Flee Tying Station/Desk

Rennie

Reaction score
Just wondering where you all do your fly tying?.
I've now got the little back bedroom(its a perfect size!) and inherited my eldest sons old computer table- plenty of draws and a big flat tying space, ok for vices etc., I've also another set of draws behind for associated fishing gubbins and all the guff I have and will evermore collect.
I've had it set up for a while and while its pretty basic, it performs its function amazingly well.As I type this I'm looking to enhance the actual tying area with a tidy for tools, with flee clips for drying, varnish holders and a station for my tube melting candle(tea light)!.
In case you wondered thats going to be 3 bits of wood with holes drilled in with a glass chopping board as a work surface.
Indeed I've looked at the t'interweb and some of the benches, table's and set ups on there are amazing, but I don't doubt a lot of work and highly expensive.
As money will be the issue(the actual room at one point may well need to revert to a bedroom) something effective yet not permanent and cost efficient isn't too far off.
Just getting the lump hammer out, cutting some bits off the dining table legs and sharpening a few nails in preparation.I've a few ideas rattling round in the empty space twixt the ears, but be real cool to see and hear from other folk with their set ups and experience's.
Cheers,Pedro.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
I got a shed built 8 or 9 years ago. The first thing that went into it was my fly tying bench.

I had a set of four wooden shelves that were bought for a few pounds in a pack. It turned out that two of them, side by side, fitted perfectly under the window of the shed. I made a frame from the left over timber from the shed and screwed the wooden shelves onto the frame and made a good sound base.

I have a set of plastic drawers that I bought in poundstretchers for £12 sitting on the floor that I keep most of my materials in and a wee set of wooden kitchen drawers sitting on the bench itself that once belonged to a relative of mine that I keep my seals fur and other smaller packages in.

I have a big square polystyrene lining that came out of some box or other sitting at the side of the desk that I keep my tied flies on.

I would love to post a photo of my setup but it's a complete mess and I'm not going to embarress myself!!! :lol:

Aled

Reaction score
I've seen some cracking set ups over the years, and back in my bachelor days had a desk set up nicely under the stairs which worked really well. However marriage etc has changed things a bit and I bought a 2nd hand writing desk which I have in the corner of the dining room, its a nice looking piece of furniture (not expensive at all) which I can tie flies in warmth and comfort, however I can close it and hide a lot of mess! Compared to the cold garage of my early marriage days this is bliss!!
Cheers
Aled

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Must be something in the air as I'm also finally getting round to having something permanent that I can sit and tie at without having to look out the vice, then set out the materials / boxes etc, which kinda puts you off if a burst of enthusiasm takes hold.
Im using a writing burea which I can close the fold down flap and all is kept tidy(ish) ...but ready to go when I fancy....and the underneath cupboards just about hold all I need.
Sent the Mrs to Ikea today ... ( yes I know...hardly classic furniture..but it doesn't cost the earth and she's compromised enough with me taking up more space lol.) to get a small pair of matching drawer units so, once they've been built..(probably another epic..) then I'm.good to go.
Be nice to sit down and have everything at hand whenever I feel the urge.
This thread needs pics, I do like seeing other folks set ups, I'll post mine once it's sorted

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had quite a few house's since 1978 and until I came here (Alaska) 15 years ago I always kept what they call 'a den' in America. I've had some really cool dens but here our entire home is like a cabin so I just set up camp in the main house.

In 2005 I went to a 'Moving Sale' couple people moving to Washington State and I bought an Ash Kitchen Prep table cheap. Little thing on caster wheels with a drop leaf on each end. They are meant to add additional counter space for a small kitchen I think.

Anyway...…… It immediately became my tying bench - table whatever it is and I even have pictures because this is a very popular topic on the American forum :)

Here it is all cleaned up;

This is what it really looks like;

Complete with some of my old (circa 1980) salmon flies and fish related art it's where I make all those Euro type pattern copies that I catch these fish on.

Those are actual married wing flies from 1980 the ones under glass dome are newer and feather wing classic streamers.

The hand made frame with a quote and single shadow display was a gift from a man in Oregon.

I didn't know what to do with it until a gifted fellow famous for his fly tying sent me this wonderful Durham Ranger Double.

When he did that I stuck it into that frames display box and hung it up.

I've managed to keep all my stuff through all the years and all the moves. My Brook Trout still hangs above my tying vise just like 25 years ago.....

Oh and the script in that oak frame with the gifted Durham Ranger?

Enough silks and supplies to last the rest of my life and yet another's I'd imagine, and jungle cock, oh I collected those through the years too....

Some of those are unused and date back to the 1970's, they were so fine I could never bring myself to pluck an eye.

My wife does Quilting and has her own in home studio for it so we both have our thing of craft although her sewing then quilting is a bit more work I believe.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations to Rennie or Pedro I'm not sure which it is but you've got yourself a Sticky :wow:

firefly

Reaction score
This was mine in a former life, many happy memories.

DSC_0123.JPG
DSC_0124.JPG

Rennie

Reaction score
Jeez, thats neat and tidy Firefly-have you never tied a flee on there at all?, lol.
Only joking.My set up wasn't that tidy before I put anything in there!
Great stuff! thanks.
Ard, your set up looks lived in, an old friend, just like you put your hand out to a certain place and what you want is right there.
Flattered at the sticky!, Rennie, Pedro or even Oi Fatso are all ok.
Cheers all!,Pedro.

