesitancy in buying from them, or recommending them, and have done, in numbers in the past, especially when it is above my limited skill.
I just don't see the need to rip into the guy, for doing what a lot of other people do in this sport....beats charging full whack, when they know there is no fish, and has never been at that time of year? Clothing that just doesn't do what it says it should, rods that go bang when asked to do what they are supposed to?
Mr Frodin trades on his reputation... I bet if everyone who received a lower quality fly than they were expecting for the price point, were to complain, and to send him them backo_O he would very quickly have a hard look at his QA !
Thing is, some would expect it to come with a 20 lb'r already attached?:ROFLMAO:
'I fish because it is what I want to do, nobody can make me!'

Last edited:

Craigk670

Reaction score
I think Frodin has had a huge impact on our fishing today..at least on Scandinavian fishing...(tubes, dressings, techniques etc.).

When we are paying this kind of money for rods (could go on with reels and lines) ofcourse many will pay more than 10£ or more for a tubefly.

If I had another 1200 quid I'd buy another sage x .its each to their own if you want buy it .no need to moan about . If folk tied their own flies it might just change their mind on the price of them .folk dont tie for folk for nothing ,I only do it for friends only

Henke

Reaction score
If I had another 1200 quid I'd buy another sage x .its each to their own if you want buy it .no need to moan about . If folk tied their own flies it might just change their mind on the price of them .folk dont tie for folk for nothing ,I only do it for friends only
I agree....I will happily buy another (not that I need one more !) top rod or reel...no mater what cost...if it is the right gear for me and meet my expectations.
I have mentioned it before...the comparison.....All cars will take you from A to B......then why does everyone not buy the cheapest ? 😆😉😎

Last edited:

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I agree....I will happily buy another (not that I need one more !) top rod or reel...no mater what cost...if it is the right gear for me and meet my expectations.
I have mentioned it before...the comparison.....All cars will take you from A to B......then why do everyone not buy the cheapest ? 😆😉😎
By the same token, if a rod half that price does the job why not buy that ?

lowforcefly

Reaction score
By the same token, if a rod half that price does the job why not buy that ?
Simple....because I don't want to ! ;)
If it was just about catching fish, I would buy a gill net !
Where do you draw the line on this logic....sticks cut out of the hedge back caught fish...why did we move away from them ?:oops:
Don't look at what people are using...look at what they are doing with it !

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Simple....because I don't want to ! ;)
If it was just about catching fish, I would buy a gill net !
Where do you draw the line on this logic....sticks cut out of the hedge back caught fish...why did we move away from them ?:oops:
Don't look at what people are using...look at what they are doing with it !
I’m not criticising you. If folk want to pay silly prices that’s their business. After all it keeps fashion rod-makers in business with models becoming obsolete after 12 months. Gone the same way as golf- a joke.

Beginners in both sports can get caught up in glitter - but it’s not all gold - mostly useless for use with big tubes in the biggest class of rivers in my experience. Seen it all in my work. AG

Last edited:

Silverdream

Reaction score
This has gone far from the first message in this topic.:D:D:D:D

But in some strange way this interest me and this has nothing to do with original dilemmao_O
I emphasize that Im not involved in fishing business, thank God.
I co-operated closely more than fifteen years here in North with our Loomis dealer. I used them when I was teaching casting and made casting demos with them. I have used Loomis rod since the first IMX´s came to Scandinavia, and gone thru most series by the Loomis. I just like Loomis rods and there´s no problems to say that some are good and some are not that good..
I used a really long time GLX´s, still love them, and I was pretty sure, that I won’t ever give up from them. Then the Asquith came to the warehouse and I got the first 15 footer few days before I was going to keep the demo in a fly fishing fair. This happened some years back.
I took the rod out from the package and it felt incredible light. I took reel and one of fav line with me and went to the water. It felt right away really good to my hand. After the weekend in fair I was really confused, cause Asquith seemed to fit my hand better than my GLX´s.

Next week we headed to Scotland to fish the Tay. I took new rod with me, but I was sure that Im still use my GLX´s. When I started to fish I decide to give the new rod a chance. Oh Boy, it felt even better in a real situation. It handled all the lines and situations even better than my trusty 15 foot GLX. When I got back home I called to the dealer, that I want to keep this rod. After next trip I had another, then the third, cause it is good to have two rigs, another with lighter lines and other with sinking head and one for the spare. Then I got also 14 footer...
I still have GLX´s on my closet, but I have not used them since..
This is just a personal example.

Yes, I know this sounds silly to someone, but why Im telling this here, is that sometimes, not always, it could be good to try something new. Materials are better on the tackle now a days, and some products have taken the major step ahead.
In a flies, which was the original dilemma, there is as many thoughts and opinion as there is fishermen and fly tiers. But all the same, the fly have to be the one you trust; even it is self made, purchased, cheap, expensive, swimming up size down or what ever. If you are the tourist like me, and you have limited time to spend in fishing, it is better to have the tackles you like and which suits you best and the flies you trust. I just dont want to spend my time with messing up with tackle when I have chance to fish. I want to fish..

I think it is best to lett Mr Frödin sell his flies what ever price he is asking for them Those who like them are ready to pay the named price, and those who think they are too expensive just tie their own flies or buy them from somewhere else.. simple as that

Cheers

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I’m not criticising you. If folk want to pay silly prices that’s their business. After all it keeps fashion rod-makers in business with models becoming obsolete after 12 months. Gone the same way as golf- a joke.

Beginners in both sports can get caught up in glitter - but it’s not all gold - mostly useless for use with big tubes in the biggest class of rivers in my experience. Seen it all in my work. AG
I didn't think you were !:) and, in truth, i'm more 'Anti fashion,' rather than fashionable ?
I don't like marketing people in general...and think they should be much more regulated!
Most of my gear is actually second hand, and I study, places like this, to try and build my own opinions, and choices. In fact I have only one RRP salmon rod, a 15' Loop Opti Power, which I bought 3 years after the S&T tests....and the price would not come down ?
I don't do prototypes, and would strongly advise against the 'Lastest thing.'I would rather wait to see what the feedback is and weigh if it would suit my needs, and what problems are revealed, after a good bit of use.
I don't have the disposable income to warrant the flashy stuff, but probably wouldn't if I had...short of a lottery win!:cry:
I do, however, tend to buy quality where I can. This is a personal thing, as I have been bitten to many times before, when I have bought cheap, especially reels!
The thing about Frodin, apart from him being a bit mad, is there are a lot worse in the angling game, who do not get anywhere near as much criticism as him, but deserve it far more.
At least he puts out the vids on how his flies are tied, and then it is up to you if you buy, or have a go at copying them...remember there are a lot who don't / can't tie themselves.
I haven't bought any of his flies, I would be inconsolable if I put it up my usual tree !:ROFLMAO: I do look at his range for ideas though!;)
The thing about size, at 60cm, (2 3/8"ish), I would consider that a mid sized fly, and he does a micro range.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
I didn't think you were !:) and, in truth, i'm more 'Anti fashion,' rather than fashionable ?
I don't like marketing people in general...and think they should be much more regulated!
Most of my gear is actually second hand, and I study, places like this, to try and build my own opinions, and choices. In fact I have only one RRP salmon rod, a 15' Loop Opti Power, which I bought 3 years after the S&T tests....and the price would not come down ?
I don't do prototypes, and would strongly advise against the 'Lastest thing.'I would rather wait to see what the feedback is and weigh if it would suit my needs, and what problems are revealed, after a good bit of use.
I don't have the disposable income to warrant the flashy stuff, but probably wouldn't if I had...short of a lottery win!:cry:
I do, however, tend to buy quality where I can. This is a personal thing, as I have been bitten to many times before, when I have bought cheap, especially reels!
The thing about Frodin, apart from him being a bit mad, is there are a lot worse in the angling game, who do not get anywhere near as much criticism as him, but deserve it far more.
At least he puts out the vids on how his flies are tied, and then it is up to you if you buy, or have a go at copying them...remember there are a lot who don't / can't tie themselves.
I haven't bought any of his flies, I would be inconsolable if I put it up my usual tree !:ROFLMAO: I do look at his range for ideas though!;)
The thing about size, at 60cm, (2 3/8"ish), I would consider that a mid sized fly, and he does a micro range.
I have to confess to being a partial hypocrite.

Last year I took sea-trout rod out to fish with a pal but the reel fitting was missing. Rather than tape the reel on, I was offered the loan of my pals Loop Cross demo model. It worked fine on the small river at drought level with an old torpedo head or WF8 Int. Not having bought a new rod for 40 years ( getting my gear FOC ), I fell for the clearance price of £400.

On fishing a medium-sized river, albeit with some fresh water in, I found it soft and useless. The year before, I paid £150 to a hard up chap for 3 new or used S/H trout rods and 2 10/11 ‘ sea-trout rods, one being an old Abu. The following were included: 2 cheap Shakespeare reels and spare spools with lines, waistcoat, bag, waterproof, net and wooden fly box I paid asking price despite my Scot’s genes, feeling sorry for the bloke. I gave away all but the rods.

The Abu rod is twice as good as the Loop which was priced new at £900 at Helmsdale Tackle. The motto is: don’t break one‘s own rules. Newish Loop available £500. Signed useless. AG