Fly Rod modification to a Prawning rod

Dave Wilkins

Reaction score
Hi
I have read some articles and seen some video of anglers using salmon fly rods for prawning . However if the rod is used for trotting a float the position of the reel ( down the handle) seems wrong to me . Some have suggested changing the rod handle to allow the reel to be used in a more user friendly position at the top of the handle . Has anyone done such a modification ? Also if the fly rod is used for prawning / trotting has anyone swapped the snake eyes on the fly rod to more normal rod eyes . Does it make a difference ?
Cheers
DWW

Bonito

Reaction score
I`ve used fly rods for worming often. Not as a regular thing but when conditions dictate. I simply carry a plate reel seat in the bag and insulating tape. More than ample for a couple of days. Fitted on in less than a minute and even less to take it off and you are back to the fly rod set up.

Dave Wilkins

Reaction score
Hi Bonito thanks for that info. I had considered that approach but intend to use the rod on a regular basis so the swap over might be a better option . I think the rods extra length may be useful for the method.
Thanks
DWW

gwelsher

Reaction score
I converted an 11' fly rod for sea trout worming by spigoting in a 12" extension below the handle. It already had Fuji eyes throughout so no need to change them. You could not do that with a double hander though with snakes. I would find a rod builder to do the handle and rings for you unless you can do it yourself. The other option is to look at 13'+ Barbel rods.

Patrick Hooper

Reaction score
Hi
I have read some articles and seen some video of anglers using salmon fly rods for prawning . However if the rod is used for trotting a float the position of the reel ( down the handle) seems wrong to me . Some have suggested changing the rod handle to allow the reel to be used in a more user friendly position at the top of the handle . Has anyone done such a modification ? Also if the fly rod is used for prawning / trotting has anyone swapped the snake eyes on the fly rod to more normal rod eyes . Does it make a difference ?
Cheers
DWW
By the way, i never did the modifications for the rod but I have got the guidance here hope you will get benefit too. Thanks!

Dave Wilkins

Reaction score
I converted an 11' fly rod for sea trout worming by spigoting in a 12" extension below the handle. It already had Fuji eyes throughout so no need to change them. You could not do that with a double hander though with snakes. I would find a rod builder to do the handle and rings for you unless you can do it yourself. The other option is to look at 13'+ Barbel rods.
Thanks , yes I may well use one of my coarse rods . I have a few powerful float rods that will fit the bill . I just fancied using the fly rod !

sneakypeter

Reaction score
In theory it should be possible to make a double hander with a reversable handle, female spigots at top and bottom, another joint to the blank, but should work, sounds expensive for a whim, just get a decent barbel rod, you are either prawn fishing ,or fly fishing, switching set ups sounds like a lot more stuff to carry!!!!!

mikek1

Reaction score
Hi
Cheers
DWW
[/QUOTE
Hi DWW, Shakespeare done a fly/bait rod I think it was 13ft. Where you just reversed the handle.
Mike

mikek1

Reaction score
Hi
Cheers
DWW
Hi DWW, Shakespeare done a fly/bait rod, I think it was 13ft where you just reversed the handle.
Mike

laird of aros

Reaction score
I use nothing but my Diawa Whisker 11ft 3" fly rod for worming. I couple it with a small Shimano reel and find the balance absolutely perfect. The sensitivity as the worms trickle down the current cant be beaten in my opinion.

Saint Andrews

Reaction score
IMO you need backbone in a rod for shrimping/prawning because you have to strike immediately and set the hooks hard before the fish ejects the bait. To this end a long soft fly rod doesn't have the back bone to be efficient at setting the hook on an immediate hard strike. of course it can be used, and some do with success, but there are much better rods which are fit for purpose I'd use before considering using a fly rod. Worm is different as the take and how you set the hook is different, fly rods work just fine for that method.