Fly fishing on a small spate

Dannyjbg

Reaction score
Hi all,
Firstly, I'm pretty new to fly fishing and sorry for my ignorance. Essentially I am looking for any information on how to fly fish a small spate river - regarding actually fishing it and my gear. The river in question is in Cumbria and up to about 15/20 ft wide maximum with most pools much less - although they can be quite deep. I have a Daiwa Whisker 10ft 6-8# and I have floating line - Not sure on which leader I should be using (or flies!) All advice appreciated!

gwelsher

Reaction score
That rod will be ok if the fish are not very big and the river is pretty clear of obstructions. If not you will need to get stronger rod.
I would get some Airflo 5' Trout polytips. Inter, Slow and Fast sink will cover most depths.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
Stick 3 feet of nylon onto the end of the polyleader, using either a leader ring or a loop to loop connection.

As for flies, nobody was ever thought foolish for using a Cascade: get a couple at each size 6, 8, 10 and 12.

That will suffice to get you started.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Buddy the boys above have pretty much nailed it with the responses. Do yourself a big favour and hit MCX Fishers link "Just one week" as it will give you a better insight of what you want to be doing.. Well worth the time to read.

Basically you are wanting to swing your fly round in the current at various speeds ranging from fast to slow depending on the section of water and you want to add the 5ft polyleader to your fly line (loop to loop) and then as MXC states tie 3 feet of nylon on to the polyleader then tie on your fly. Polyleader sink rates can be changed depending on depth of stretch you are fishing and speed of flow..These polyleaders are added to stop the fly skating on the surface and to get the fly in the salmons range of view as it swings round past the salmon lie. Read the blog mate and i promise you will feel more confident in going to the river and doing things right.

Oscar

Reaction score
Also, do try some unorthodox flies - like a tungsten conehead or snaelda - upstream in some of the deeper ‘holes’ which I’m sure the river will have. It can induce a take and often these pools are hard to fish in the traditional manner.

Oscar

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
Your rod is ok . My go-to line for a dropping spate is a ghost tip(floater with a 15’ intermediate end section) with a 5’ sinking tip - poly leaders in fast , extra and superfast depending on the height of the spate. Keep your leader short( I use fluorocarbon and flies on trebles) which helps the flies “ dig-in “ and start fishing right away. If I was stuck with 2 flies I’d go for a red francis on the point and a foxford shrimp on the dropper. Weighted flies ( coneheads etc are ok , but it’s hard to turn them over accurately if you’ve got to tuck them under overhanging branches , which you get a lot of on spate rivers.

Loxie

Reaction score
Your rod will be fine, people get hung up about needing a big powerful rod to land salmon but that's just nonsense. I find an intermediate a very useful line on small rivers but basically what MCX said is good advice. I'd maybe want a monkey or 2 as well though!

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Cascade flies
Flamethrower flies
3inch per second poly tip
7inch per second poly tip
Couple ft of 15-15lbs (maxima)
Most importantly......have faith have patience....and don't give up! .....good luck ?

Lgraydonflyfishing

Reaction score
Another quick tip if you didn't already know...only use a small section of mono (maxima cheap strong reliable) from poly tip to fly...3ft or so. You want youre sink tips to take the fly down and if you have say 6-7ft of mono youre tip will be close to the bottom while you're fly is riding high up in the water negating the use of the sink tip

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Your rod will be fine, people get hung up about needing a big powerful rod to land salmon but that's just nonsense. I find an intermediate a very useful line on small rivers but basically what MCX said is good advice. I'd maybe want a monkey or 2 as well though!

The this was my only addition as well. Add a range of lines to your kit.. floater with tips is enough but a sink tip inty and wet 2 on spools all add different strings to your bow.

lefthandup

Reaction score
That all depends on how experienced the person holding the rod is TBF.

Loxie

Reaction score
That all depends on how experienced the person holding the rod is TBF.

lm not absolutely sure that's true. I think inexperienced rods are pretty poor with any rod. The rod is never the weakest link and all rods apply the same minimum and maximum strain, regardless of length or line weight. I think on bigger rivers a bigger rod is an advantage for most people but on small rivers a smaller rod is an advantage for most people.

lefthandup

Reaction score
lm not absolutely sure that's true. I think inexperienced rods are pretty poor with any rod. The rod is never the weakest link and all rods apply the same minimum and maximum strain, regardless of length or line weight. I think on bigger rivers a bigger rod is an advantage for most people but on small rivers a smaller rod is an advantage for most people.
You make a good point that's hard to differ from ?