Forty plus?

pond.olive

Reaction score
I have acquired a Redington 7wt 11'3" switch rod and wonder if anyone can advise on suitable lines for it. My Rio AFS 7/8 seems a bit heavy. I mainly want to use the rod for spey-casting. I have seen the Airflo 40+ receive several mentions: would it be a suitable choice?

idbflytye

Reaction score
40+

Pond olive,
I use #7 40+ lines on my 11ft#6 switch rod. This is very much a compromise as they cast quite well single handed and are 'ok' spey casting spey style if distance is not too important. If you want to Spey cast maximum distance I would expect the Rio SFS 6/7 outbound integrated line would be ideal, given that you feel the 7/8 is a wee bit heavy.
I have that line in 5/6 for my rod, but have only fished a wee water with it so far so I've not even had a cast with that line.
Good luck.
Idbflytye

Gruinards

Reaction score
Try the Lee Wulff Triangle Taper, great Spey casting line and also good for overhead, should you need it.

SP8

Reaction score
Try the Lee Wulff Triangle Taper, great Spey casting line and also good for overhead, should you need it.
I would second that, I roll cast one on a 10' rod for seatrout at night and it goes really nicely. I used to use it on a 13'6 Sage 7wt too and it spey cast well on that also.

SP8

albyn73

Banned
Reaction score
I have acquired a Redington 7wt 11'3" switch rod and wonder if anyone can advise on suitable lines for it. My Rio AFS 7/8 seems a bit heavy. I mainly want to use the rod for spey-casting. I have seen the Airflo 40+ receive several mentions: would it be a suitable choice?

If your rod is the of Redfly Series 11373 type then the line that Guide Flyfishing advise you to use is the Rio Outbound.....but

The Airflo 40+ goes really well on it too..and its a lot cheaper also

teififly

Reaction score

Hi, I use a 40+ with my 8 weight switch rod for nightfishing for sewin.
I find it spey casts great and turns over 10' salmon polyleaders with large tubes up to 3" and large surface lures with ease.

Tf.

Deveron

Reaction score
Your AFS would be one line weight too heavy. On this line the last number is the one to go by. Try the AFS 6/7. I use the 4/5 on my 5 weight switch and the 7/8 on my eight weight.

Last edited:

pond.olive

Reaction score
Thanks guys, all advice duly noted.

Redington tech dept have just told me that they suggest the AFS 7/8 if mostly spey casting but the 6/7 if mostly overheading. I think I had better give my 7/8 another chance to fly before trying anything else.:eek:

idbflytye

Reaction score
40+ head weights

Hi Pond Olive, I just googled the above and found a thread in a US spey forum where a guy had posted the weights for these lines.
Cheers
Idbflytye

You will have to look up grains/grams but here it is.

Freshwater 40+ lines that I've weighed (35' version - the saltwater/striper ones are 30' and I don't know how the correspond):

7wt: 286 grains
8wt: 335 grains
9wt: 394 grains

They make a 10wt in the saltwater version, but I haven't weighed that one.

Then they also have their 40+ overhead beach lines (35' head) in a 9/10 (425 grains) and 11/12 (530 grains). I don't think these come in floaters though.

By the way, the Rio outbound 10wt is listed at 425 - not the 11wt.

If you want a heavier floating line with a taper similar to the 40+, not the outbound - they are basically opposite tapers - look into Rio's AFS (heads and/or outbound), Guideline power tapers, Vision Ace, etc.

idbflytye

Reaction score
grains

Hi,
I think that 286/293 grains is pretty close, certainly within an acceptable error rate.
Cheers
Idbflytye

dangler

Reaction score
Can you please clarify whether you are describing the 40+ extreme or the 40+ expert. I believe the extreme has a 30ft head and I find a bit of an insensitive abomination. The expert has a 17yard head, roll and spey casts nicely but is inclined to be a bit heavy against its stated AFTM.

I do think care is needed when referring to these lines in order to avoid potentially huge disappointment and disillusion with regard to forum recommendations. The lines really are that different.

Tight lines, Mike

idbflytye

Reaction score
40+

Dangler,
I think the weights quoted are for the extreme lines, but according to airflow the head weights are the same, just the head lengths are different.
I would be inclined to double check that if I was going to use an 'expert' line myself.
Whether the extreme or expert is a better line is surely very subjective?? A line with a 17 yard head is as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike when you are trying to fish a small water where only short casts in tight corners are required.
Decide what you want from your line rather than listen to advice like one line is better than another.
The short head extreme suits me on one water, but the long head one would be first choice on the bigger water that I fish.
Horses for courses.
Cheers
Idbflytye

dangler

Reaction score
Dangler,
I think the weights quoted are for the extreme lines, but according to airflow the head weights are the same, just the head lengths are different.
I would be inclined to double check that if I was going to use an 'expert' line myself.
Whether the extreme or expert is a better line is surely very subjective?? A line with a 17 yard head is as much use as an ash tray on a motorbike when you are trying to fish a small water where only short casts in tight corners are required.
Decide what you want from your line rather than listen to advice like one line is better than another.
The short head extreme suits me on one water, but the long head one would be first choice on the bigger water that I fish.
Horses for courses.
Cheers
Idbflytye

Idbflytye,
I think you have missed my main point. I rarely see any distinction being made by advocates of "40+ lines" to show whether they are describing the properties or attributes of "extreme" or "expert". We seem to be agreed that they have quite distinct characteristics even though my stated preference may be different to your own.

I was not really trying to suggest that one is better than the other, but I think the precise type of line and its suggested application needs to be made clear.

Tight lines, Mike

idbflytye

Reaction score
40+

Hi Dangler,
I don't think I missed your point at all. And I have no preference. Only in that I prefer the correct line for a given situation.
Does'nt do any harm to point out the plus points for both lines though, and let buyer decide according to his requirements. Rather than just say one line is better than the other without putting your recommendation in context.
Cheers
Idbflytye

dangler

Reaction score
Pond olive,
I use #7 40+ lines on my 11ft#6 switch rod. This is very much a compromise as they cast quite well single handed and are 'ok' spey casting spey style if distance is not too important. If you want to Spey cast maximum distance I would expect the Rio SFS 6/7 outbound integrated line would be ideal, given that you feel the 7/8 is a wee bit heavy.
I have that line in 5/6 for my rod, but have only fished a wee water with it so far so I've not even had a cast with that line.
Good luck.
Idbflytye

Hi Idbflytye,
Maybe I'm a bit sensitive, but your response seems a tad harsh.
Mine was a genuine attempt to advise that "40+" alone is insufficient to identify the line being used, you do need to add "extreme" or "expert" to avoid confusion.
As for context, your post above is a case in point. I have absolutely no issue with its content, but which 40+ were you referring to?
This same observation applies to practically all references I have read which include 40+ lines and this is not intended as any sort of personal swipe.

Tight lines (of any sort):) Mike

idbflytye

Reaction score
40+ extreme

Hi Dangler,
Fair enough. Nothing personal intended. Personally if were talking about 40+ I would be talking about the extreme and would quote the 'expert' if that were the case. I believe the extreme is the original and the expert is the newcomer. Just the way I think. But it would eliminate confusion if the full name was quoted.
Cheers
Idbflytye

dangler

Reaction score
Thanks Idbflytye.

By the way, what's wrong with having an ash tray on a motorbike???:confused::D

Tight lines, Mike

Last edited: