Fly fishing with the with the wrong line weight

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but can I fish a 7 weight line and shooting head on a 8 9 weight rod or will it affect my fishing badly

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
It won't affect your fishing!, but it will have an effect on your casting.You'll struggle badly to be honest, the line won't be any where near heavy enough to load and work the rod for you and you won't get distance or presentation. Wind will give you an interesting time too, in that your line will get blown all over the place as you won't be getting good well tensioned loops as you try to cast.Trying harder, giving it the big heave ho won't work either, you'll just be cream crackered quicker and loose you temper so much faster. You will give those watching a good giggle however!.
Try the right line for the rod, daft as it seems, it'll help you catch something!
Pedro.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
It will affect your fishing. You can cast a fly line with a broom handle but you will struggle to shoot any line. In essence the rod is a spring that requires a certain weight of line to make it flex and create the catapulting action. The lighter the line the less the rod flexes and so the closer you get to the rod behaving like a broom handle.

3 weights of line lower than the rod is rated is a big difference although you could probably, just about, get away it with it if you don't have to extend a lot of line and there's little wind.

Stuart1108

Reaction score
It won't affect your fishing!, but it will have an effect on your casting.You'll struggle badly to be honest, the line won't be any where near heavy enough to load and work the rod for you and you won't get distance or presentation. Wind will give you an interesting time too, in that your line will get blown all over the place as you won't be getting good well tensioned loops as you try to cast.Trying harder, giving it the big heave ho won't work either, you'll just be cream crackered quicker and loose you temper so much faster. You will give those watching a good giggle however!.
Try the right line for the rod, daft as it seems, it'll help you catch something!
Pedro.
Yeah its more I fish a small river so always 7 weight rod ive finally got ma big rod out for a big river fishing after haveing it for 5 years and I cant be bothered buying a line for 1 day lol cheers

iainmortimer

Reaction score
Yeah its more I fish a small river so always 7 weight rod ive finally got ma big rod out for a big river fishing after haveing it for 5 years and I cant be bothered buying a line for 1 day lol cheers

You'd be better fishing the big river with the #7 rod and line because it will be more enjoyable and you'll probably cast further and cover more water effectively!

For the sake of one day, you could do worse than buying a cheap integrated shooting head from maxcatch. It'll lasts you a few years at that rate and so be a good investment!

Stuart1108

Reaction score
You'd be better fishing the big river with the #7 rod and line because it will be more enjoyable and you'll probably cast further and cover more water effectively!

For the sake of one day, you could do worse than buying a cheap integrated shooting head from maxcatch. It'll lasts you a few years at that rate and so be a good investment!
I have a rage compact shooting head on a floating line in 7 weight I use it with my 10 ft 7 wt switch rod probs for the sake of a day maybe best just using that rather than my 13 ft 8 wt rod it's for the tay

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You will need to give it a try I think. Some rods are very forgiving when it comes to lines, they call it a wide grain window meaniing they have a range that sometimes can encompass three or more different line weights. Generally such rods are quite soft in the actions however a stiff fast action rod will not work well with an under-weighted line.

I once mistakenly carried a 375 grain line with me on an extended trip. When I put it on my rod (11 1/2 foot Swift needing a 475g) I could not cast it using Spey casting techniques. It did however overhead cast, if you intend to cast single hand overhead you will be able to make the line work.

Last edited:

Loxie

Reaction score
In simpler times with old fashioned weight forward or Dt lines most really good casters would fish lines well under the rod weight. The rating system was/is based on the weight of the first 30' so if you cast a much longer line it needed to be lighter. A 5 on a 7wt was common for distance casting. Equally for beginners and very short range work a size or 2 up was the norm. With shooting heads it's much less straightforward, especially with Spey casting. Try it and see!