Fluorescent Green Irish Shrimp

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I first saw this pattern in Peter O'Reilly's book around 20 years ago but had never tried it. Gwelsher sent me some flies one time and there was a flouresc green shrimp among them. I remember using it one evening at the river a few years back when I hooked 5 salmon in a few hours and there were at least 3 of them hooked on this pattern.

IMG_20200409_125923.jpg

Bradan_eire_alba

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the fly and story Jockie. It's colour combos that I probably wouldn't reach for but glad to hear it's worked for you. Great work Jockie and hope you are out amongst them when allowed again.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the fly and story Jockie. It's colour combos that I probably wouldn't reach for but glad to hear it's worked for you. Great work Jockie and hope you are out amongst them when allowed again.

Thank you sir! And I hope you get the line tightened a few times yourself! :)

gwelsher

Reaction score
Yes Richard I have caught a fair few evening fish on it, and Grilse as well, and great that it works for you.
I first saw the idea posted on this Forum many years ago.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Very nice, perfect for dirty water. I have tied this pattern before but never really gave it a proper triall.

I have a spool of fluo green floss that has much more impact than Glo Brite. I bought it more than 20 years ago and it may have been Gordon Griffiths so no longer available. It goes on much smoother, giving a better sheen.

It looked great as a butt on badger wing blue charms and I did very well with them in May on the Slaney whenever fresh fish were running. Instead of tying as a normal butt, I tied it as a rear body under the rib so body was rear third fluo yellow/green and front two thirds black floss. Always on size 4 singles.

I was convinced of its magical fish catching properties. Pic below is that spool beside Glo Brite. I consider it too precious to use, there might be 20 flies left on it. If anyone knows of something similar, please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jockiescott

Reaction score
That is a difficult one that. I know exactly how you feel. I'm exactly the same with 'old gold' or crunchie bar gold tinsel. There are flies that just don't look the same without it but I don't want to use it up either.

I hope someone will be able to help you out with your floss issue!

Rainclouds

Reaction score
Cheers JS,
Truth is I haven't looked too hard. I have looked in shops but a search online gave me a few possibilities, from Uni Floss to Semperfli. I'm sure someone must have your old gold tinsel lying around.

Woodsy

Reaction score
Very nice, perfect for dirty water. I have tied this pattern before but never really gave it a proper triall.

I have a spool of fluo green floss that has much more impact than Glo Brite. I bought it more than 20 years ago and it may have been Gordon Griffiths so no longer available. It goes on much smoother, giving a better sheen.

It looked great as a butt on badger wing blue charms and I did very well with them in May on the Slaney whenever fresh fish were running. Instead of tying as a normal butt, I tied it as a rear body under the rib so body was rear third fluo yellow/green and front two thirds black floss. Always on size 4 singles.

I was convinced of its magical fish catching properties. Pic below is that spool beside Glo Brite. I consider it too precious to use, there might be 20 flies left on it. If anyone knows of something similar, please let me know.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I also have a very old spool of fl. Green with no name and no idea where to buy more.

Could this be your floss?

Screenshot_20201120-195528_Google.jpg

Woodsy

Reaction score
This is the floss I use in fl. Green lime and red next to globrite no 12, anyone any idea?20201120_200851.jpg

Attachments

• 20201120_200921.jpg
    20201120_200921.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 27