Fly Line recommendation for Graham's Grilse Special 11'3"

leuchar

Reaction score
Looking for a spey line to suit this rod purchased during the close season. The rod is rated 8/9 and can be used as a small double hander with the butt extension or as a single hander.
My plan is to use this mainly as a DH during the summer months on smaller rivers.
I have a 2D 8/9 Snowbee floating line which I tried out last weekend on the South Esk and it cast well enough but the head is a bit long for the rod and that size of river so ideally want something more suitable.
This rod with the butt extension fitted is very close to 12' (assume the 11'3" length is based on the rod without the butt extension fitted although the butt only measures 6"??)
The rod itself is an updated version of the Daiwa Whisker and made in Scotland and sold by Graham's of Inverness. They also have a Sea-trout Special 11'3" 7/8.

Piker20

Reaction score
Grahams suggested the 1d. Also John norris integrated heads should go well.

G

guest2938

Or just another couple of really good lines to consider, and very good value, Barrio Switch or the SLX (which ive cut back a little to handle some poly tips and heavier flies easier and works great DH with the switch, but immense single handed)

Im no expert mind

DCH

Reaction score
The seatrout special goes well with a snowbee switch 7/8# 400gr. So I would think the snowbee switch 8/9# .450gr would go well with The grilse rod .The barrio lines are excellent the switch 8/9# is 470gr if you ask Mike he might let you try one first .
The switch are mostly 33ft ideal for mid to small rivers .
Cheers Patrick

leuchar

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure switch lines will be too light for this rod. Looking for a short head and quite like the idea of a spey line but I'm thinking that's going to be difficult to find. Cutting a line back has already been mentioned as an option and may have to try that but very reluctant to do that with an expensive line in case I foul that up.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Gaeleforce Equaliser ESSS switch and short Spey line 33ft / 10.05m
# 8/9 30g

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure switch lines will be too light for this rod. Looking for a short head and quite like the idea of a spey line but I'm thinking that's going to be difficult to find. Cutting a line back has already been mentioned as an option and may have to try that but very reluctant to do that with an expensive line in case I foul that up.

I use a barrio 8/9 switch on my 12ft cross and a 9/10 gaelforce switch on a carron 13ft rod as recommended by James Chalmers .switch lines are now being advertised as short spey lines your more than welcome to try any of mine if you can come to peterhead.
Patrick

Last edited:

leuchar

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I might take you up on your offer Patrick. I don't want to be spending a fortune on a new line. My go to rod is my Vision G4 Catapult 13' 8/9 but my Grilse Special would be for use in the summer on the smaller rivers in particular South Esk and Avon. I have Rio AFS 8/9 and Rio Scandi 8/9 but want a line specifically for the smaller rod. There are a lot of trees on some of the stretches I fish so I feel the shorter rod will be handy in avoiding branches in tight spots.

ibm59

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. I might take you up on your offer Patrick. I don't want to be spending a fortune on a new line. My go to rod is my Vision G4 Catapult 13' 8/9 but my Grilse Special would be for use in the summer on the smaller rivers in particular South Esk and Avon. I have Rio AFS 8/9 and Rio Scandi 8/9 but want a line specifically for the smaller rod. There are a lot of trees on some of the stretches I fish so I feel the shorter rod will be handy in avoiding branches in tight spots.

How did you get on with this , leuchar?
Asking as I was under the impression that both the seatrout and grilse models of this rod are built around Daiwa Whisker trout blanks of a “single handed “ rating.

leuchar

Reaction score
Not really progressed IBM other than I bought a John Norris Integrated SH line off a member of SFF and have cut it back to around 33' I had hope to be able to splice the line together but couldn't get that to work so have had to put loops on both ends. I haven't tried the line out yet and I'm still looking at other options as we speak.
I'm not aware of what you've said about the rods being on trout blanks. I spoke to Graham's prior to buying the rod and mentioned I would be buying it as a small double hander so they are aware I will be putting salmon lines on the rod.
So it's still a work in progress. I have a 2D Snowbee 8/9 line and it felt good but at 53' it's too long really for where I want to use the rod. Nice rod though especially for the money.

Piker20

Reaction score
How did you get on with this , leuchar?
Asking as I was under the impression that both the seatrout and grilse models of this rod are built around Daiwa Whisker trout blanks of a “single handed “ rating.

I'd heard the same and was looking at these but grahams were quoting grain weights in the 3-500s so definitely more than a trout blank.

Keith Lawlor

Reaction score
I have bought the grilse special and the sea trout special, both are brilliant rods and in my opinion as good as the big brand rods in the higher price range. The rod's go well with switch lines and not trout lines so get switch lines and you will be happy with the setup. These rods are really well made and a joy to fish with and the fact that daiwa made them and put their name to them is great in my opinion, they have a screw off handle and a rubber screw button to convert the rod's to single handers, also they have fuji guides fitted throughout, I hope this helps people to make up their mind when trying to purchase a switch rod 👍

Finglas

Reaction score
Ordered one the other evening, expecting delivery of the sea trout special some time in the coming days. Which like do you use with it?

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I have bought the grilse special and the sea trout special, both are brilliant rods and in my opinion as good as the big brand rods in the higher price range. The rod's go well with switch lines and not trout lines so get switch lines and you will be happy with the setup. These rods are really well made and a joy to fish with and the fact that daiwa made them and put their name to them is great in my opinion, they have a screw off handle and a rubber screw button to convert the rod's to single handers, also they have fuji guides fitted throughout, I hope this helps people to make up their mind when trying to purchase a switch rod 👍

I bought the Grilse Special recently too and have a Rio Scandi Short on it. Just waiting on water now to get trying it in anger.

