Flies for The Tweed Back End

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Morning Salar Hunters,

I am having 4 days at the back end of the tweed.

I'm fishing Haystoun and Horsburgh.

Can anybody recommend some flies and tackle set-ups (tips and leader length) for my trip?

Many thanks

Rennie

Reaction score
Any thing Gold body with a Black and Yellow theme running through it. The conventional Black n Yellow tube fly for the faster higher water and maybe wee plaggy tubes of a Scandi flavour in the same colour scheme. A few all red shrimpy things won't go amiss either ( Allies, Francis etc.) and the later on you go in the season I'd have some plain small Stoats Tails with no flash or rib, maybe a touch of Claret or Purple in them, small all Black very sombre looking indeed for if you have to interest the very coloured fish to save a blank.
Something 13ft down to switch rod ish water height depending.I'd favour a floating head and poly approach, 10ft polys and 6ft of say 15lb fluro. I'd have a pukka Multi tip in the bag/car for Justin and maybe an Inty too.
Not a big wide fast river up there, Loop type bottle tubes, wee Cone heads. Don't burden yourself with kit, keep on the move search your pools, look for a fish willing to take a flee.The cleaner fish will be moving thats for sure, the old residents will be holding up now. Don't linger over the old Blacker fish, like as not they won't be interested and you probably won't want to catch them any way and above all, careful where you wade, further into Nov. you get Sea Trout certainly will be redding up, Salar may not be far behind!.
Good luck, you might get on an Ian Bain Video!.
Pedro.

P.S whoops forgot the leaves, there could well be loads and loads of 'em, so flee's that look nowt like a leaf and some single hooks, or at least think about how you'll avoid a leaf every single chuck!.

Last edited:

Oscar

Reaction score
Leaves could be an issue, so maybe consider singles for any tubes.

Also, for the same reason (i.e. leaves) think about a Junction Shrimp, with the white standing out against the yellow, red and orange leaves.

Oscar.

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Any thing Gold body with a Black and Yellow theme running through it. The conventional Black n Yellow tube fly for the faster higher water and maybe wee plaggy tubes of a Scandi flavour in the same colour scheme. A few all red shrimpy things won't go amiss either ( Allies, Francis etc.) and the later on you go in the season I'd have some plain small Stoats Tails with no flash or rib, maybe a touch of Claret or Purple in them, small all Black very sombre looking indeed for if you have to interest the very coloured fish to save a blank.
Something 13ft down to switch rod ish water height depending.I'd favour a floating head and poly approach, 10ft polys and 6ft of say 15lb fluro. I'd have a pukka Multi tip in the bag/car for Justin and maybe an Inty too.
Not a big wide fast river up there, Loop type bottle tubes, wee Cone heads. Don't burden yourself with kit, keep on the move search your pools, look for a fish willing to take a flee.The cleaner fish will be moving thats for sure, the old residents will be holding up now. Don't linger over the old Blacker fish, like as not they won't be interested and you probably won't want to catch them any way and above all, careful where you wade, further into Nov. you get Sea Trout certainly will be redding up, Salar may not be far behind!.
Good luck, you might get on an Ian Bain Video!.
Pedro.

P.S whoops forgot the leaves, there could well be loads and loads of 'em, so flee's that look nowt like a leaf and some single hooks, or at least think about how you'll avoid a leaf every single chuck!.
I fished a beat with loads of leaves once. As the wind picked up and it was a leaf a chuck. So I bought some singles for the very same reason you both mention!!!!!

I have some scandi flies so I can turn the hook upside down into the dressing, hopefully that will avoid too much pain.

Its a good shout the Junction Shrimp Oscar. I will tie some up tonight!

Cheers gents

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Morning Salar Hunters,

I am having 4 days at the back end of the tweed.

I'm fishing Haystoun and Horsburgh.

Can anybody recommend some flies and tackle set-ups (tips and leader length) for my trip?

Many thanks

Hi Geordie boy drop me a pm when your up and I'll drop some fly's off to you 👍 junctions, something with a bit of pink if it's leave soup and the good old Willie Gunn 🎣

Geordieboy

Reaction score
Hi Geordie boy drop me a pm when your up and I'll drop some fly's off to you 👍 junctions, something with a bit of pink if it's leave soup and the good old Willie Gunn 🎣
Hi Lamson v10. That is simply most kind sir. I really appreciate your kindness. We are travelling up on the Wednesday 3rd of November. At which point I am sure there will be plenty of leaves in the water!!!!

Greatly appreciated that is.

Rosslinden0

Reaction score
Can add a bit of JC to the head if you like

612F2dS1HCL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Aidan Rocks

Reaction score
Fish Peebles town water. Last time I fished it (years ago, never go back) I realised I was the only person fishing it properly! They actually let me fish down a pool first before they started snagging it. They were lined up! The guy I talked to recons he only gets 1 in every 7 he hooks, out on the bank. Not sure if that is a good ratio for the snaggers as most do not publish their results. 2 were caught before it was daylight. Took me an hour before I worked out the score. Never been it done deliberately with a fly rod before. Only plus point of the day was when one of them hooked a good fish and lost his line and his backing. He asked me if I would help look for it. I politely declined. You need to wrap some wool around the lead, help with the pretense it is still fly fishing. Doubt it's that bad now as no fish to snag!

Scierra

Reaction score
Fish Peebles town water. Last time I fished it (years ago, never go back) I realised I was the only person fishing it properly! They actually let me fish down a pool first before they started snagging it. They were lined up! The guy I talked to recons he only gets 1 in every 7 he hooks, out on the bank. Not sure if that is a good ratio for the snaggers as most do not publish their results. 2 were caught before it was daylight. Took me an hour before I worked out the score. Never been it done deliberately with a fly rod before. Only plus point of the day was when one of them hooked a good fish and lost his line and his backing. He asked me if I would help look for it. I politely declined. You need to wrap some wool around the lead, help with the pretense it is still fly fishing. Doubt it's that bad now as no fish to snag!
But you wernt first down the pool as you stated 2 fish caught before daylight ? lucky you them letting you fish the pool ?
Yes I have witnessed the snaggers and not just on the Peebles town water years ago . does this still go on now ?

Lamson v10

Reaction score

Luckily is now a thing of the past and has been cleaned up very well by the crown bailiffs 👍

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Hi Lamson v10. That is simply most kind sir. I really appreciate your kindness. We are travelling up on the Wednesday 3rd of November. At which point I am sure there will be plenty of leaves in the water!!!!

Greatly appreciated that is.

Absolutely no bother at all 👍

Andrew B

Reaction score
Awful stuff. The times I’ve found certain pools in Wales, with numbers of double figure sea trout and the odd big salmon that wouldn’t take my flies and been left wondering if a worm would of done the job lol. Reckon I speak for us all here, that to deliberately snare such fish would leave an awful taste in the mouth imo?

Rennie

Reaction score
For some people snagging fish by one means or another was a way of life and many considered it their right. I've seen deliberate and purposeful snagging of fish with a fly rod on more rivers than the Tweed and not allways in the Autumn and frequently in broad daylight too.
Don't for one minute imagine its the practise of the lowly criminal elements either. I've seen let rods on Nith, Dee and Tweed all snatching in broad daylight with brazen disregard for any one watching.
One year while I was fishing Ashiesteil in Nov. there was a party of Swiss/Austrian/German rods ( can't remember exactly now ) and one of that party was so brazen about snatching he was being watched openly by Ghillies and Baliffs on both sides of the river. That party was fishing different beats each day and the guys reputation preceded him each day onto the new beat to the extent he was being warned each and every day as to the protocols of fishing in the UK for Salmon. Come the Weds. of the week he's was off, no more fishing for him.If my memories right it was the start of the Autumn run failing and fish were very hard to come by. He was taking 2 or 3 fish per day when no one else was touching a thing. I had him opposite me when I was in the boat pool at Ashiesteil and he was into two fish pretty quickly.Honestly it was like watching some one with a nervous twitch fishing!, I rang our Ghillie and told him, he rang their Ghillie who came down and spoke to him, but he carried on.It got to the point I went down opposite him and told him straight, one more instance and I'd wade over and sort him myself!. He walked off at that, but the very next day he got his marching orders from the river.I seem to recall he was at it the year before too!.
I've spent more time fishing a sunk line of one sort or another most of my Salmon fishing career. I know there are times fish get fouled and it isn't intentional. It happens, throw inexperienced rods into the mix and at times it's inevitable. But by that same proviso I know when some ones up to no good too, it sticks out like a sore thumb, often especially so when they're very good at it.
Pedro.

Southpaw123

Reaction score
Fishing a day on Ashiestiel and another on Glenormiston next week.Great info on fly choice from above posts but was also wondering what the wading on both beats will be like ?Any additional info,hints,tips do’s and dont‘s for either beat would be most welcome.Should say first time fishing the Tweed.

