Flys for the Tay

Southpaw123

Reaction score
Fishing Kercock soon and would appreciate any advice on fly choice and tip selection for what am hoping will be normal conditions .

ArchieL

Reaction score
Gary will sort you out , get there early and get a blether with him and he will advise which tips and size of flys. Please listen to Gary regarding safety and wading as there is a few deep holes on the beat. Cottage stream with 10ft Brown tip and size 8 double would be my go too spot and method but if Gary told me otherwise then i would change and follow his advice. Some cracking spots where the line just comes round like a poker over the lies .

neilt

Reaction score
Agree with above.
Floater, 10ft brown poly & 6-8-10, high-normal-low.Longtails, cascades, shrimpys etc First run through.
Then if nothing doing mix it up?
Inty, tip and 1 to 1&1/2 inch Willie Gunn?
Best Tay advice is as above
- listen to the ghillie.

Last edited:

Coneheads

Reaction score
Gary is one of the finest ghillies on the Tay , If not the best ?

Southpaw123

Reaction score
Cheers folks,had a day with my son early September last year but river level went to 7 ish on the gauge by mid afternoon.Gary still had us fishing putting us on the far bank from the hut.My son connected with 2 briefly.We had a great day and Gary as said couldn’t have been nicer,he put us at ease and telling us to keep focused.That was our first experience on the Tay or any other big river hence were going back for 2 days for a belated 50th for me.Fingers crossed for decent water level to enjoy what looks a stunning piece off water ?

TayRaider

Reaction score
I was on kercock recently and Gary recommended a 1” tube with a good bit of orange on it.
Later in the day I got tired of casting the tube and put on a gold Willie Gunn flame thrower on a gold patriot size 6 or 8. Had 2 tugs in the cottage stream on that.
Every time I have been Gary has recommended a floating head with a fast or extra fast sink poly. As above, nice beat & good ghille. Take your rod rest if you have a 4x4 as it can be a bit of a walk since the pick up is out of bounds due to the rona

MikeCC

Reaction score
Anything thats looks like a cascade normally works well on the Tay, although sometimes you have to go outside the box a little....and dont always rely 100% on the gillie(although theyre generally pretty good). I remember working hard one day up that way(plenty fish around) but short of dynamite nothing was really working. We were all fishing tubes and fairly large doubles with a sinking head until I decided in the afternoon to get a little bit radical and switched to a floating line, fast sink poly....and the smallest stoats tail double i could find in the box. Subsequently landed 2 fish and a lost a third in the space of 2 hours! Nobody else touched a thing. Moral of the story - dont be scared to think a little outside the box despite what others may tell you.

Southpaw123

Reaction score
Back home after 2 days on Kercock.Gary was brilliant,he was full off advice and working hard for all the rods.Managed 1 fish on an orange silver bodied ally’s shrimp size 10.Would recommend this beat to anyone looking for fishing on the Tay.Top beat with a top ghille.