Fly fishing in iceland

Petekd

Reaction score
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Beats the hell out of that Dean Macey carp nonsense. (Which I’ll still watch….😆)

Tangled

Reaction score
No bloody net again....

I think I'd enjoy it more with the sound off.

Last edited:

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Never let an idiot anywhere near your fish. They both net and tail fish like something in your worst nightmare. When he panics and chased the fish like he had a butterfly net and that's all that came to my mind. Robson tailed the fish by sticking the hook in his hand and then walking off with the fish still slapping on the bank! Not sure how that is possible but then again complete idiots at landing fish! Still, those rivers look awesome!

Rennie

Reaction score
Bear in mind, your watching a telly program.The producers will have the greatest input as to content and you are watching a pair of professional Actors. We are never going to get a serious program that appeals solely to we Anglers, the programs have to sell to the general public! and provide them with entertainment! and sell ads. in the commercial break!
Don't know if there's regional variations as to scheduling, but here in Yorks. we get Monster Carp directly after this program.You may not like Carp fishing, but thats a program made by serious professional Carp Anglers who actually produce the program, there's entertainment and fish catching, and the fish catching is of the highest calibre.Those 3 guys can catch out of a damp puddle! and each is very highly regarded in the Carp fishing world.It's not a turn off tech fest of rigs and watching motionless buzzers!
Ali Hamidi who produces aside from being a top class anger has a passion for what he does and has been involved with some excellent fishing programs, as indeed are most which come from the Korda Tackle stable!.
I think there's a lesson or two to be learned there from what they've done! and how they've done it!
Last nights Iceland program had me seething, the casting isn't that good, but Greeny wants to keep still when he hooks a fish and keep the bloody rod still, he might land a few more. As for the constant blabbing about travelling all that way and the cost involved to catch a single Atlantic Salmon in Iceland, even a complete divvy understands you go there to catch a shed full compared to our home rivers!.
All I can say is from some of the scenarios the actors have been through, the producers must have a pretty low impression of Anglers if they think we carry on like that when pursuing our sport!, frankly it's a bit degrading!.I feel at times for both Greeny and James Murray, I think there's a bit more of them both in there as Anglers than the producers will let come out.
Well, at least it's some fishing on telly!.
Pedro.

gaula

Reaction score
Could someone please enlighten me, as to why James Murray was using
a single handed rod, as opposed to a D/H rod on that BIG FISH river at
the end of the program.

Rutlander

Reaction score
I'm a salmon fishing novice so I'll refrain from commenting on the pair's casting skill (or Robson's apparent lack of it). However, the editing and continuity is appalling. I lost count of the number of times the rods were mounted and then not mounted on the car during the driving sequences in episode one, either that or they were driving a couple of miles, taking the rods off the rack, driving another couple of miles and sticking the mag mounts back on! It's a bit like changing a T shirt between takes.
I suspect that's why they have this recurring net nightmare too. It was lost early in the trip and then footage from that session made it's way into later episodes. They do seem to flit backwards and forwards between rivers and lakes too, visiting the same one several days apart. Who would do that unless it's just appalling sequencing?
It also appears (looking at an earlier post about Icelandic Tails), that this is a producer re-editing material to create a new product. I love seeing fishing (particularly fly salmon fishing) on TV but this is well below Mortimer and Whitehouse standard.

Loxie

Reaction score
Could someone please enlighten me, as to why James Murray was using
a single handed rod, as opposed to a D/H rod on that BIG FISH river at
the end of the program.
It looks like a pretty small clear river. If he knew how to use one he would have landed as fast or faster than with a DH. Sadly he didn't!

Oscar

Reaction score
The whole programme was just a little odd. I’m just watching the 3rd one now.

From the lack of nets, to the constant repetition (about many things), to the drivel about ‘back to basics’ (with a bloody Hardy Cascapedia!) to the absolutely abysmal netting.

It was just bizarre and not half as enjoying as a TV show about 3 weeks in Iceland salmon fishing should be.

Thing is I really enjoyed Robson’s extreme fishing shows because he seemed both knowledgable and enthusiastic. He looked like a beginner in this.

Oscar.

Scierra

Reaction score

From the lack of nets, to the constant repetition (about many things), to the drivel about ‘back to basics’ (with a bloody Hardy Cascapedia!) to the absolutely abysmal netting.

It was just bizarre and not half as enjoying as a TV show about 3 weeks in Iceland salmon fishing should be.

Thing is I really enjoyed Robson’s extreme fishing shows because he seemed both knowledgable and enthusiastic. He looked like a beginner in this.

Oscar.
And bragged he had fished in 130 countries all over the world ? and still just at the mid novice level ,
Great scenary locations at rivers and lochs . The loch fishing is on parr with the cost of salmon fishing £1k to £2k /day ? guides £500 + per day too .

lefthandup

Reaction score
And bragged he had fished in 130 countries all over the world ? and still just at the mid novice level ,
Great scenary locations at rivers and lochs . The loch fishing is on parr with the cost of salmon fishing £1k to £2k /day ? guides £500 + per day too .
Did he not say you can fish there fairly cheap if you rod share ?
Wish I had Robson's money 🥴

They coulda used a gaff.... would have done a better job.

Hoddom

Reaction score
You can fish lakes in Iceland cheaply a ticket called Veid kort, costs about £60 from memory for a years fishing on 36 lakes and a few rivers around the country. Some epically big trout and char to be had.
i brought one and toured around seeing the sights and fishing. Fab time!!! Camped for free most of the trip. bathed in volcanic springs at perfect temperatures etc
the card is sold in petrol stations, post office or online here where there’s lots of other information
The river they fished with Armie was the Sog. That’s around £200 a day and tickets were on Fishpal. not sure if they still do that but worth checking

AlanT

Reaction score

Oscar.
I found it hard going, the bromance didn't work, Robsons flapping about despite being a very experienced angler, the whole 'Jim' story was very staged, his pregnant pauses were deliberate and rehearsed (didn't surprise me later that I found out that he was an actor), just crap.

I love any kind of fishing program but found myself on Twitter during it when I should have been glued to the TV especially as Iceland is on my bucket list.