Flying c set up

Xrap

Reaction score
Firstly happy new year . I tend to fish rapalas exclusively but have just had a few flying c delivered to try out this year out of curiosity . They came with a free pack of anti kink vanes which im not sure i will use , just seems a cumbersome thing to have on your line . I fish braid and short mono leader with the rapalas , no swivel as non spinning and no issues , but realise its different for a spinning bait like the flying c . Im thinking braid main line ...swivel ...mono leader ...lure , how do you fish yours ?

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Firstly happy new year . I tend to fish rapalas exclusively but have just had a few flying c delivered to try out this year out of curiosity . They came with a free pack of anti kink vanes which im not sure i will use , just seems a cumbersome thing to have on your line . I fish braid and short mono leader with the rapalas , no swivel as non spinning and no issues , but realise its different for a spinning bait like the flying c . Im thinking braid main line ...swivel ...mono leader ...lure , how do you fish yours ?
Yeh that’s how I fish mine also.
Upstream is the best way to fish a flying c.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Pretty much as you describe. If im getting line twist so the braid gets noisey in the guides ill use 2 swivels with a short section of 20lb mono between them.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
personally I don't like using braid with flying c's the braid doesn't have enough rigidity to it to make swivels work properly with flying c's and you always end up with the braid twisted, just my opinions ofc.
I'm sure your reel would have came with a spare spool fire some 12lb maxima on it and see which you prefer.

Xrap

Reaction score
Thats great thanks gents , can you point me in the direction of a nice strong but small swivel and is ball bearing necessary

Xrap

Reaction score
personally I don't like using braid with flying c's the braid doesn't have enough rigidity to it to make swivels work properly with flying c's and you always end up with the braid twisted, just my opinions ofc.
I'm sure your reel would have came with a spare spool fire some 12lb maxima on it and see which you prefer.
I love my Stradic but annoyingly no spare spool

Rrrr

Reaction score
Thats great thanks gents , can you point me in the direction of a nice strong but small swivel and is ball bearing necessary
Ive been using these quite abit for aboit 3 seasons. Dont get much line twist with them.
Bb swivels from spintec are also decent but you do get the odd bad one.

Xrap

Reaction score
Ive been using these quite abit for aboit 3 seasons. Dont get much line twist with them.
Bb swivels from spintec are also decent but you do get the odd bad one.

They look good thanks , what size would you use in these ?

Rrrr

Reaction score
They look good thanks , what size would you use in these ?
Ill have to check. Think its either the size 18 or 20.

Chicharito

Reaction score
I have had no problems with braid twisting when spinning at all. Just use decent quality largish swivels (size 2).

Rrrr

Reaction score
I have had no problems with braid twisting when spinning at all. Just use decent quality largish swivels (size 2).
Only reason i avoid the large ones is that seatrout seem to spot a mepp then have a go at the swivel instead of the lure if its too big.

Sewinboy

Reaction score
Flying C, along with other lures such as Irish minnows, do cause a lot of line twist, especially on larger rivers using larger flying C. I use to take the split ring off the front of rapalas, then use them to attach a quality ball bearing swivel to anti-kink vanes. They would eliminate line twist completel.

sneakypeter

Reaction score
Interesting, but myself and a good few others fishing the Avon use braid with around 8/10ft of heavy fluoro leader tied direct to mepps/flying c, no swivel, and no issues. Ok its mainly short range, but it works! DO NOT try this with mono, guaranteed mega twist????

Xrap

Reaction score
Interesting, but myself and a good few others fishing the Avon use braid with around 8/10ft of heavy fluoro leader tied direct to mepps/flying c, no swivel, and no issues. Ok its mainly short range, but it works! DO NOT try this with mono, guaranteed mega twist????
That is interesting indeed , im on a small river and run braid with fg knot to fairly long mono leader . Under arm flick is all thats needed most of the time , maybe im worrying too much

Chicharito

Reaction score
I fish the bottom Tweed and have had no problem at all with line twist. My braid is at least 4 yrs old and shows no sign of needing to be replaced anytime soon!

largy2001

Reaction score
Can’t go far wrong with spintec ball bearing swivels. Tie 2 on if needs be but i’ve never had to. You’ll find the bigger the swivel the less line twist you get