Fluorocarbon Recommendations.

MCXFisher

Reaction score
I’ve used Seaguar Ace Hard for years. My guideline has been to use the maximum strength consistent with the size of the fly. The lightest I use is 15lbs, which is about the same thickness and stiffness as Maxima in the 8-10 range.
As a matter of habit, established in my sea fishing childhood, I have always used tucked blood knots. However, I always lubricate them before tightening with either saliva or lip salve. Despite the apparent loss of strength caused by this knot, I have never lost a salmon to knot failure or breakage when using Seaguar. Using 15lbs I have landed 3 fish in the 20s, and with 19lbs, one over 30.
I have lost one salmon to abrasion breakage of 15lbs as a result of fighting an energetic fish around the corner of the Dog’s Nose rock on the Helmsdale. That was my own stupid fault as I should not have been using 15 in the circumstances.

Hoddom

Reaction score
best fluorocarbon is Maxima
ive heard so many times that salmon aren’t particularly leader shy
i guess this conversation suggests they are more leader shy than I previously though?
certianly I’ve caught on low clear water with maxima when skating flies

mows

Reaction score
A simple half blood knot is all I use for flies.

Takes some serious pressure to break it when I hook the trees. 😂
I got some after you mentioning it.
Im very happy with it, but it is easier to break on the trees than the maxima.
Tree gods have been savage recently.

chriswjx

Reaction score

That's how I console myself when I buy yet more fly tying materials... At least I'm not forking out £4/5 on every fly :roflmao: Of which (thanks to my casting) can get pricy on a single day...

Jockiescott

Reaction score

It definitely breaks. But then anything I use usually will when there's the best part of 20 stone swinging on it!!! 🤣

Loxie

Reaction score
best fluorocarbon is Maxima
ive heard so many times that salmon aren’t particularly leader shy
i guess this conversation suggests they are more leader shy than I previously though?
certianly I’ve caught on low clear water with maxima when skating flies
I think it's probably true to say there are times when salmon seem not overly concerned by the leader. Of we cannot know this, nor can we know the extent of it if it is true. I've caught a good number of different species of fish in different parts of the world and they are all leader shy to an extent. The more fishing pressure they get the more leader shy they seem to be. I take the view that it's better to err on the side of caution and assume that an excessively heavy leader will damage your chances. I use the lightest leader I think will handle the flies I fish and the rivers I fish in. This might be 6lb in some circumstances or 35lb in others.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I don't think I ever used fluoro for its stealth, although this is an added bonus.

I really couldn't say that I'd catch more, or less, using 8lb maxima for my smaller flies but I feel more confident bullying grilse on 13lb breaking strain than 8lb and haven't had any issues to date.

Rennie

Reaction score
As said, there are times Salmon aren't particularly leader shy, however I do consider the movement of ones flee on the leader to be of great importance!.
I'm a Seaguar fan- for now any way!, it gives me the advantage of breaking strain, is stiff enough to turn over the flee's I use, is clear!, it sinks and the diameter works in my favour for chosen breaking strains.
The lowest BS I now use is 13.6lbs on switch rods with tiny flee's in low water.My general go to Seaguar is 19lb, 23.5lbis the heaviest I need to use. I use the same knots for everything, twice through the eye 5 turn blood knot, plenty of saliva and draw steadily tight.Never had a problem with it at all.
As the Seaguar is only the tippet of my leader make up arrangement I'm paying the going rate at the moment.However I think they're taking the pee now and I'll be looking for alternatives!
Pedro.

Sand dancer

Reaction score
As said, there are times Salmon aren't particularly leader shy, however I do consider the movement of ones flee on the leader to be of great importance!.
I'm a Seaguar fan- for now any way!, it gives me the advantage of breaking strain, is stiff enough to turn over the flee's I use, is clear!, it sinks and the diameter works in my favour for chosen breaking strains.
The lowest BS I now use is 13.6lbs on switch rods with tiny flee's in low water.My general go to Seaguar is 19lb, 23.5lbis the heaviest I need to use. I use the same knots for everything, twice through the eye 5 turn blood knot, plenty of saliva and draw steadily tight.Never had a problem with it at all.
As the Seaguar is only the tippet of my leader make up arrangement I'm paying the going rate at the moment.However I think they're taking the pee now and I'll be looking for alternatives!
Pedro.
I’ve started using the Fulling Mill stuff this season Pedro and have to say I’m impressed by it. It’s a bit thicker than Seaguar for the same breaking strain. I’ve been tapering down leaders to the 10lb fulling mill stuff with small flies for sea trout and grisle and haven’t had any bother. Got stuck in a tree on the far bank and was impressed how much it took to part the leader.

I got a couple of spools of the Maxima fluo and want too impressed with it. It might have been me but the knots weren’t too well when I gave them a pull test. I use Fluoro a lot and used the same knot/technique with Seaguar etc without issues. I was surprised given the quality of Maxima nylon.

Rennie

Reaction score
Sand Dancer, I've been using the Fulling Mill World Class for a year or two now and very pleased with it, usually 10lb,12lb.15lb and 20lb. However its been changed to a newer style/formula whatever and guess what?, the price has gone up!.
I'm told the new V2 World Class stuff isn't a patch on the original stuff, as yet not tried myself yet.Why on earth things have to be "Fixed" when they're not broken is beyond me!.
Cheers, Pedro.

lax0341

Reaction score
Varivas Shock Leader is the best approved fluorocarbon for me. I landed a 65 pound catfish with the 20lb line this June.

Piker20

Reaction score
Has seaguar improved. I know 2017-2018 a lot of posts on here and I was finding along with others unexpected breaks and failures. So bad I binned the spools I had except for the 23lb stuff.

Trilene 100% fluro is ok, not thin but doesn't unexpectedly break.
The only time I use fluro now is trout wets where I want the leader to cut the surface.

Scierra

Reaction score
Just an over priced rip off all flouro lines are (n)heard many losses ,snapped of a few mates and anglers

Daiwa Sensor all day for leaders, 12lb, 15lb and 18lb, 100% reliable
Never been broken yet in 25 years of use .
Prior to this I used Maxima.

I would say for sure the least abrasive resistant line is Braid used for spinning, but definately the strongest by far for strain and knot test

Sand dancer

Reaction score
Sand Dancer, I've been using the Fulling Mill World Class for a year or two now and very pleased with it, usually 10lb,12lb.15lb and 20lb. However its been changed to a newer style/formula whatever and guess what?, the price has gone up!.
I'm told the new V2 World Class stuff isn't a patch on the original stuff, as yet not tried myself yet.Why on earth things have to be "Fixed" when they're not broken is beyond me!.
Cheers, Pedro.i
Cheers, Pedro.
It’s the v2 stuff I’ve been using Pedro. Sod’s law, next time I took a brownie it will probably part!

I was surprised wit the Maxima Fluoro, I was thinking it was going to be the dogs balls.

I would be ingested to know how anyone else has got on with it?

Tangled

Reaction score
I don't want to derail this entire thread, but if fluorocarbon is being used only because it's thinner than Maxima (nylon) why not use thinner nylon? Fluorocarbon isn't any stronger than nylon by diameter, it's just a function of how much it's been stretched. The main difference between fluoro and nylon is that it sinks faster.