Fly Swap March 2017

deanevans

Reaction score
That's 8 now, big welcome to Dean the newbie! Agree 100% with earlier comments, tying 10 of the same fly really does bring your tying on leaps and bounds and you'll notice the difference, know I did, and still learning with every one. Stick with something simple but effective and you won't go far wrong. Glad to have you join in :cool:
Thanks gary

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

GaryD

Reaction score
No other takers so looks like its 9 for this swap, one less to tie :p

Theme for this one is low-water/summer patterns, and as usual can be hooks or tubes.

Due to holidays deadline is mid-April, but once you've decided on a pattern post a pic on this thread so we don't get 9 the same (not likely, but in an infinite universe its bound to happen at least once :)), then post them off with an SAE.

Tight lines,

Gary

ps: anyone who needs my address, pm me.

gwelsher

Reaction score
If you want I will do 2 sets to make up the full house. My favourite summer flies.

Yellow Ally

Ally Yellow.jpg

Crathie Gold

Crathie Gold Edit.jpg

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Vambeck

I thought I would go for the Vambeck - our non Irish members may know it as a silver stoat variant.I first saw it on the Owenmore (Mayo) about 10 years ago and it is very much a go to summer tail fly for me on both the Owenmore and Slaney and is good for both salmon and seatrout.
As this is a low water swap I have used #10 hooks which are on the small side. Peter O'Reilly's book talks of tying it it between 6 and 12. I hope to get the rest done over the next week or so.
Vam Beck.jpg

GaryD

Reaction score
My entry this month, a Foxford Shrimp tied on #8 single for those who have restrictions on other hooks. Tied to Peter O'Reilly's recommended proportions, ie 3/5ths and 2/5ths body, mid hackle reaching back of hook and front hackle to hook point and tail just over hook length. Hope you all like :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
It took a lot not to tie another Silver Stoat or a Dunkeld or Silver March Brown but eventually I managed it. A Coachman on #12 double, or B175 #10 for SlaneyBS. Got the idea from an old post by 'Pendejo'.

IMG_0674.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
It took a lot not to tie another Silver Stoat or a Dunkeld or Silver March Brown but eventually I managed it. A Coachman on #12 double, or B175 #10 for SlaneyBS. Got the idea from an old post by 'Pendejo'.

View attachment 19027

Very nice! ;) I don't mind if mine is tied on a B175 if you want to save your doubles?

Most of my own summer stuff is on those hooks and I have complete confidence in them.

Slaneybs

Reaction score

GK
Many thanks for thinking of me!

I will in the UK later in the week so will drop into a post office to post mine from there and will be able to include an SAE with the correct make of stamp for Gary for a change.

Brian

Last edited:

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Same as! I'll take a B175 too. Will probably tie mine on an B175 #8 anyway, likely a Dark Mackerel. You can stick it on the dropper above SlaneyB's

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Oh no, Gary's going to deal with 2 hook variants instead of my 2 flies . . .

Don't you lot know that Salmon only take doubles??

GaryD

Reaction score
Think I'll manage with which hooks are for who :p, but whilst on just to confirm I'll be away on holiday shortly and not back till mid-April so won't be able to confirm receipt of flies. Got builders in so they have instructions on where to put mail and will sort on return. Meanwhile, post pics of your flies and when sent so everyone knows whats happening.
Gary

gwelsher

Reaction score
Change of plan for me as I can't find my Amherst tippets so it will be a Dusky Grilse on a wee 10mm crimp tube.
As the name says it is deadly for Grilse and also at dusk.

Dusky Grilse1.jpg

Last edited:

Canewizard

Reaction score
Will finish mine today and post tomorrow. Gary, can I wire you the postage (PayPal, Bank)? Don't wanna throw a handful of change in the envelope ;)

IMG_20170402_184433050.jpg

GaryD

Reaction score
Canewizard, think postage to Germany is about £2.50 so a 5 euro note will just about cover this and the next swap.

ps: currently sitting by pool in Tenerife with a cool beer
in 26c heat, life is hard sometimes...

deanevans

Reaction score
Here is mine as everyone seems to be tying flys for sub surface I have gone for a different tactic a small squirrel hitch tube. Wouldn't leave home without one or two

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk