Flurocarbon Dropper Knots

Aled

Reaction score
Hello All
Looking for some advice. On a recent trout fishing trip, i had a couple of leaders snap on the dropper. First time its happened for a while. So a question : Which dropper knot would you suggest to tie in droppers whilst using flurocarbon? I usually use the surgeons knot.
Advice much appreciated.
Tight Lines
Aled

Rrrr

Reaction score
3 turn water knot with a half hitch to kick the fly out for me. Im never 100%certain of using a dropper with fluro as ive found it can snap at random.

Ive went down the tippet ring route lately but have found that im loosing the same ammount of flies plus a tippet ring.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I'm not sure there's a difinitive answer here and may be quite specific to the material.

I have no trouble at all with any of my knots using Seaguar Ace Hard but have to be very knot specific when using Seaguar Grand Max. So much so that I threw the Grand Max in the fireplace. 😂

With Ace Hard, I've no trouble with a blood knot for droppers.

D

Deleted member 10733

Two sliding grinner knots, ends threaded crosswise through the gap before closing. Cut off one end, the other end (the dropper) is cushioned between the two knots. That's what I used with (thin) fluorocarbon, and it never failed me.

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Hello All
Looking for some advice. On a recent trout fishing trip, i had a couple of leaders snap on the dropper. First time its happened for a while. So a question : Which dropper knot would you suggest to tie in droppers whilst using flurocarbon? I usually use the surgeons knot.
Advice much appreciated.
Tight Lines
Aled
Good replies above. I’d bin that crap. And, if not done already, hook up your fly in the handle of your scissors regularly and do a test pull.

This material deteriorates in sunlight so storage conditions are vital. I also suggest that random breakages are due to lax quality control and/ or storage. Best store it within black poly bags.

Last edited:

Aled

Reaction score
Thanks guys, its also worth mention that i had put some gink on a fly just before, and i wonder if that had an affect on the knots. It was 8lb Rio was the strength of the flurocarbon.
Cheers
Aled

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Thanks guys, its also worth mention that i had put some gink on a fly just before, and i wonder if that had an affect on the knots. It was 8lb Rio was the strength of the flurocarbon.
Cheers
Aled
Sorry, for safety, test the leader outside and across your body line.

At 8lb test modern material is too thin in my opinion. Knotting of this and hitting snags on sunk line are liable to give you issues so up the breaking strain every chance you get.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Sorry, for safety, test the leader outside and across your body line.

At 8lb test modern material is too thin in my opinion. Knotting of this and hitting snags on sunk line are liable to give you issues so up the breaking strain every chance you get.

It is advised that you should use fluorocarbon based on diameter rather than breaking strain.

I wanted something of a fine diameter and compared it to maxima. Seaguar Ace Hard at roughly the same diameter as 8lb Maxima turned out to be 13.6lb breaking strain.

I use it for the bulk of my small fly, summer fishing.

For bigger flies I use Berkley Fluoro in 15lb BS but it is as think as rope anyway. 😂 It turns those bigger flies over better though.

Rrrr

Reaction score
The only 2 fluros that im confident in with droppers for stillwater fishing are the trieline pro and guru coarse fishing stuff. Neither are really thin for the breaking strain but ive not found that to be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

ballintemple

Reaction score
Fluoro to fluoro knots, of any type, tend to be unreliable. See the Yellowstone Angler tippet shootouts for results of some tests. I use leader rings for droppers, or attaching fluoro to other materials.

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
Some flouro takes a dropper some don't.. I've been through a costly experience both in pocket and fish losses finding out which work and don't... I lost faith in flouro long before seagur came on the scene and at the price per spool I'm not in any hurry to try and gain some again.. Copolymer or Nylon/Maxima all the way for me.. takes a quick 4 turn water knot with no issues at all.

tenet

Reaction score
There has been some dodgy Airflo G3 in the market. The rebranded stuff which Airflo know about and will replace foc. Just a point that it helps not only to lubricate the knot with spittle but to hold it under your tongue for a few seconds. This helps bed the knot. For what it's worth I do a lot of large reservoir trout fishing and use the figure of eight knot which usually handles grown on rainbows in the 3 - 4lb range without problem. Mostly use G3 in the 8 - 10lb range.

Birkin

Reaction score
Great knot with lots of strength. Lines below 8/10 lb breaking strain do two twists in the loop.

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
I wish I had a £ for every time I have heard the "that has never happened to me before" with regard to fluorocarbon breaking when I am ghillieing. Bin the sh!t and use Maxima or some other monofilament.
And it can/will break at the dropper no matter what knot you use. Usually when you hook the only fish of the day at five to five.

Last edited:

Auldghillie

Reaction score
Or Drennan For all my salmon and sea trout fishing yes!
Memory banks warn me that this stuff is stretched very thinly so I’d ask Roag Fisher about it. As I’ve not used it recently. Sticking to Maxima myself but what happens if it’s been in a shop window for 6 months ? I still find occasional weak points in a generally good spool so the test is the answer. Cheers

tenet

Reaction score
Stock up with maxima at your preferred supplier. Stopped at House of Bruar on my way north last week and got stiffed paying £5.99 for 50yds instead if c£3.50. Thats what happens when the sales assistant wears a sharp suit.🙂

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Must be getting on for 30 years since I last used maxima.

I lost a fish one day and when I got the cast back in, the 15lb Maxima was in three or four separate strands like an old frayed rope. Never looked at it again after that.

Used Berkley Big Game mono for the next few years before I started using fluorocarbon. Never had any issues. Berkley fluorocarbon and Seaguar Ace Hard.

I cannot say the same about Snowbee Copolymer, Seaguar Grand Max or that rubbish japenese fluoro that seemed to be everywhere this last few years. I couldn't even tie on a fly on it. Gid awful stuff. I had trouble with Airflo fluorocarbon too.

That is why I say knot recommendations are material specific. The knots I use with Ace Hard, I cannot use with copolymer or some other fluorocarbons. Which is why I stick with as few brands as possible.

Rennie

Reaction score
I've not had good experiences with flurocarbon and droppers, to the point where I don't even consider dropper use any longer.
I take the view, Salmon Angling is becoming ever harder for less n less fish every year. As such I will load the dice as far as I possibly can in my favour, to me that means fishing a single flee as well as I possibly can in the most secure fashion that I can that will still attract an offer.Clear long tapered leaders, a mono butt section, leader ring to a fluro tippet, keeping an element of stretch and a finer clear tippet section to further enhance flee presentation.
Once fluro. has been subjected to the pre stretching treatment, I feel it needs extra care with knots etc. and in most cases should be avoided.
There are a few Fluro's that maintain a degree of diameter and stretch in keeping with mono's- such as Fulling Mill (1st generation!) and Drennan, both offering the same diameter lb for lb as Maxima, both those two have accepted droppers well enough for me in the past.
However as I seem to find myself in a line of thought where I'm fishing smaller flees than I ever used to, I am happy enough fishing finer diameter fluro. but keeping a reasonable B.S. as a part of my presentation. Up to last season was very happy with Seaguar for most of my leader considerations.However at current prices I feel the Urine is being extracted rather too much and as such have reached my limit.
As a consequence the search will be on for re-placement tippet material very soon.
The dropper question may then be asked once again as a new material could bring benefits, we shall see!.
Do drop in anytime, Pedro.

Last edited: