Fly Line recommendation for Graham's Grilse Special 11'3"

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Yes sorry, I'm giving AFTM ratings but don't suppose that is much use really. I'm not sure. I went onto the maxcatch website there and their single hand spey lines have no line weights on their website. Really frustrating so I'm not sure what weight it is.

Checking the hardy mach spey line in a 7/8 it says that the weight is 35g. It did feel heavy on the rod but not far too heavy.

Having used it and got on all right with it I'd actually have thought the 27g might have been alright and I don't normally use heavier lines than necessary. BUT given you are saying the 8/9 takes the 27g then I guess the 7/8 really should take something lighter?

Unfortunately it sounds like there is quite a bit of trial and error in order I think!

The rod feels very good though, lot of feel to it and was very surprised to see it has spigot joints.

Trial and error hits the nail on the head I'm afraid. I bought an Orvis hydros to try on the rod before I got the scandi short. I probably could have worked with the hydros but for me, the short scandi is just much nicer to use.

Andrew B

Reaction score
Love those kind of rods. I once had a Jon Norris and used it for sea trout on the Teifi and even smaller rivers to fish boulder type sections. This is why I never understood the switch rod craze as those grilse/sea trout rods were the same thing imo?

Finglas

Reaction score
Love those kind of rods. I once had a Jon Norris and used it for sea trout on the Teifi and even smaller rivers to fish boulder type sections. This is why I never understood the switch rod craze as those grilse/sea trout rods were the same thing imo?

I never really got taken into the switch rod business. I suppose this sea trout special would be considered a switch by modern standards as you say? Probably some marketing department somewhere saw an opportunity to reinvent a wheel that wasn't broken but would make them extra cash!

Keith Lawlor

Reaction score
The blanks of the sea trout special and the grilse special are definitely not suited to trout weight forward lines and need switch lines to flex the rod and make them load properly, I said it on this forum that I used a trout line and it cast terribly, then I used a switch line and it was like a different rod, they are a great rod all the same and I can't wait for snowbee to start making the switch lines again after this covid **** ends, as they seem to be the best switch line out there at the moment 👍

Finglas

Reaction score
The blanks of the sea trout special and the grilse special are definitely not suited to trout weight forward lines and need switch lines to flex the rod and make them load properly, I said it on this forum that I used a trout line and it cast terribly, then I used a switch line and it was like a different rod, they are a great rod all the same and I can't wait for snowbee to start making the switch lines again after this covid **** ends, as they seem to be the best switch line out there at the moment 👍

I agree, need to find myself a snowbee switch line too. I didn't know they were short on supply because of covid, I assumed they had just moved onto producing something else but that sounds good, means will hopefully get them at some point!

Jamie

Finglas

Reaction score
This might be of interest....

I went onto their website directly and it looks as though they have the switch line in 7/8 and 8/9 in stock in floating. Haven't ordered one myself yet but looks promising.

I know it says out of stock but think it might be the 6/7 out of stock...