Fluorocarbon Recommendations.

MarkR

Reaction score
Hello all,
Generally I'm a confirmed maxima man, but next week I have a week on a small river in what look likely to be low and clear conditions. It will be small flies which I want to get down as quickly as possible. As the title suggests I'm going to venture into the world of fluorocarbon, and would very much appreciate your recommendations. There will be rocks present so abrasion resistance is important. I also value maxima because it is relatively stiff and turns over well without too many tangles and I would like my fluoro to act similarly.
I'm all ears.
Thanks folks.

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Only stuff ive ever tried and got on with in salmon breaking strains is the trielene pro flurocarbon in the gold box. Probably one of the cheapest about but knots well.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I like Seaguar Ace Hard myself.

What breaking strain maxima would you normally use just out of interest?

MarkR

Reaction score
I like Seaguar Ace Hard myself.

What breaking strain maxima would you normally use just out of interest?
Im looking at Seaguar Ace Hard, and the local shop seems to stock it. I usually use 15lb maxima (12lb clear in low water) and its never let me down, but intend to step up to ~19lb with the fluoro due to the smaller diameter and abrasion issues.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Im looking at Seaguar Ace Hard, and the local shop seems to stock it. I usually use 15lb maxima (12lb clear in low water) and its never let me down, but intend to step up to ~19lb with the fluoro due to the smaller diameter and abrasion issues.

That wouldn't be too far away. Sea Guar Ace Hard at 23.5lb is the same diameter as your 15lb Maxima. The 19lb version will be finer again.

I use the 13.6lb breaking strain for my low water stuff. It's the same diameter as 8lb maxima.

Cascade

Reaction score
Depends how small your flies will be. I use 19lb for a leader butt and 13.6lb for tippet and dropper when sea trout fishing. You might find 19lb Seaguar a bit thick for smaller flies, say size 10 and below.

MarkR

Reaction score
That wouldn't be too far away. Sea Guar Ace Hard at 23.5lb is the same diameter as your 15lb Maxima. The 19lb version will be finer again.

I use the 13.6lb breaking strain for my low water stuff. It's the same diameter as 8lb maxima.
Thanks - i'll look at that.

MarkR

Reaction score
Depends how small your flies will be. I use 19lb for a leader butt and 13.6lb for tippet and dropper when sea trout fishing. You might find 19lb Seaguar a bit thick for smaller flies, say size 10 and below.
Much appreciated. Thank you.

Greegs

Reaction score
Watch your knots with flouro.

I normally use a rapala knot for my dressed doubles but don’t double tuck your flouro as I’ve found that’s when the breakages happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkR

Reaction score
Watch your knots with flouro.

I normally use a rapala knot for my dressed doubles but don’t double tuck your flouro as I’ve found that’s when the breakages happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers for that. I must admit, I am a bit nervous about making the switch.

budge

Reaction score
Only stuff ive ever tried and got on with in salmon breaking strains is the trielene pro flurocarbon in the gold box. Probably one of the cheapest about but knots well.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
I will second the trilene fluro. I use 20,15 and 12lb and haven't had any issues. I haven't tried any others so I can't compare it. It is quite stiff which is great for turning over heavy tubes in the larger sizes.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I will second the trilene fluro. I use 20,15 and 12lb and haven't had any issues. I haven't tried any others so I can't compare it. It is quite stiff which is great for turning over heavy tubes in the larger sizes.

Sent from my CPH2127 using Tapatalk

I use the 15lb for bigger flies. It is thick and certainly turns over the heavier flies.

Loxie

Reaction score
If you can get it 12lb Nitlon is the best I've tried. I'm not a massive fan of seaguar due to its very poor knot strength.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Seagur ace hard is all I would use ... 30lb to a ring then 23 to 19 for point or dropper depending on conditions or tips used , Bin it as soon as you get any knots or it looks abraised though and tuck the knots or use rapala knots !

MarkR

Reaction score
Seagur ace hard is all I would use ... 30lb to a ring then 23 to 19 for point or dropper depending on conditions or tips used , Bin it as soon as you get any knots or it looks abraised though and tuck the knots or use rapala knots !
Cheers Matty

Loxie

Reaction score
Personally I would avoid tucking knots in fluoro. I would test them thoroughly before use though!

chriswjx

Reaction score
I use Seaguar red label in all my trout fishing (when i'm not using maxima). I've got a couple of spools of it in 12/15 lb which I bought initially thinking to try it for salmon. But been advised to stick to maxima for the Tay, which is where I've done all my fishing so far.

If you end up liking the Seaguar stuff, buy it off Amazon via the Amazon US store. I get 200 yd spools of the 8 lb stuff for my trout fishing for anywhere between £12-17 with free delivery. Takes a few weeks to come as it's shipped from the US, and the price fluctuates regularly probably due to the exchange rate among other things...