Fly tying material share

gwelsher

Reaction score
A will tye u some flies for materials

Ade started this post so that members could ask for a sample of a material so they could "try before you buy"
There are so many things on the market that you don't want to pay £4+ a packet every time you want to try things. Same thing if you only want to tie a few flies of a particular pattern.
If there is anything you are looking for put up a request for a sample and I'm sure somebody will help.

tealblue

Reaction score
Ade started this post so that members could ask for a sample of a material so they could "try before you buy"
There are so many things on the market that you don't want to pay £4+ a packet every time you want to try things. Same thing if you only want to tie a few flies of a particular pattern.
If there is anything you are looking for put up a request for a sample and I'm sure somebody will help.
Could somebody send me a grade A jungle cock cape please😂😂😂

• Angry
Reactions: Ade
G

GEK79

Fellow tiers

I have a rook load of materials that I have bought over the years and many of them I don't use that often. I will detail them if requested.

I've been in the situation where I wanted to tie a couple of flies but didn't have the materials for it. I've been in that situation many times, but it sometimes doesn't warrant buying say a cape for a couple of flies.

If I have a material you'd like to try for a couple of flies I'll happily post you a sample. Is anyone else willing to do the same? It may also be a good way of trying before buying and finding out the best suppliers of the best materials.

Like I said, I'll let you know/photograph what I have if anyone is interested and would be willing to send a small sample that would do a couple of flies to anyone who seems genuine about tying and has a need for a particular material.

Maybe a nice idea would be to repay with a fly you've tied with the materials sent just so it becomes a sharing thing not a wanton giveaway.

ATB

Ade

PS Oh, and maybe submit the fly you tie into one of the comps or the SBS
Not so much looking just enquiring I'm about to try tying and wondered what general opinions on threads would be..
Thanks as always
Gary..

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Not so much looking just enquiring I'm about to try tying and wondered what general opinions on threads would be..
Thanks as always
Gary..

I like Gordon Griffith’s Sheer 8/0 and Ultra 70.

The Sheer I find to very consistent in strength and colour and is a good ‘standard’ thread.

The Ultra lies flatter when untwisted and has a much higher almost translucent shine to it which I like for coloured heads or when making a thread body on trout flies. It’s also my preference for classic flies.

G

GEK79

I like Gordon Griffith’s Sheer 8/0 and Ultra 70.

The Sheer I find to very consistent in strength and colour and is a good ‘standard’ thread.

The Ultra lies flatter when untwisted and has a much higher almost translucent shine to it which I like for coloured heads or when making a thread body on trout flies. It’s also my preference for classic flies.
Thanks Iain.. Is that a good start for a rookie..

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Thanks Iain.. Is that a good start for a rookie..

For a complete beginner (unless tying very small flies which I wouldn't recommend as a beginner) then I would suggest starting with Gordon Griffiths 6/0 cobweb; one in black and one in olive. The reason being that the 6/0 is stronger and so more forgiving and this is lightly waxed which will help with dubbing and building head shape. That will allow you to easily down to a #16.

As you get more proficient I would then buy only 8/0 thread which will allow for smaller and neater heads and smaller flies although for #18 or lower I use 14/0 or nano-silk.

I only step up to 6/0 or thicker for big pike and bass flies or large muddled heads when I want to make sure my thread is up to tightening the deer hair without cutting through it!