FOREIGN AID

SOS

Reaction score
Are the uk government right to cut foreign aid?
Although it was written in law the amount we pay in foreign aid,i think the gov is right to rethink and cut the amount we pay,the uk and indeed the world is a different place now compared to even a year ago.
We can no longer afford to pay countries such as China and India money that we need ourselves.

tealblue

Reaction score
This will have to be approved by parliament by the look of things. It was Cameron "remember that clown" who increased the amount to 0.07% before he ran away from the big boys.
There will be always countries who will need economic aid but it needs to be managed better.

Safranfoer

Reaction score
8B4983D1-B270-4052-BC18-D8102C56C465.jpeg

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
They’ve only cut it from 0.7 to 0.5 % - that’s roughly 5 Bn out of 15 Bn. So let’s say 10 Bn still to fritter away on despots, crackpots and singing lessons for blind orphans

imagine what 10 Bn means - rather than a pay cut or front line staff. Right now we are ****ed - so I’d say let’s take a break from dishing out the cash (with interest) - the government should set up a ( foreign aid incentive bucket ) - any citizen or private company can do what the **** they like - but If it was my choice, I’d not paying.

Last edited:
Reactions: SOS

Safranfoer

Reaction score
If we stop supplying arms to the regimes bombing the countries we then supply aid to, then the reduction might go unnoticed. Our aid in Yemen is a nonsense, in that regard.

I don’t see how we can justify the spending right now so I don’t have much to say about the cut today, but I don’t think we should forget that we have a role to play in many countries needing the aid in the first place. 100 businesses control the rights to £1trillion of Africa’s natural mineral assets. Most of those businesses are British. The UK government has exerted pressure since colonial times to keep it that way. We’re getting rich enough off the assets of other lands. The subsequent aid budget is, relatively speaking, tiny. I read an argument during the 2016 Brexit discussions (when I was feeling Brexity, due to EU foreign policy) that went it’s better that the UK has the mineral rights, because at least we give back in aid. The local governments wouldn’t use the profits to support their people! It was wonky logic back then and now it’s on even shakier ground.

I know that isn’t how national budgets work though, and I agree that some aid appears to be just trade lubrication. However. It’s ok to stop giving if you also stop taking.

While i’m ambivalent about the news - it’s entirely understandable - it’ll be interesting to see if it has to get through the Lords.

glenclova

Reaction score
They’ve only cut it from 0.7 to 0.5 % - that’s roughly 5 Bn out of 15 Bn. So let’s say 10 Bn still to fritter away on despots, crackpots and singing lessons for blind orphans

imagine what 10 Bn means - rather than a pay cut or front line staff. Right now we are ****ed - so I’d say let’s take a break from dishing out the cash (with interest) - the government should set up a ( foreign aid incentive bucket ) - any citizen or private company can do what the **** they like - but If it was my choice, I’d not paying.
Sadly that will never happen. There are too many politicians who want their egos massaged and seem to think dishing out money makes the UK more important in the world than it actually is. I see nothing wrong with aid when there is a disaster but in our current financial state surely charity begins at home.

SOS

Reaction score
Money we sent to 22 different countries one sixth of the foreign aid budget ended up in swiss bank accounts, these countries should be written off the list straight away.

Walleye

Reaction score
Yes, prove you are not corrupt, get foreign aid. Our government hand over my tax dollars to known corrupt states and individuals. I still don't know how they manage to get that through.

scoops

Reaction score
When they took so long to approve school meals during school holidays for the most needy in this country it makes sense, we should be paying the equivalent that other major countries are paying but only to countries that really need the help!

Safranfoer

Reaction score
We can also afford to revolutionise warfare with £16.5bn worth of exciting war lasers! Pew! Pew!

I think it would be an easier pill to swallow if we actually were cutting the overseas aid budget to look after our own first. But the minimum wage rise isn't happening now, there's a public sector pay freeze for most...

Still. Maybe the lasers will keep kids warm.

To be clear, I understand we need to re-prioritise and this involves tough decisions. And that our aid budget wasn't always used for aid. But I'm not quite able to swallow the 'look after our own first' part of the argument, on current evidence.

goosander

Reaction score
I`d be all for cutting huge chunks of it unless in real proven need, tsunami etc. however I`m old enough to know that a lot of the brown envelopes assist in trade deals.
Brown envelopes ?? Wonder if that was why a certain person went to Barnyard Castle.
A lot of the food sent abroad to help goes to the rebels otherwise it will not be allowed through.
Charity for me starts with our own people.
Bob.

