Flurocarbon Dropper Knots

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Memory banks warn me that this stuff is stretched very thinly so I’d ask Roag Fisher about it. As I’ve not used it recently. Sticking to Maxima myself but what happens if it’s been in a shop window for 6 months ? I still find occasional weak points in a generally good spool so the test is the answer. Cheers

Yes, that is a problem where shops store them out of the box or on a wall display hanger..

I remember a particular incident when in a shortage on a fishing trip. A pal went to buy a spool of 15lb clear maxima from such a display from the local shop. Not our local but local to our beat that day..

He took it from the display near a window and was going to buy it only I questioned the quality after seeing how/where it was stored..

Shop owner dismissed my worries and said the line was sound.. I wish I had a camera for his face as I broke several spools of 15lb in my hands like thread..

We paid for the crisps and chocolate then left. I then lent him my only spool of 8lb maxima.. which near sliced my skin on the tug test back at the car.

SP8

Reaction score
I use Fluoro a lot for my stillwater trout fishing. I always used to use a three turn surgeons or water knot as its also called. Some people recommend only two turns with fluoro. However since changing to the figure of eight knot I have not used anything else. Also for loops. I have tested it and it is consistently stronger than a water knot or surgeons loop and it is quicker to tie. I still have doubts about the benefits of fluoro for salmon fishing however but the advice about going by diameter is sound.

SP8