Frodinflies

Loxie

Reaction score
I will pay a fiver for a really good fly but 12 quid? Not for me!!

mammoth69

Reaction score
I wouldn’t bother - although the patterns are nice (some of them) most other tiers tie v similar patterns at a fraction of the cost.

Frodin just trades on his name; if you were to purchase- the flies you would actually receive would be poor quality reproductions from Asia.

A mate bought a selection last year - the quality was shockingly bad for the price & all include synthetic JC which I hate.

Steer clear in my view.

M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoops

Reaction score
I bought 4 last year, ended up getting 3 as 1 was out of stock, as was thinking of doing the Fly of the month subscription to vary my fly choices a bit, didn’t bother in the end just stick to Helmsdale & Vfly their flies look better tied to my eye.

Scierra

Reaction score
Blimey £12 for a fly :eek: Probably tied up in East Asia for a shilling each, Having a laugh Frodin is :LOL:
Easy way to be Millionaire.

£12 better value for money buying a Rapala or Vision copy or 4 Salmo tobys, or 4 or 5 British salmon flies (y) Or Carling Lager 18X440ml tins @ £13

I couldn't be bothered to faff on tying multi material lures , they not Flies,

Frodin has lashed out buying a new cap , needs a shave too,

Last edited:

Pompero

Reaction score
Highly over-rated and so full of his own self-importance there can't be much room left for anything else. I cannot suffer him at all (something which i've never really made a secret of ;) )
I admire his criticism of fish farming and his work for wild salmon, but kinda agree with this. He also didn't care much about corona-restrictions when entering Norway last june, people called him out on his social media fotos from Bolstad, but he quickly deleted those comments as he does with all sort of criticism. I dont like his fish handling either, he always makes some sort of point to the camera while the poor fish suffers.

rotenone

Reaction score
I really cant understand why people are shocked by the prices, contrary to popular belief flies don't tie themselves! Any flies I have sold of late were just at material cost say 5 pounds each that's before adding your times.
Here's a costing of a TTT properly tied templedog.
TTT tube 1 euro
Tungsten disc 1 euro
Top quality dyed hair 1 euro
Top quality JC eyes 1 euro

That's 4 euros before you start adding your time.
A correctlt tied Large Scandinavian fly tied with correct proportion with attention to details can take take up 30 mins to build up with the many layers and taper.

A basic wage in Ireland for an unskilled shop worker is 10 euros an hour, you can't class any true professional tyer as unskilled but for arguments sake let's say 5 euros per fly.

To expect any tyer to produce flies like that to sell for under 10 euros is mean, I blame all theass produced cheap crap flies from Kenya and the far east its destroying the custom salmon fly tying industry.

Pick up a properly tied fly and see how it moves in the water, I can't get my head round how people moan and economise on flies when nothing else matters to the salmon.

The flies are very well tied from frodin its not very ethical to expect them to be sold cheaper just because they are tied overseas

Last edited:

ballintemple

Reaction score
There's no doubt that Frodin is a master salmon fisherman. I fished in a group including him ( BTW I don't know him) on an early week on a Kola river in horrible high water conditions & he caught half the weeks total. So no doubt about his skills.
His ideas on salmon flies are also persuasive, as regards a wider scale of sizes based on head to wing tip measurement, the use of soft hackles and materials, and weighted heads (whether you agree with the turbo cone idea or not).

SnapT14

Reaction score
If I paid £12 for a fly and lost it in a tree on the opposite bank I would head home, Don a wetsuit and brave a raging torrent in order to retrieve it. Up a tree on the home bank, well let's say I'd be heading home for the blasted chainsaw.

Absolutely crazy price I my opinion, but I tie flies.
People who don't are perfectly entitled to buy what they like. Properly proportioned flies are best for catching the angler and secondly the fish themselves. It's been proved many a time right before my eyes by people catching fish on flies that I wouldn't even have in my box, let alone on the end of my leader.

