Florida December 2021

Nath

Reaction score
Hi.

Hopefully me and my whole family are off to Florida for my mums 70th birthday in December (Covid permitting, but it’s all booked). A week in the parks with the kids then we are off for a beach week on the gulf coast, at Fort Myers.

Now I have been to Florida a fair few times and fished over the years, but mainly when I was younger and not for 15 years, so i am out of touch really with the fishing side.

I have caught bone fish, snapper and sting ray etc with live bait, but now I tend to just fly fish.

I have not been there in December before, so has anyone any advice for fishing at this time of year please? What am I best targeting from the beach at that time of year or would I need to get out on a boat?

Also I am planning on using a 10ft 8wt set up, which I think should cover me?

Thanks in advance

squimp

Reaction score
Google a local fly shop and then ask them what is available. Also check the tides - some days will be better than others.

Ive fished extensively in The Keys and the winter time staple is barracuda fishing. If it is really mild you might find some tarpon in the backcountry.

Another possibility would be jacks On the Oceanside. I’ve caught them up around Palm Beach in the winter time.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Nath

Try local shops as above. Redfish on the fly, or light bait (DOA Shrimp) are great fun. Maybe you’d need a trip or so with a guide to pattern the fish & some local tips to put you into them, but a quick google maps shows lots of tidal creeks & potential areas.

Nath

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the tips, will do some more reading.

Much appreciated

Nathan

Pete V

Reaction score
I have not fished the Fort Myers area but I have fished a few miles further south, out of Chokoloskee or Everglades city. There you fish the Ten Thousand Island Reserve, which as the name says is a load of islands.
At that time of year you may get the odd cold spell and the sheltered island my be a little warmer than the beaches.
You can find tarpon, red fish and snook. These may be under the mangroves so you need to practice a very flat side arm cast.

If it is cold and sunny you may find big snook warming themselves in sandy holes.

With regard to fishing beaches, there will probably be a few people around and the mornings will be quite cool and not a lot of fish.

Also I would use a 9ft 9wt rod as you will need to cast larger flies like deceivers and seaducers.