Flies for Grilse - whats your favourite, never fail fly ??

Tyke777

Reaction score
Its soon getting to the time of year when the Grilse runs are back, those great summer days, fishing the heads and Tails of Pools, throwing a hitch fly or Collie Dog across to see if anything has a go....

My favorite Grilse fly over the years has become an Ayrshireman (but I'm no expert), but anyone of the flamethrowers is good, or a straight forward Cascade - what is your "Go To" Grilse fly?

I also think size is very important but just asking, whats the pattern that entices??

I'm looking forward to what people throw in the mix :thumb:

jcmj

Reaction score
Flies for Grilse

Alistair - tied on Tubes various sizes and weights - 1/4" plastic to 1" brass - The Helmsdale Company used to sell them with fluorescent red heads which were good - they still sell Cascade Alistairs which are also very good.

Last edited:

Neil W

Reaction score
Cascade is good but I still catch a lot on a ally’s shrimp. Still a great fly for me

Loxie

Reaction score
It's quite an interesting question. I tend not to differentiate between grilse and salmon flies. I very occasionally fish in a different way, and often in a different place but not with different flies. I will be interested to hear what others think.

dexterbuchanan1

Reaction score
For running fish(high water)flamethrower in orange/ cascade or a long tailed GP,for normal and low water conditions a sunray stripped fast is hard to beat not just for takes but it often shows where a fish is laying for a second run down with small dark fly (stoatstail/haugar)

AdeyB

Reaction score
Small red boyo's always been good for me and the Maries Shrimp , both on small doubles.

Also had alot of success with Alistair micro tubes in lower water.

Reaction score
All on a size 10 or 12 double's

Curry red or gold Shrimp
Calvin Shrimp
Silver Doctor
Bann Special
Hairy Mary
Lemon Lobber (Limerick Fly)
Hot Orange
Soldier Palmer

In my view that's all I use for grisles (Summer Pale/Peale/Peel)

Last edited:

Elibank

Reaction score
Several years ago, I bought a tackle dealer’s stock of the now discontinued 12mm Waddingtons - I tie Willie Gunns with 14 or 12 treble, and find they do the job.

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Silver Doctor or a Silver Stoat.
Munro killer, something along the lines of these.

Attachments

• 20180319_191200.jpg
    20180319_191200.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 377
G

guest2938

Yes, it’s a silver stoat with JC for me too

Or a Sunray or a small hitch last light

DCH

Tyke777

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input - its amazing how everyone has a different slant on the ideal fly, I do enjoy using the hitched fly - not many stick but my goodness its exciting to fish and see the fish.

A couple of trips booked north in June, then the inner Hebrides in July and finally north again in August - fingers crossed for a good grilse run appearing, if you can hit it right they can be tremendous fun :clap2: tight lines everyone

Lewis.Chessman

Reaction score
Tyke, if you're fishing in Skye (or even if not) and like a good read look for Stephen Johnston's 'Fishing From Afar' and 'Fishing With a Purpose'. The first he wrote from memory when a P.O.W. in WWII about salmon & sea trout fishing in the Camasunary/Coruisk area, the second is more of a 'how to' book. Another good author on Hebridean fishing is Sidney Spencer.

For fresh fish I like something with blue on it, especially on a blue-sky day. Donegal Blue or DB Muddler on the bob and maybe a silver stoat or wee Ally's on the tail. When they've been up a bit blue seems less effective and orange fairs better for me, so an Orange Muddler gets fished a lot. A Thunder & Lightening, Ally's or Executioner all have a swim at some point.