fly catching line when shooting out..

shieldr

Reaction score
Hi

Any tips on avoiding this issue that i have when putting out a longer line and usually wading deeper? The cast is a single spey off the right hand using 14ft rod and afs floating line to match.

Any advice much appreciated.

DOON ROD

Banned
Reaction score
Yer no bringing yer rod far enough round to a different plane . Yer back stroke and front delivery are too much of the same almost likely to be on the same axis .

Try opening up yer body a bit more and swinging yer hips round more . Slow everything down first before you start to speed it all up .

Remember to put more concentration into yer back stroke smooth accelerating speed to a sharp stop . This will make yer front cast a lot easier and effortless . Stop the rod a bit higher on the front stroke if you want a tighter loop on the way out .

Hope this makes sense .

kramdrazzi

Generally, I’m sloshed.
Reaction score
I used to have that problem when deep wading - I'm only 5'7 and so I need to hold the rod higher to get the same degree of direction change with the same ease as when shallow wading, as the deep wading is essentially shortening the rod. I am sure this is totally incorrect, but it works for me.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
I used to have that problem when deep wading - I'm only 5'7 and so I need to hold the rod higher to get the same degree of direction change with the same ease as when shallow wading, as the deep wading is essentially shortening the rod. I am sure this is totally incorrect, but it works for me.

You are indeed correct mark as you wade deeper your rod is shortening or looking at it another way your line is getting longer!!of coarse none of these things are actually happening your rod is still the same length and so is your line,we have a few options 1 is to lift everything a little higher(generally my reel is around the belly button area when i start my lift and when i stop on the forward stroke when shallow wading) but when wading deep it can be above my forehead at the start and finish depending how deep you go.
Another option is if you generally find yourself wading deep a shorter line will help only around 3ft can be a big help,i wouldnt advise bringing some line inside the rod tip as this will take crucial line weigth away making your longer cast more difficult.
Option 1 is where the smart thinker should go for finding consistant results

SAINTEE

Reaction score
Make sure your anchor is well upstream from where you aim your cast.
Keep your hands a lot higher!!
If there's a bit of wind up or down stream put it square across.
Works for me

DOON ROD

Banned
Reaction score
If any of you are having a problem with casting when wading deep then I suggest the use of a 16ft rod which I find invaluable for deep wading - such a joy to use and does not result in sore upper back after a days fishing as the arms can be kept lower than trying to gain extra height with a 14ft or 15ft rod by swinging it above yer head all day .

Or if you dont want to splash out on a new rod use a shorter headed line when you are up past the belly button .

You cant expect the same performance from lets say a 14ft or 15ft rod once you started going up past the belly. You lose height .

Its easier to fire out a shooting head or a 55ft line rather than a 65ft or 75ft.

Anyway the guys main problem was that his fly was catching his line on the way out on the forward stroke .

PerryPoker

Reaction score
Too many men that act like women on here that would be scared of a 17ft rod . :p

Aye, just like those on here who are keyboard warriors. You meet them in the flesh and find they wouldn't say boo to a ghost! There's a few on here who have shown their true colours since Springer handed the reigns over.

shieldr

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the tips. Tried them out last night. Anchoring further upstream helped as well as raising the arms a bit. Also got 3 fish for my troubles?