Fishing with Mackerel in rivers for sea trout or brown trout

Chicharito

Reaction score
I can't see them going that far up a river unless there was a very high salt content in the water. Mouths of rivers are good. Berwick-upon-Tweed can be good but I doubt whether they venture very far up river.

Clydebuilt

Reaction score
In my experience mackerel do not like fresh water, over the years, when estuary fishing and mackerel have been about, if the river running into the estuary was in spate, the mackerel were never close by, they did not seem to like the diluted salinity.
Mullet will travel quite a distance into the river though

carbisdale caster

Reaction score
Are you asking whether folk have fished for mackerel in rivers or used them as bait? if the former then i've seen and caught flounders (accidentally) on the kyle of sutherland which is tidal right up as far as the bailey bridge on the lower oykel* just beyond rosehall but never have I seen or heard of mackerel being caught

*A good distance from the sea

Stuart1108

Reaction score
Are you asking whether folk have fished for mackerel in rivers or used them as bait? if the former then i've seen and caught flounders (accidentally) on the kyle of sutherland which is tidal right up as far as the bailey bridge on the lower oykel* just beyond rosehall but never have I seen or heard of mackerel being caught

*A good distance from the sea
Yeah title updated thanks

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Strips of mackerel are a really successful bait in the Tay estuary and I don’t see why they wouldn’t work further up river for the sea trout especially if fished like a lure.

wormo

Reaction score
mackerel strips or even better fresh herring strips drifted behind a bubble float , fished on a pennel rig is deadly in estuaries, a wee bit crude set up but works a treat , never used it in fresh water though

Beefly Dave

Reaction score
I caught a couple of peal on the Cornish Inny on worm tipped with a strip of mackerel belly many years ago. Used it to help spin out my worms during a hot n dry summer when worm digging was even less fun than usual. No magic bullet though as i did much better on worm only in other summers (though in fairness, fishing conditions were probably pretty grim during that particular drought)

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
In the estuary a mackerel strip or white bait would have been the main choices for white trout.. only thing I've caught on mackerel in fresh water is pike but trout do eat anything so no reason why a big cannibal trout wouldn't scoop up some fresh mackerel.. I'm sure any pike lads who fish loughs with both species might have good info

simonjh98

Reaction score
I saw an 11lb brown trout caught on Lough Erne as bycatch from a Pike angler that was using a Popped Up mackerel. They definitely have the ability anyway.

ArchieL

Reaction score
Strips of mackerel are a really successful bait in the Tay estuary and I don’t see why they wouldn’t work further up river for the sea trout especially if fished like a lure.

I have heard of quite a few people fishing the Tay Estuary and sure it was covered here years ago. Are we talking Dundee Area ? Also where would you buy a ticket from. Sort of thing i could take my boy and his cousins out to do.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I saw an 11lb brown trout caught on Lough Erne as bycatch from a Pike angler that was using a Popped Up mackerel. They definitely have the ability anyway.

Read on trout fisherman magazine an article years ago about the amount of big browns that were being caught using mackeral strips in loughs, Article was slating the teqnique for being bait fishing for the big cannibal trophy trout. Think there was a hint of jealousy in person who wrote article.

The Flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I have heard of quite a few people fishing the Tay Estuary and sure it was covered here years ago. Are we talking Dundee Area ? Also where would you buy a ticket from. Sort of thing i could take my boy and his cousins out to do.
I did have a fishing boat that I used for sea trout fishing in the Tay estuary for years until last month. Broke my heart selling her after 27 years.
Ive done a lot of sea trout fishing on the bank also. You can get a season ticket from Dundee house council office for £17.50. My pals still go fly fishing off the bank for them. Mainly fife side down from lighthouse or cemetery or the stannergate Dundee side and they do ok. Not been the best season. There’s also decent bits in between the bridges for both fly fishing and bait fishing. A guy I know took his young lad out fishing for flatties with strips of mackerel and landed a sea trout over 5lb.
Hart bony lures jigged are also affective.
If you decide to take your young lad out give me a shout I’d be happy to meet you and show you where etc.
cheers Gordon.

ArchieL

Reaction score
I did have a fishing boat that I used for sea trout fishing in the Tay estuary for years until last month. Broke my heart selling her after 27 years.
Ive done a lot of sea trout fishing on the bank also. You can get a season ticket from Dundee house council office for £17.50. My pals still go fly fishing off the bank for them. Mainly fife side down from lighthouse or cemetery or the stannergate Dundee side and they do ok. Not been the best season. There’s also decent bits in between the bridges for both fly fishing and bait fishing. A guy I know took his young lad out fishing for flatties with strips of mackerel and landed a sea trout over 5lb.
Hart bony lures jigged are also affective.
If you decide to take your young lad out give me a shout I’d be happy to meet you and show you where etc.
cheers Gordon.

Thanks Gordon , Wont be this year but i will defo give you a shout if i go , thanks for info and taking time to post.