Fly tying material share

Ade

Reaction score
Fellow tiers

I have a rook load of materials that I have bought over the years and many of them I don't use that often. I will detail them if requested.

I've been in the situation where I wanted to tie a couple of flies but didn't have the materials for it. I've been in that situation many times, but it sometimes doesn't warrant buying say a cape for a couple of flies.

If I have a material you'd like to try for a couple of flies I'll happily post you a sample. Is anyone else willing to do the same? It may also be a good way of trying before buying and finding out the best suppliers of the best materials.

Like I said, I'll let you know/photograph what I have if anyone is interested and would be willing to send a small sample that would do a couple of flies to anyone who seems genuine about tying and has a need for a particular material.

Maybe a nice idea would be to repay with a fly you've tied with the materials sent just so it becomes a sharing thing not a wanton giveaway.

ATB

Ade

PS Oh, and maybe submit the fly you tie into one of the comps or the SBS

Last edited:

Altmor

Reaction score
Not a bad idea Ade, especially for some of the beginner tyers.
I'm all for that if it helps us all together.
Altmor.

henno

Reaction score
materials swap

great idea mate, i would be all for a materials swap. good to get hold of something that you dont have and vise versa.

i have loads of materials that dont get used.

cheers

h.

CB

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to me as well Ade :) I'm not in the UK but I'd be up for sharing whatever I have as well, I like the idea of somehow doing swaps either for a fly or maybe some other materials just so it doesn't become one way traffic ;)

As for listing materials we have ... Maybe it's easier if someone is looking for a specific item they put a request in a certain thread and people interested in helping can have a look and see if it's anything they have?

gwelsher

Reaction score
Great idea Ade. I have more stuff than you can shake a stick at, especially Arctic Fox in all its types and colours and loads of other hairs. But I still find that there are things that you need for a certain pattern but you are reluctant to buy a full tail/cape until you see the results for yourself. I am willing to kick the ball off.
I am looking for some Deep Hot Orange Bucktail and same colour Badger hackles. More than willing to return some flies or swap for any of the stuff I have.

Ade

Reaction score
As for listing materials we have ... Maybe it's easier if someone is looking for a specific item they put a request in a certain thread and people interested in helping can have a look and see if it's anything they have?

Good point as usual CB, I realised when I offered to list/photo mine that it would take an effort.

Altmor, what are your thoughts on a section for folk to enquire about a trial of a material as long as they were at least willing to show the results in any of the flytying sections?

I'd like to build a married wing. I bought some different turkey pairs. I also bought some died duck quills. I think the duck quills are not what I really should have bought, but this is my point, I'd rather let people try what I don't need if it's something they might. And they might have just a small bit of what I might need as a swap.

I also have JC capes that have some of the longer nails that have a fair few splits but that I see are favoured by some on large tubes of their tying.

But I'm not just on about poor stuff! I have some real quality materials too.

I think it would also be useful to let folk know where the materials were obtained from, and any notes on dealings with the supplier.

ATB

Ade

Ade

Reaction score
I am looking for some Deep Hot Orange Bucktail and same colour Badger hackles. More than willing to return some flies or swap for any of the stuff I have.

Good start gwelsher

I'll check my stash and let you know what I have. I'm pretty sure I have some form of both, but if not I'm sure this will mark the first test of the point of this thread; someone will have what you need and be able to tell you where you might be able to get it from if it suits.

(I know I have orange badger from John at Lough Swilly and I do have orange bucktail - might be just what you're after)

Will post back here if I have something and then we'll go to PM from there bud :D

ATB

Ade

Ally G

Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone has some blue kingfisher do they??

I am trying to source some to make my fly for the swap a bit more authentic, failing that does anyone know of a good substitute?

any help would be much appreciated

AllyG

Ade

Reaction score
I don't suppose anyone has some blue kingfisher do they??

I am trying to source some to make my fly for the swap a bit more authentic, failing that does anyone know of a good substitute?

any help would be much appreciated

AllyG

McHardy's do Indian Kingfisher if you have no luck on here AllyG

henno

Reaction score
Great idea Ade. I have more stuff than you can shake a stick at, especially Arctic Fox in all its types and colours and loads of other hairs. But I still find that there are things that you need for a certain pattern but you are reluctant to buy a full tail/cape until you see the results for yourself. I am willing to kick the ball off.

hi mate

i may have some orange badger hackles, away for a few days, i will check when i get home.

cheers

h.

Ade

Reaction score

Hello Gary

I have a Hot Orange Turralls Bucktail from Meadow Fishery and an Orange badger cape from John at Lough Swilly (I now recall asking him for hot orange). I've taken a photo if you want to have a look as I don't know what you mean by "deep" hot orange, but these two match up pretty well. Let me know if you want to see the photo and if it's to your liking I can send you a little sample of each

ATB

Ade

PS. Henno, you have a PM

gwelsher

Reaction score
Hi Ade
When I say deep I mean dark orange. I find that orange or hot orange can be all sorts of shades. Love to see the picture.

salmon boy

Banned
Reaction score
Hi i have dave downie artic fox in blood red and fl sunburst also 3 new hanks of crystal flash in orange,pearl,gold.

i have just started tying salmon flys wonderd if anyone had any jungle cock with splits etc that they werent going to use for swap for the materials above:eek:

Ally G

Reaction score
Firstly thank you Abe for pointing me in the right direction online, it says £11 for the skin so may do that in future, looks like quite a good source for some uncommon materials,

Thats very kind Peter I will pm my address I dare say my material stash is a bit sparser than yours but if there is something I can offer in return I will!

Ally G

Ade

Reaction score
Hi Ade
When I say deep I mean dark orange. I find that orange or hot orange can be all sorts of shades. Love to see the picture.

Hi Gary

As promised, this is what I have that I can share a small sample of with you or others that would like to try a small sample

Looks like Jungle Cock is a favourite at the moment for a swap! Fair enough! It's like the price of copper these days!

Anyone got any copper wire :D

Have a look and if it suits send me a PM. There will be enough feathers and a sample of the bucktail to have a look at and tie a couple of flies and if you like it you can then get your own.

Ade

gwelsher

Reaction score
Ade
PM sent thanks. Looks great.
I find it difficult these days to get the colour/quality in materials that I want as I have to buy online and take a chance. I do buy from good suppliers and pick up advice from the forum but it can still be pot luck.

Ade

Reaction score
Has anyone got enough for a fly to enter for one of the comps yet?

If not, shout up or keep going ;)

Ade

PS. to all, offer enough of your stash to make a couple of flies, and hope for something back. Please also remember the comps and get your flies in on time.

salmon boy

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone got enough for a fly to enter for one of the comps yet?

If not, shout up or keep going ;)

Ade

PS. to all, offer enough of your stash to make a couple of flies, and hope for something back. Please also remember the comps and get your flies in on time.

hi mate could u tell me where you get your bucktail from ?

thanks