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This topic has been popular and we have had the thread running for 11 years on the other forum. Some of the set ups are astonishing with all the supplies and furnishings. That is why I had photos in a file ready to go. Never knew I'd be on the internet when I had cool dens but then there were no digital cameras either.........

Great thread for chat.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
When I made the drawers I put a pull out table in for the fly tying. Mostly I’m doing it i a table in front of the TV atm though.

B5A12039-FFE6-492A-9FD9-5803FAE940A2.jpeg

Folds away

0D26DF2C-F035-4B07-AFED-AF7C4F7F6C7F.jpeg

All the kit is in these, it’s a tight squeeze!

152822CC-B959-4120-8EAB-57334A8BCB0C.jpeg

Flies end up everywhere out of the reach of prying hands. This is the lintel.

358AC289-8754-4247-B8D4-27FB60D9347E.jpeg

Last edited:

Rennie

Reaction score
Ah!, I see you take photo's on your side, just like wot I do too!.
Tidy simple solution GK.
Pedro.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Pretty much finished since adding the small drawer units, just need to sort out some small internal storage options but probably the tidiest it's ever going to be :lol:

IMAG5080_1.jpg

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Pretty much finished since adding the small drawer units, just need to sort out some small internal storage options but probably the tidiest it's ever going to be :lol:

View attachment 40894

Far too neat and tidy that!!! :lol:

It takes me well over half an hour to tie a fly looking through the mess on my desk to find the materials I'm looking for.

I spent a day sorting and putting everything away neatly a few months ago. It then took me nearly an hour to tie my next fly searching through drawers for the materials.

Not easy! :lol:

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
Far too neat and tidy that!!! :lol:

It takes me well over half an hour to tie a fly looking through the mess on my desk to find the materials I'm looking for.

I spent a day sorting and putting everything away neatly a few months ago. It then took me nearly an hour to tie my next fly searching through drawers for the materials.

Not easy! :lol:

:D
That's the reason I've had to sort it out Jockie, I am a bit if a neat freak but it's also to help the efficiency of tying...
I kept stuff in a big Stanley roller tool box for long enough, then other stuff scattered around, like you, it was like a military mobilisation just to batter out a few cascades...lol...hopefully no more....

Last edited:

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That business of cleaning & tidying up always causes problems. I only do it when we are having company and my area is clearly not like the rest of the home. Then once back to normal I make a mess all over.

When it comes to fly tying discussions here and on the American fly forum the question of lamps specifically what is a good one often comes up. Because of that I have pictures of the lamp I have fixed to my little table.

It is old and you see it here as it is screwed firmly to the rear of the table top. It has an articulating arm and head that easily extends and lowers to any position I need for work. That is why I fastened it with the screws, to allow my pulling at it without the base moving.

Here you see where the base is fast to the table.

I don't know the availability of such lamps in the UK but the magnifier combined with the lighting makes this thing very useful.

This is the light supply

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s worked fine for a few years now.

However, I’ll take you up on your offer of a bigger house. I’ll meet you at the airport, bring your tools and we’ll be done in a few months:D

You misunderstand I think, I meant the fixed pictures when I said "How's that then? And when I said "if you want I'll replace yours" I meant I'd replace the sideway images in your post :)

Hardyreels

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More please?

This was just becoming interesting then dried up...………...

Rennie

Reaction score
I'm currently drawing on bits of wood and getting splinters in my hands working out my little station (wood so far has cost well less than my £5 target!).
Very amateur- ish pics of efforts will follow shortly.
Also have to say a visit to the local £ shop has seen various plaggy box's and draws purchased and being utilised(for not a lot of brass either!) for bits n bobs and tubes and stuff which have made a huge difference to the neat n tidy appearance.I've also cheated slightly in that I still utilise my old Bob Church flee tying case for storage of some items.
Bucktails and capes now reside in big organiser box's and she who must be obeyed had the bright idea of utilising old lap top cases, cd cases and such like for other gear.All starting to gel now.So far it's been more effort than cost, which pleases!.
The old PC desk is central to it all(I think it was an Argos item when we bought it for No. 2 son!) and if memory serves it wasn't that heavy on cost, but is functionally effective.Ikea was the place for the magnifier light on an adjustable boom, again reasonable, with a second bedside light to compliment.
While I'm working on the tidy, I'm trying to figure out a solution for holding tubes while the varnished heads dry off, couple of idea's there to explore.At the moment thats old expanded polystyrene packaging materials which is handy, but only has a limited shelf life.That will probably revolve round straightened paper clips some how!.I got 20 of those neat little circuit testing clips for absolute peanuts from an Electrical shop, even cheaper than t'interweb!, which will hold flee's and they'll be an integral part of the tidy too.
Slow but sure is the way at the moment, an evolving process!.
Currently it's Tea and Hob Knobs time, then back to it.
Pedro.'

gwelsher

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a solution for holding tubes while the varnished heads dry off, couple of idea's there to explore.At the moment thats old expanded polystyrene packaging materials which is handy, but only has a limited shelf life.That will probably revolve round straightened paper clips some how!.I got 20 of those neat little circuit testing clips for absolute peanuts from an Electrical shop, even cheaper than t'interweb!, which will hold flee's and they'll be an integral part of the tidy too.
Pedro.'

Just put your paper clip, I use a selection of different size needles, into the fly clip and push on the tube.

IMG_0833.jpg

Rennie

Reaction score
Damn, you rumbled me Gary, thats where I was settling towards, that or either trimming the polystyrene blocks, glueing them into a frame of sorts and just pushing paper clips into it, for a free standing item!.
It'll all be nowt special, yet still functional and practical.
Pedro.