Foxford Shrimp #10

Ypres

Reaction score
If Peter O’Reilly thinks this is one of the best shrimp flies around that’s good enough for me.
CB04DCC0-8805-40D0-B391-6BB462C7437C.jpeg

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I had never seen, or heard of, the Foxford shrimp until I got a copy of Peter O'Reilly's book in the late 1990's.

I remember reading the description of the fly and how the shade of the front hackle could vary. I just can't remember the exact wording of it.

The only hackles I had at the time were natural red cock feathers and these are what I've used since.

The fish I've had on foxfords over the years is quite remarkable. In all conditions too.

If I were only allowed to use one fly for the rest of my fishing life, there's no debate for me that it would be a Foxford. I certainly wouldn't have any fewer fish at the end of the season either.

Although I hold the Curry's Red in such high regard for its place in the development of shrimp flies, the Foxford is probably the best fishing/catching fly that was ever created for me!

mikek1

Reaction score
I had never seen, or heard of, the Foxford shrimp until I got a copy of Peter O'Reilly's book in the late 1990's.

I remember reading the description of the fly and how the shade of the front hackle could vary. I just can't remember the exact wording of it.

The only hackles I had at the time were natural red cock feathers and these are what I've used since.

The fish I've had on foxfords over the years is quite remarkable. In all conditions too.

If I were only allowed to use one fly for the rest of my fishing life, there's no debate for me that it would be a Foxford. I certainly wouldn't have any fewer fish at the end of the season either.

Although I hold the Curry's Red in such high regard for its place in the development of shrimp flies, the Foxford is probably the best fishing/catching fly that was ever created for me!
Hi J/S ,Peter O'Reilly described the front hackle on foxford shrimp as rich ginger.
M

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Hi J/S ,Peter O'Reilly described the front hackle on foxford shrimp as rich ginger.
M

Quoted directly from the book.

"... the front hackle colour is important, being a rich gleaming ginger shade - almost cinnamon in colour - often found in a farmyard Cockerell. Some anglers prefer to use a dark chocolate brown or a furnace hackle as the front hackle."

I took that to mean that if haven't got ginger, use a natural brown hackle. In any case, my foxford based variant has been more than good to me. 🙂