Flyline for pike

bender

Reaction score
I use Vision Ace shooting heads which I have spliced to running line backwards, thick section to the front. Old ones which does not have factory made loops are very cheap and casts huge flys when there is no need to long casts and landing with big splash is an advantage.

Last edited:

liphook

Reaction score
Bender that is a novel approach!! I have found that I use a WF9 Cortland Ghost Tip (15ft tip version) line for the majority of both my pike and sea bass fishing. One thing I have found is that a 9 or 10wt is probably the best all round set up. I started off with an 8wt set up but soon found it was undergunned when trying to chuck the big flies you will need to trigger interest from anything but jacks. Turnover is a doddle on a 10wt, though you would not want to use it to fish dry flies to wild brownies in a flat calm.....it's not subtle in the slightest, but the pike don't shy away. Keep your leaders short and stout - 7 or 8ft with 12inches of wire as the tippet is ample. Minimum 20lb b/s. A full floater, ghost tip and a Di5 are all I carry. Good luck and strip hard.

Welsh Dee

Banned
Reaction score
The line I use for big flies and poppers for bass in the sea is the Masterline Toothy Critter. It's designed with a taper to turn over bulky, not very aerodynamic flies and was originally a pike line. Don't know if they still make it, but at 20 quid it was a cracker!

If you've got money to spare then some of the american striper or bass-bug lines will do the job for pike, but they are much more expensive.

liphook

Reaction score
The 'Big Fly' range of lines from John Norris are as good as any branded bug taper WF that I've tried, and half the price. As with all of their own brand lines, they are tremendous value - I can highly recommend all of their spey lines, and twin colour trout lines.

fishing_spirit

Reaction score
Thanks for that guys, to be honest I've never fly fished for
pike and I'll be giving it a go in my local river I know there's
alot of pike in the river clyde so I'll try there first
Ive got a 8# rod but i may buy a 9# or 10# if needed
anway is there any fly patterns that work better than most
or any good step by steps out there ?

Cheers fs

Polar-Magnus

Reaction score
Hi.

The patterns most easy to cast usually consist of artifical material, e.g. Flashflys with weighted heads. A Pike muppet consisting of a long tail (e.g. Big Fly Fibre from Hedron) and a hackle of two large Marabou feathers combined with a brass cone will work as well. These patters can be casted with a common #8 line without a to long front taper properly.

If you are later on going to fish a species line class 9 or 10 like i do, you will be able to cast large Pike Rabbits and other fur streamers as well (icelandic sheep hair and so on), also larger poppers.

Regards,

Ingo

Last edited:

fishing_spirit

Reaction score
Hi.

The patterns most easy to cast usually consist of artifical material, e.g. Flashflys with weighted heads. A Pike muppet consisting of a long tail (e.g. Big Fly Fibre from Hedron) and a hackle of two large Marabou feathers combined with a brass cone will work as well. These patters can be casted with a common #8 line without a to long front taper properly.

If you are later on going to fish a species line class 9 or 10 like i do, you will be able to cast large Pike Rabbits and other fur streamers as well (icelandic sheep hair and so on), also larger poppers.

Regards,

Ingo

Hi there thank's for the reply im really looking forward to
having a go with the pike on the fly i know a couple of guy's gave up
fishing for salmon because they enjoyed the pike so much
im not saying i'll do the same but you never know.
As for materials i bought some ep fiber's and epoxy, ive got plenty
flash materials so although i could buy more i think ive got enough
to get me started all i need is pattern's.

thank's again

fs

Polar-Magnus

Reaction score
Hi Fishing Spirit,

the two Flash patters i most often fish are:

http://www.fvhannover.de/index.php/lexikon/fliegenbinden/314-flash-streamer.html

and

http://www.first-cast.de/Textdateien/Pikeflash.html

The first one has Bead chain eyes. I usually ty it on a Partridge CS45 #2 and add some leadwire to the front part.
The second one has plastic eyes on wire. Leadwire should be added to the front part as well. I ty it one the same hook but # 2/0. Instead of plastic eyes with leadwire brass dumpbells work as well.

Both flys have a certain jigging effect and should be fished very slow when fished during winterseason.

The tying itself is not that matter: Both Flys consis of a Flash tail and a few body segments each consisting of flash twisted in a loop of tying thread. The flys should be trimmed to a shape similar to baitfish with scissors afterwards ;).

Here an example of the Pike Muppet (magenta hackle, black tail could be worth a try as well...): http://www.fliegenfischer-forum.de/adhfish1.html

Cheers,

Ingo

fishing_spirit

Reaction score
Hi Fishing Spirit,

the two Flash patters i most often fish are:

http://www.fvhannover.de/index.php/lexikon/fliegenbinden/314-flash-streamer.html

and

http://www.first-cast.de/Textdateien/Pikeflash.html

The first one has Bead chain eyes. I usually ty it on a Partridge CS45 #2 and add some leadwire to the front part.
The second one has plastic eyes on wire. Leadwire should be added to the front part as well. I ty it one the same hook but # 2/0. Instead of plastic eyes with leadwire brass dumpbells work as well.

Both flys have a certain jigging effect and should be fished very slow when fished during winterseason.

The tying itself is not that matter: Both Flys consis of a Flash tail and a few body segments each consisting of flash twisted in a loop of tying thread. The flys should be trimmed to a shape similar to baitfish with scissors afterwards ;).

Here an example of the Pike Muppet (magenta hackle, black tail could be worth a try as well...): http://www.fliegenfischer-forum.de/adhfish1.html

Cheers,

Ingo

Ingo thank's for all your help mate
I'm going to pick up some tying materials today
and tye some more flies and maybe have a go with them
2moro thanks again

Richie

MiSt

Reaction score
You can not go wrong with a Guideline Pikeline. They are specially designed lines for pikefishing with big bulky flies in windy conditions. The profile is front heavy to load your rod fast and to carry heavy flies well. The coating is also stiff enough for the job. Many 'Pikelines' have too slim runninglines which often slip in smash takes but the GL Pikeline has thicker runningline to give you good control and grip. The low strech core improves hook ups and sensitivity. The 10,5m head is easy to handle in wind and will cast further than you often need to.

Too often so called 'pikelines' are really nothing but heavier regular flylines with a pike in the package. If you think about pike fly fishing and compare it to for example heavy SW fishing you'll notice that the gear might be of similar weight class but the flies used for pike are 2-5 times bigger. You'll also be casting them mostly blind many - many - many times a day unlike say you'd be sight fishing for Tarpon etc. So I recommend you to get a proper pike flyline as it is the most important tool to succeed. :)

Tight Lines!

-Mikko-

Polar-Magnus

Reaction score
You are absolutely right Mikko,

the GL PikeSeries #10 is my first choice as well. An awesome line which even handels poppers and fur streamers in #6/0. The line can be combined with the 4' Airflo Bass/pike Polyleaders as well if sinktips should be required.

The last missing tool in my pike line setup now is a shooting head sinkrate 4 which shall do the job of winterfishing on the deep holes of my home river. The gap is soon to be closed ;).

TL,

Ingo

hingin

Reaction score
Fishing spirit

looks like ye may hiv tae get a heavy rod 9 or 10 line
tae make life easy tae cast the flees required.

Hingin

fishing_spirit

Reaction score
Fishing spirit

looks like ye may hiv tae get a heavy rod 9 or 10 line
tae make life easy tae cast the flees required.

Hingin

You maybe right hingin i'll see what happen's with the rod ive got first
i also need to find out about a permit for the clyde for fishing for the pike
ive seen countless guy's course fishing without permit's
so im not sure if i need one or not i'll have to make a phone call or 2 too
find out

hingin

Reaction score
permit

Fishin spirit

i would purchace a coarse fishing permit n keep yerself
in the right.