Elibank

Reaction score
Fishing a day on Ashiestiel and another on Glenormiston next week.Great info on fly choice from above posts but was also wondering what the wading on both beats will be like ?Any additional info,hints,tips do’s and dont‘s for either beat would be most welcome.Should say first time fishing the Tweed.
Ashiestiel, beware of Tiger Country wading, check with the ghillie 👍

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Most of Glenormiston is fairly easy wading or fishable off the bank. My advise re wading is, don’t wade any further out than is absolutely necessary. The amount of times I see people wading where they should be fishing. It appears that some folk just rock up at a pool or stream, wade out as far as they can and then try to cast as close to the far bank as possible. If they were fishing the opposite side they would be doing exactly the same. 🤔

Horsbrugh

Reaction score
Must have been a few years back, as that carry on is all a thing of the past now.

Peebles Town water is actually only a very short stretch within the town itself but the Crown Water runs from Peebles up to Manor bridge. The Crown Water was once notorious for illegal fishing but is now properly managed by Peebles Salmon Angling Club.

Rennie

Reaction score
Southpaw123, I've fished at Ashiesteil for a good few years. A rod of 13ft/14ft with a multi tip head or line will see you just fine. The beats split into 3 sub beats.
The first one is a long walk! and an absolute bugger for wading, you'll need a stick and take your time. You'll be under trees most of the time too.You don't need a long cast, the fish will be your side of the river, cast just past mid river, fish Steil pool below the hut on the opposite bank very hard and the Black pipe too,
Next sub beat is easy wade in Gladdie Wheel, best pool on the whole beat too, next pool down Rampy is a pig again, but very worth it!, fish below the Croy to the Golden Bush opposite reet hard.
Bottom sub beat is an easy wade, Pete's Pot at the top on your bank fish right under the tree into the bank, Boat pools easy peasy wade and easy to fish. House pools tight to the bank under tree's again but can be good at the very top and the very bottom.
Black n Yellow tubes, Yellow Allies, lots of Francis flee's, and White Wings, it's perfect Francis country!.
If Dave Prentice is still the Ghillie, tell him Pete's had a word with you and he'll put you right.
Honesty time here, you'll need a stick, good wading boots and need to be a confident wader, some of the beat is hard wade indeed. It fishes best at 18" on Peebles gauge, at 2ft+ it starts to get hard to get into and fish. At 18" on you can get in at the top of beat one and wade right down to the bottom of the Steil pool opposite the funny tree on the Green Bank. Floater and poly's in low water or inty or type 3 multi tip when there's water on will see you right.
If you can fish beat one in the morning and beat two after lunch- thats a good rotation!.
You should get a pull with a Francis in Gladdie, cast it square right across tight to the very far bank within an inch or so! all the way down and just let it come round, there will be fish in there!
Best of luck, and let us know how you get on!.
Pedro.

Southpaw123

Reaction score
Had our 2 days on the tweed.Tuesday we were at Ashiestiel, water had been up and falling in nicely.David Prentice greeted us and had us fishing with confidence.Plenty off fish seen by us and the other rods but sadly no takers.nice beat to fish but as said above the top beat is hard wading but can be very productive.Wednesday brought in heavy rain early morning for our trip to Glenormiston.Water was rising for arrival time but still cleanish so had throw for couple off hours but the leaves and dirty water were getting a bit much by 11 ish.We persevered after a long lunch as water was dropping and clearing a little but our efforts were to no avail.Big thank you to David and especially Douglas McGregor who was doing his best in the difficult conditions .Thanks to forum members for feedback.Tight lines

simoncassidy

Reaction score
Had our 2 days on the tweed.Tuesday we were at Ashiestiel, water had been up and falling in nicely.David Prentice greeted us and had us fishing with confidence.Plenty off fish seen by us and the other rods but sadly no takers.nice beat to fish but as said above the top beat is hard wading but can be very productive.Wednesday brought in heavy rain early morning for our trip to Glenormiston.Water was rising for arrival time but still cleanish so had throw for couple off hours but the leaves and dirty water were getting a bit much by 11 ish.We persevered after a long lunch as water was dropping and clearing a little but our efforts were to no avail.Big thank you to David and especially Douglas McGregor who was doing his best in the difficult conditions .Thanks to forum members for feedback.Tight lines
Nice to meet you guys today,Was tough going today,We had no joy down below in the afternoon.Fingers,legs and arms crossed here that the river wont be out of order tomorrow.