Fly fishing in iceland

chriswjx

Reaction score
Glad to know I wasn't the only confused one watching that... I'm fairly sure I've seen Robson cast a decent line on his extreme fishing... definitely remember him casting a fly for bonefish...

I've also seen him on Icelandic Tails (Amazon Prime) where he features twice, casting both single and double handers... and catching fish... in Iceland... and based on Robson's comments in this programme about "having to deal with a global pandemic", he's definitely caught salmon...

Actually... I've just checked back on that series... lookie here... Robson Green and James (Jim) Murray... Robson by himself was episode 1... so I'm calling the premise of the series ********....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210716-170911_Prime Video.jpg
    Screenshot_20210716-170911_Prime Video.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 532

Pati

Reaction score
Beginners need to catch.
Hi Tangled, I agree to that put pretty much anywhere in Iceland a beginner would catch… ION beats on Thingvellir go for a couple o thousands pounds a day for this is where IN THE WORLD you are most likely to hook a few 20lbs+ wild brown trouts…

I don’t think a beginners (or the trouts…) need that, nor can they fully appreciate how truly special these fish are… Also if a beginner starts his journey into fly fishing with that class of fishes, they may be a tad disappointed when facing reality back home (unless home is Patagonia, NZ, Scandinavia or smth like that!)

Tangled

Reaction score
Hi Tangled, I agree to that put pretty much anywhere in Iceland a beginner would catch… ION beats on Thingvellir go for a couple o thousands pounds a day for this is where IN THE WORLD you are most likely to hook a few 20lbs+ wild brown trouts…
Yes, and a beginner hooking a 20lb fish on a single hander is probably not the best introduction - unless they have other fishing experience.
I don’t think a beginners (or the trouts…) need that, nor can they fully appreciate how truly special these fish are… Also if a beginner starts his journey into fly fishing with that class of fishes, they may be a tad disappointed when facing reality back home (unless home is Patagonia, NZ, Scandinavia or smth like that!)

Agreed. Better starting somewhere where smaller fish are plentiful. They just need to catch something.

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
I enjoyed the first episide. Locations looked great, superb quality trout ( although the browns nothing caught during the show that would raise an eyebrow on the Don) and reaffirmed my impression of Robson as an angler. Can’t wait for next episode. My ideal fishing destination Iceland 🇮🇸

DCH

Aled

Reaction score
Well on the whole, I enjoy fishing shows, and I get the bit of philosophy and life enhancement fishing has brought to Jim and Robson-Greene.
However I'd like to ask a question, does anybody know, if Iceland gone total catch and release for all game fish?
Cheers
Aled

AlanT

Reaction score
I thought tonight's episode was awful, their 'friendship' has no chemistry, Jim's story, sad as it was, was very rehearsed and theatrical, the fishing was all very desperate. I'm trying to like it but it's just not happening. . .

Last edited:

ozzyian

Reaction score
Well on the whole, I enjoy fishing shows, and I get the bit of philosophy and life enhancement fishing has brought to Jim and Robson-Greene.
However I'd like to ask a question, does anybody know, if Iceland gone total catch and release for all game fish?
Cheers
Aled
Some of those rivers have an entirely artificial salmon population because of insurmountable barriers like high falls. I believe you can be a vicious fish murderer and kill at will on those ones.

Must admit some of the fishing looks fantastic, esp those trout - amazing looking things.

Aled

Reaction score
I fished the West Ranga and you were allowed to kill salmon of 9lb or less, but that was back in 2019, i was wondering if things had changed.
Tight Lines
Aled

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I thought it was strange that Robson couldn’t cast a single hander very well and said he was new to fly fishing when he’s an accomplished salmon fly angler.
Enjoyed the program though.
I like Robson. I would like his job even better though
That was exactly my thought.

iainmortimer

Reaction score
I enjoyed watching it mainly because their aren't many fishing shows and I was keen to see what the super high cost of Iceland gets you. I could even put up with the back stories as I think the more that can be done to publicise the benefits of fishing the better - we need all we can get. Having said that I did think the quality of the filming was poor as was the editing giving it the feel of many unrelated and disjointed clips rather than something that flowed. I will keep watching it but after the quality of extreme fisherman I was disappointed.

Last edited:

Tangled

Reaction score
2 weeks in Iceland so far - the most expensive fishing in the world - and they've caught a couple of browns and one salmon....

Last edited:

Scierra

Reaction score
The pair are always cuddling when they catch a wee fish😍 ,Robson is ace at loosing fish , Robsons netting has a lot to be desired< Why does he leave the strap/sling on the net when netting fish ?

Don CurlyHorny

Sang-Froid
Reaction score
I’ve seen better anglers and casters than these two. I’ve seen poorer anglers but better fish catchers, but a few on here slagging off the standard of fishing and angling technique is a bit harsh. They aren’t THAT Bad and if it’s anything like the majority on here, the 2/3 weeks a year anglers, they’ll be as good if not better than most on here, and incidentally I’ve seen some casting in real life …. Jeezo 😱

can’t get enough game fishing programmes, enjoy it and enjoy getting a feel for what the fishing’s like in Iceland considering the low odds of ever fishing there ( for me anyway). Looks stunning, I’d love a crack at the sea and brown trouts.

DCH

lefthandup

Reaction score
The pair are always cuddling when they catch a wee fish😍 ,Robson is ace at loosing fish , Robsons netting has a lot to be desired< Why does he leave the strap/sling on the net when netting fish ?
As much as I can't be doing with him....

There's a lot of opinionated posters on here having a pop .....yet I can't see any input from them on here from their own fishing perspective!

What does that say ...at least he's trying !

Scierra

Reaction score
As much as I can't be doing with him....

There's a lot of opinionated posters on here having a pop .....yet I can't see any input from them on here from their own fishing perspective!

What does that say ...at least he's trying !
Robson has done well to fish world wide,give him credit where its due, I 'm looking forward to the next episode, no hugging though
Icelands good fisheries are a bit expensive for me , on many anglers bucket list if only ? scenary is brill ,
My pal is fishing there this week for trout . (y)

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
If I told my wife fly fishing saved my life! She would drown me. All a bit artistic especially when they were upset it was a bit windy. The more wind the better the fishing. Only when it lifts your line off the water and blows it over your head is the wind to strong!