Keith Lawlor

Reaction score
Ordered one the other evening, expecting delivery of the sea trout special some time in the coming days. Which like do you use with it?
Well bud, I want to put a snowbee switch line on it but they are sold out everywhere and the factory isn't making any due to covid. I put a cortland switch compact switch line on it and it's a #7 weight and the rod is rated 8/9 weight but it weighs 425 grains and it casts perfectly with a 5 or 6 foot poly leader. The cortland switch isn't very popular but I think it's grand to cast with until I can get a snowbee switch line, and I'll still use the cortland for higher water and windy days because it's a short skagit head and it flies out, the snowbee is meant to be a lovely subtle line for summer fishing in lower water, word of warning stay away from the rio switch chucker, I hated it even though some angler's do love it, I found it makes a lot of splash when it hits the water and I reckon it only frightens fish, I hope this helps, all the best Keith 👍

Finglas

Reaction score
Well bud, I want to put a snowbee switch line on it but they are sold out everywhere and the factory isn't making any due to covid. I put a cortland switch compact switch line on it and it's a #7 weight and the rod is rated 8/9 weight but it weighs 425 grains and it casts perfectly with a 5 or 6 foot poly leader. The cortland switch isn't very popular but I think it's grand to cast with until I can get a snowbee switch line, and I'll still use the cortland for higher water and windy days because it's a short skagit head and it flies out, the snowbee is meant to be a lovely subtle line for summer fishing in lower water, word of warning stay away from the rio switch chucker, I hated it even though some angler's do love it, I found it makes a lot of splash when it hits the water and I reckon it only frightens fish, I hope this helps, all the best Keith 👍

Thank you Keith. I had saw others recommend the snowbee and went looking for one but none to be had, as you say. Barios line came up a lot too but again he has no stock and doesn't seem to have had any for a long time now.

Thanks for the advice,

Jamie

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Has anyone any recommendations for a hover or slow intermediate for these rods.

Lots of floaters available but slow intermediates seem very scarce.

There was a snowbee intermediate switch line but they appear to have stopped making them?

sewinfly

Reaction score
Had this delivered it's the Maxcatch 7/8 switch line.Welded loops and looks good to.
Got it for my Enigma mk111 10ft 8wt
Possibly might be good for the Seatrout Special.

Sewinfly.........

Attachments

• IMG_20210416_195046.jpg
    IMG_20210416_195046.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 13

Richardgw

Reaction score
Has anyone any recommendations for a hover or slow intermediate for these rods.

Lots of floaters available but slow intermediates seem very scarce.

There was a snowbee intermediate switch line but they appear to have stopped making them?
Guideline’s new 3D+ Compact might be of interest in the F/H/SI format

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Guideline’s new 3D+ Compact might be of interest in the F/H/SI format

Thanks, I'll have a look! 👍

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got the sea trout special last week. Did some casting practice with it this weekend. It's a weight 7/8 rod and I only had a WF 6 handy, tried that; unsurprisingly it didn't work at all.

Anyway, today I tried a maxcatch weight 7 single hand spey line. That worked a lot better. Certainly useable but with some effort. Felt I had to concentrate and really try and get things right.

Tried a 7/8 55ft head hardy mach line after that. Was going out great but no sink tip on it. Was making the rod flex just nice and firing out a good line. Perhaps it felt a little too heavy though. But did feel I could probably even cast a heavier tube with it too. If I could get something like it but maybe a 6/7 instead of a 7/8 it would probably go well.

I would like to try a snowbee switch line but looks like they are sold out everywhere at the moment.

Edit: I'd go for a barrio switch line as well if I could get it. Doing some reading it seems to be a good one, issue is almost all barrios lines have been out of stock since about this time last year!

Jamie

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Hi guys, I got the sea trout special last week. Did some casting practice with it this weekend. It's a weight 7/8 rod and I only had a WF 6 handy, tried that; unsurprisingly it didn't work at all.

Anyway, today I tried a maxcatch weight 7 single hand spey line. That worked a lot better. Certainly useable but with some effort. Felt I had to concentrate and really try and get things right.

Tried a 7/8 55ft head hardy mach line after that. Was going out great but no sink tip on it. Was making the rod flex just nice and firing out a good line. Perhaps it felt a little too heavy though. But did feel I could probably even cast a heavier tube with it too. If I could get something like it but maybe a 6/7 instead of a 7/8 it would probably go well.

I would like to try a snowbee switch line but looks like they are sold out everywhere at the moment.

Edit: I'd go for a barrio switch line as well if I could get it. Doing some reading it seems to be a good one, issue is almost all barrios lines have been out of stock since about this time last year!

Jamie

I wish I'd bought my rod a few years ago when snowbee switch lines were everywhere. lol.

What line weight do you think you'd need for that rod? A sort 27g suits the the 8/9 so, what, 24g maybe?

Finglas

Reaction score
I wish I'd bought my rod a few years ago when snowbee switch lines were everywhere. lol.

What line weight do you think you'd need for that rod? A sort 27g suits the the 8/9 so, what, 24g maybe?

Yes sorry, I'm giving AFTM ratings but don't suppose that is much use really. I'm not sure. I went onto the maxcatch website there and their single hand spey lines have no line weights on their website. Really frustrating so I'm not sure what weight it is.

Checking the hardy mach spey line in a 7/8 it says that the weight is 35g. It did feel heavy on the rod but not far too heavy.

Having used it and got on all right with it I'd actually have thought the 27g might have been alright and I don't normally use heavier lines than necessary. BUT given you are saying the 8/9 takes the 27g then I guess the 7/8 really should take something lighter?

Unfortunately it sounds like there is quite a bit of trial and error in order I think!

The rod feels very good though, lot of feel to it and was very surprised to see it has spigot joints.