tenet

Reaction score
I tried to contact Stroud District Council this morning and surprisingly was told by the young lady who answered the phone that the entire building has been locked down since April and the entire staff (excluding the janitor) are working (hard ha ha)from home. I would imagine this is mirrored throughout the length and breadth of the country and yet we have a section of the community complaining that wages will be frozen for a period of time.
We are skint and the only thing saving us is the historical low interest rates.
Regarding the 50m face masks below FFP2 standard manufactured without head straps. Surely it's not beyond the wit of man to either (a) modify them or (b) use them as general face masks with just the ear straps. Outwith ICU it would appear that most medical professionals seem to use face masks similar to the ones used by the general public.

glenclova

Reaction score
I see (according to the Herald) that the Scottish government has pledged 2 million pounds to Malawi, Rwanda and Zambia to provide food. Normally I tend to stay out of political discussions but this is from a government who are continually asking Westminster for more money to sped on their pet projects This has taken place just after the UK cut in foreign aid and has clearly been done to have a dig at the UK government. Instead of constantly picking fights or trying to outdo the UK government why don't the SNP start trying to run Scotland properly for the benefit of all the population and stay out of matters which are reserved to Westminster.

Bradan_eire_alba

Reaction score
I see (according to the Herald) that the Scottish government has pledged 2 million pounds to Malawi, Rwanda and Zambia to provide food. Normally I tend to stay out of political discussions but this is from a government who are continually asking Westminster for more money to sped on their pet projects This has taken place just after the UK cut in foreign aid and has clearly been done to have a dig at the UK government. Instead of constantly picking fights or trying to outdo the UK government why don't the SNP start trying to run Scotland properly for the benefit of all the population.
No doubt glenclova your post will go down very well on here but I for one disagree. I'll sit and enjoy my Christmas dinner knowing that children in Africa who would otherwise go hungry will have something to eat. This money isn't handed over to governments. It is invested in charities that guarantee how the funds are to be used and I know some beneficiaries are school feeding programs. Programs that feed children at school. School attendance figures increase massively when school feeding programs are introduced. Kids get fed, they get educated, they hopefully go on to get jobs etc. Hopefully on the back of education countries develop. Naive maybe but better than letting children starve.Anyway I for one am absolutely proud of Scottish or UK foreign aid that tries at least a little to make the world a better place. Have a nice evening.

Loxie

Reaction score
No doubt glenclova your post will go down very well on here but I for one disagree. I'll sit and enjoy my Christmas dinner knowing that children in Africa who would otherwise go hungry will have something to eat. This money isn't handed over to governments. It is invested in charities that guarantee how the funds are to be used and I know some beneficiaries are school feeding programs. Programs that feed children at school. School attendance figures increase massively when school feeding programs are introduced. Kids get fed, they get educated, they hopefully go on to get jobs etc. Hopefully on the back of education countries develop. Naive maybe but better than letting children starve.Anyway I for one am absolutely proud of Scottish or UK foreign aid that tries at least a little to make the world a better place. Have a nice evening.
The logic of that is sound and I'm all for better education and better nutrition. The question is should we borrow money to give? I don't pretend to have an answer.

tenet

Reaction score
"This money isn't handed over to governments. It is invested in charities that guarantee how the funds are to be used and I know some beneficiaries are school feeding programs"

I agree with most of what you say but feel that it would be better to invest directly with charities that are on the ground. We hear too many stories of monies being diverted for personal gain by corrupt government officials.

ozzyian

Reaction score
The logic of that is sound and I'm all for better education and better nutrition. The question is should we borrow money to give? I don't pretend to have an answer.
It is very fashionable. I wonder if the great reset will sort it all out.

SOS

Reaction score
I see (according to the Herald) that the Scottish government has pledged 2 million pounds to Malawi, Rwanda and Zambia to provide food. Normally I tend to stay out of political discussions but this is from a government who are continually asking Westminster for more money to sped on their pet projects This has taken place just after the UK cut in foreign aid and has clearly been done to have a dig at the UK government. Instead of constantly picking fights or trying to outdo the UK government why don't the SNP start trying to run Scotland properly for the benefit of all the population and stay out of matters which are reserved to Westminster.
Political point scoring by wee nippy,ANYTHING Boris and co does i will do the opposite.
Yesterday she told us not to do christmas presents but instead send vouchers,good luck if you have already bought them from arcadia group shops.

Andrew B

Reaction score
How to guarantee said aid is going to help those in need in many of these places is the problem.
Just reading a UN report about some of the worst disasters and how little aid actually got to them is enough to make you wonder how on Earth anyone could take advantage of such things?

Quite separate from the OPs post but all that stuff about Oxfam that came out was crazy.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Political point scoring by wee nippy,ANYTHING Boris and co does i will do the opposite.
Yesterday she told us not to do christmas presents but instead send vouchers,good luck if you have already bought them from arcadia group shops.

Lol “she”