Fly Swap February 2016

GaryD

Reaction score
Ok, think that's us as far as entries go, so we'll run with what we have;)

Same format as usual, we each tie 8 of the same pattern, whether its on hook or tube, send them in and by return you get 8 unique flies (incl one of your own).

The theme for this one, coming up to the new season, is "The fly I'll use for my first cast of the year", which as we all fish different rivers should give us some variety.

Entries as follows:

billy fish
Heero
Scottygilbert
Jockiescott
Jockiescott (ghost-tying for gwelsher)
edmaudling
Garyd x 2

If all flies can reach me by 26th February I'll get them sorted and in post by 29th. :D

Last edited:

Heero

Reaction score
Ill join this one. Need an excuse to tie a few flies.

Heero

Reaction score
I doubt Ill salmon fish this year, tho, and if I do itll be in a lough. So its either lough flies from me or a simple 'spey' fly like this prototype Ive just whipped together a minute ago:

Preferences?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'll join in if that's OK.

Make that 2 sets. I'll tie a set on behalf of GWelsher if no-one minds?

Heero

Reaction score
I started tieing more of those but I could finish even one other. Turns out thats not the motivation I was looking for.

Im going to tie lough flies for yall. But since they are less labor intensive, Ill tie yall each a cast of 3 to fish. I sat down this afternoon and started with a Clan Chief Muddler.

Ill decide on the other two patterns when I sit down to tie next time! Hope someone gives them a go for me and catches one.

Heero

Reaction score
Second fly complete.

Im sure everyone knows what this fly is called. But if you dont, Ill give a hint: Its named for some ye old-timey trollop of yesteryear.

Heero

Reaction score
Guys, I started tying the 3rd set a minute ago but I ran out of jay so Im going to drop out of the swap.

I joke! Ill get more this week.

Here is the team:

edmaudling

Reaction score
Look great

Team of two really good for surface work as the dynamics of presentation are different with two rather than three. Muddler dropper and either of the two on point.

Perfect for a swim at Kylemore when I get there later in the year.

GaryD

Reaction score
Modern Tosh

Weather terrible today so got my 10 tied, modern variant of the Tosh. Heads still to be varnished, but thats enough for tonight :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 456

GaryD

Reaction score
Still waiting on another 3 to make the quorum, if not got them by Tuesday I'll do another set (prob black and yellow cascade pattern I've been playing around with last few days) and with Heero's 3 flies its still a good return ;)

GaryD

Reaction score
Post up at start of thread with details, I'll do a black and yellow cascade as well as the Tosh to take it up to 8 in swap and donate extra set to Lets Tackle Cancer along with spare set from last swap. :D

GaryD

Reaction score
Tosh's and Streamers

Thats me all done with two patterns, decided not to do two black and yellow flies and did a streamer pattern instead of a cascade to go with the Tosh's I'd already done.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 293
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 395

Scottygilbert

Reaction score
Got mine finished up last night, hopefully in the post tomorrow morning.

Had to be an Inverness Black Shrimp, albeit in a PBP style plus a modern holo gold / black body, 1" copper tube, could have possibly gone even bigger considering the water speed / level up here last weekend.

Was fun, but haven't tied a set of identical flies since I was 17 and doing it for pocket money (ok, beer money :rolleyes:)

Looking forward to seeing the others

Scotty ;)

Heero

Reaction score
Picked up more jay this week. Ill tie the remaining 6 this weekend and mail out beginning of next week along with a crisp $10 (genuine Merkin monies) for return shipping.

billy fish

Reaction score
Fly swap

Just finished tying up all my tube fly bodies. Just got to tie on the wings and other bits . Should be finished by next weekend.
Colin.

Heero

Reaction score
Finished my flies this morning then mailed off the package just an hour or two ago. Usually takes a week or so to get over there.