Fly Tying Scissors

Rennie

Reaction score
My existing scissors are getting past their best and I feel its time for new ones.I currently own the Vieniard ones, a matched pair of tough point items with the black plastic handles.
Now I'd like a good scissor, one for the delicate stuff and one for the tough stuff and I don't want to pay the earth or get ripped off.
So any recommendations out there?, the advancing Chinese influence no doubt will feature heavily, but are they worth the punt?, or best avoided.
Many thanks, Pedro.

BlennyBoy

Reaction score
Hi Pedro, I am in the same boat, so to speak. Does the range of prices reflect the range of quality? Somehow I resent spending £40+ on scissors if they are not going to last a life time. Anybody had luck sharpening them?

jimthefish

Reaction score
I use Anvil scissors (the ones with the blue handles) and find them excellent and reasonably priced. Both the curved ones which handle all kind of hair, etc and fine pointed straight ones for more delicate stuff.
Many years ago I purchased a pair of fine curved medical scissors from a chemists shop and they are superb for really delicate stuff.

Hoddom

Reaction score
try surgical suppliers - stitch scissors are what your after. Bulk buy available as are pairs at 150 quid if you need them....

Jimmcl

Reaction score
I bought a pair of scissors from Toby at Funky FT when they were only a few mile from where I live, and still use them. they were about £15 i seem to remember. However now they've moved their prices have become daft, so buy the dental scissors from Ebay, for less than a fiver, and they are really sharp.

Lurig

Reaction score
I have Tiemco Razor Scissors with Tungsten Carbide Blades & they are fantastic but they cost £46.
Expensive but very very good.

gwelsher

Reaction score
Forget all the fly tying scissors. They are mainly rebadged surgical scissors with a massive price increase so buy surgical gum scissors direct.
Look at this recent post

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I like the Veniard or Dr Slick Razor Scissors for fine stuff. Sharp as you like and don’t cost the earth. I’ve only got both because the trouble is that the fine points don’t last long if you drop them point down on your stone floor…

chriswjx

Reaction score
I like the Veniard or Dr Slick Razor Scissors for fine stuff. Sharp as you like and don’t cost the earth. I’ve only got both because the trouble is that the fine points don’t last long if you drop them point down on your stone floor…

Clip em to a zinger or something attached to your vice/tying station?

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am using a pair of Dr. Slick's that are small and have a slightly curved blades. I have no idea the model name because I bought them circa 1995. The fact that I am still satisfied with their performance says something I think. I don't know where they were produced back then but if the time comes I need another I'll likely get the same brand. I think I paid something like $14.00 USD for them.

Rennie

Reaction score
Well folks, I took a punt on a Black Friday deal last evening, three types of Blue handled scissors from Anglers Den, one heavy duty 4" items, one smaller all round item and a fine point delicate pair for £15 delivered.
Saw some real beauts at impressive price's, but followed the communal advice in that one dosen't need to spend pots of wedges's of cash.
Perfect day for fly tying too, sat next to a warm radiator watching every one outside skidding about in the snow and freezing various bit's off.
Cheers, Pedro.