Again, even though I know that the fly makes little difference I still spend every minute of my spare time ( short supply at present) tying, tapering, stroking and marvelling at the vast number of colours and shapes that fly off my vice knowing full well that I've been hooked before I even go fishing......the fish?.....well......thats another story!
🤣

heather point

Reaction score
I met him at Dess on the Dee many years ago.
While I was speaking to him, my mate picked up his fly box which he had left open on the picnic table to have a look at his flies.
When he turned round and saw this he went ballistic shouting that these were secret flies and nobody was allowed to see them. I pointed out that if that was the case it might have been better not to leave the box lying open in a public place.
That of course made things worse so we parted having agreed to differ.
Not the most pleasant fisherman I have ever met.

Loxie

Reaction score
I enjoy frodins videos, better than the blaring music posing fun boy videos out there, if he can get £12 a fly good luck to him no one is made to buy them. In salmon fishing jealousy abounds.
I totally agree about the crap music videos thing. He gets it that salmon fishing is a natural outdoor activity. I still won't pay 12 quid for a fly though!

unless I think it might catch me an extra salmon!

Craigk670

Reaction score
I wouldn’t bother - although the patterns are nice (some of them) most other tiers tie v similar patterns at a fraction of the cost.

Frodin just trades on his name; if you were to purchase- the flies you would actually receive would be poor quality reproductions from Asia.

A mate bought a selection last year - the quality was shockingly bad for the price & all include synthetic JC which I hate.

Steer clear in my view.

M.

If you used the same materials it’s small fortune to lay out prior to tying

mammoth69

Reaction score
Absolutely Craig - I completely agree. I actually don’t have any issues with the concept of paying €10 eur + for a really well tied Scandi templedog fly.

You can fish with John Norris budget kit / Shakespeare or prefer to use brands for rods like Hardy’s, Loop, Sage etc & same goes for lines.

Flies are not much different in that regard, there’s lots of good tiers in the uk & lots of good Scandi tiers.

Cost of materials is fair enough tbh especially if stuff like colobus / PB etc goes in to the dressing & Scandi flys take a long time to tie - 10 + steps; compared to uk style, & that obviously would be reflected in the price.

My gripe with frodin’s offerings is you’d think that with his premium pricing you’d be on the receiving end of good quality flies?

Unfortunately I’m afraid not. I’m yet to be impressed with his own Far East offering The quality is poor despite the premium pricing. I’ve always been very dissatisfied when seen them; inspected them. The selection a mate got for the Alta last year was very poor quality.

But that’s business - fair play to him if he can persuade folk to spend 3 x as much as the average uk person spends on a fly.

Horses for courses.

M.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
To be fair Sportfish are selling them for about £8. The raised price is probably Scandinavian rrp reflecting their high taxes. There’s a lot of work in these flies

happy days

Reaction score
I totally agree about the crap music videos thing. He gets it that salmon fishing is a natural outdoor activity. I still won't pay 12 quid for a fly though!

unless I think it might catch me an extra salmon!
Neither would I pay £12 a fly, I have two frodin samurai flies I gave £7 for, they swim well in the water, I admit they caught jack but little else caught on that particular trip.There is plenty of over priced paraphernalia in the salmon world so I won't kick Frodin for earning, at least he can fish :)

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gadzooks I'm in the wrong business :oops:

I honestly don't know what these things I produce and then call my flies cost me but I'm thankful that I received a fly tying kit when I was thirteen years old. Compared to the fellow you are speaking of or for that matter any of you guys who post your flies I consider myself quite crude. I have no knowledge of these flies other than one I watched him tie on a video posted here, I liked the fly enough that I made 3 of them. I haven't used one yet but I'm a creature of habit and always use the fly that keeps catching.

If, .... and I do mean if I could collect the equivalent of 10 GPS for one of my Scandi tube flies that would be roughly $12.00 and 12 GPS would be $16.60. At that kind of money I could likely clean up my style and turn out at least a dozen every day. Hell I'd post them insured and tracked at that rate. One can only dream.

ozzyian

Reaction score
I met him at Dess on the Dee many years ago.
While I was speaking to him, my mate picked up his fly box which he had left open on the picnic table to have a look at his flies.
When he turned round and saw this he went ballistic shouting that these were secret flies and nobody was allowed to see them. I pointed out that if that was the case it might have been better not to leave the box lying open in a public place.
That of course made things worse so we parted having agreed to differ.
Not the most pleasant fisherman I have ever met.
:) :) :) Brilliant!

I'd've thrown his silly hat in the river for that:)

Last edited: