Fishing with light tackle

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Last year I bought a 7wt ULS Guideline rod off the Forum. It is 10ft single-hander designed to either spey or overhead cast.
There is enough of a butt below the reel to double hand cast if you want to. When paired with a ULS Multitip WF line ( an integrated line rather than a shooting head) it is great for casting in tight positions.
I bought it with a view to using it for grilse and small seatrout but paired it up with a 6-8 Vosso reel in case I met something bigger. you can leave the drag loose so have fun with a 3/4lb seatrout which would be normal enough fish for me.
I proved last night that the kit has no problem with larger fish landing a relatively fresh 11ler that just about fitted into the trout weigh net.

21.6 net.jpg
The second fish was never going into the trout net and I had to hand tail it as the was nowhere to beach it. Although you can't see it in the picture it had lost one of its side fins to a seal.
Both took a VanBeck tied on a size 8 trout fly. With the Vosso reel the kit was more than up to the task. Do many others use this type of light gear when there is a chance of a big fish?
21.6.21.jpg

uskgrub

Reaction score
Sounds like you had some good sport there. All i used to use for years was a 10' 7wt to fish my local spate river and sea trout at night, landed plenty of salmon on it to 20lb and sea trout to 18lb.

Never heard of a vanbeck fly, any chance of a picture?

Tees88

Reaction score
Great rods indeed! I haven't got one myself but a good friend has & they're brilliant bits of kit.

Well done, some cracking fish there.

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Sounds like you had some good sport there. All i used to use for years was a 10' 7wt to fish my local spate river and sea trout at night, landed plenty of salmon on it to 20lb and sea trout to 18lb.

Never heard of a vanbeck fly, any chance of a picture?
Seatrout to 18lbs is something that wouldn't feature in my wildest dreams. There has been the very odd double figure seatrout in a couple of specific east coast rivers - maybe lost Welsh fish - but 7 or 8 lbs is a monster for most Irish anglers. My best was 3 3/4lbs on a dry Daddy as a 13 year old in Ballinahinch, long before the days of the salmon farms that destroyed a great seatrout fishery.

Rainclouds

Reaction score
I find you can play a fish fast and hard with a 10 foot #7. The only downside is the risk of a fish sinking a lot of fly line on a run as I have learned to my cost a couple of times. A well bent single hander gives very little clearance off the water. Those fish might have been lost anyway if hooked on a double hander.

When the water level drops there is no doubt the single hander is a very effective means of hooking fish. A 7 weight trout line and 12 foot tapered leader is a very stealthy way to fish imho.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
Hi well done on the fish and yes i use a 10ft 5wt switch rod with a 300 grain switch line and love it I have had a few grilse on it up to 6lbs great fun and I even have the same net as you as it fits in my suitcase for when i come over to the moy!!

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Hi well done on the fish and yes i use a 10ft 5wt switch rod with a 300 grain switch line and love it I have had a few grilse on it up to 6lbs great fun and I even have the same net as you as it fits in my suitcase for when i come over to the moy!!
I have the same ULS rod in a 5wt and have had grilse to 6lbs on it but not sure I would use it if I knew there was a reasonable chance of a double-figure fish. Either way, I would happily recommend the ULS system to anyone for summer fishing, especially if you can pick one up on the forum or get a good discount on a new one.
If at all possible go for the integrated WF line rather than the shooting head to match it.

lowforcefly

Reaction score
I use a 10' #8 Loop Evotec, for all my 'Hitch' work, and have had fish to 11lb.
A full colour cock fish, which took me halfway down the backing on its first run....that was interesting!
I wouldn't want to go any lower though, in the fishes interest. No doubt you would get a % out on the river, but the cost to the fish would make it a no for me.
Getting completely 'Mullered' by a good Sea Trout on my 9'#4 Streamflex, whilst trouting, brought that firmly home!
Despite running 100yds down the bank....very Monty Pythonish...it just laughed at me ?
Saying that though, I fish Dries on local Res. with a 9'#5 Evotec, and it handles 5lb'ers no problem ?

SILVER-SALMON

Reaction score
Love using my 10ft #7 for salmon and sea trout
Great fun
Caught a 15lb coloured hen fish last October great fight but at the time I just wanted the fish in the net and quickly unhooked to continue her journey
Felt like a 30 min it tussle
Only down side to fishing light with single handed rods late season or when C&R
Is hooking decent size fish 10 lb +
they double figured fish give u an absolute epic fight with the the SH rods due to lack of back bone
The Fish usually take longer to recover
Ad recommend a decent reel with a good drag
For anyone going light 😎

Rennie

Reaction score
I use Two Airflo trout rated 11ft 3 ins switch rods rated 6 and 7. I've had the 6 version a few years and rate it very highly indeed! with fish to 18lb on it and several high teens too. I use down to size 16's on it to 11lb Seaguar. It presents a flee like thistledown with barely a ripple, 25yds+ Spey casts are no problem, wind just dosen't bother it at all and it'll fish 10ft Trout polys no bother.Both rods cast and fish Airflo 40+ lines to perfection.
I got the heavier 7 weight rod last year, but as yet not christened it with Salar yet.
This sort of kit really does make a difference in low water conditions. One does need common sense in when to use such kit, they're not for heavy sinking tips and flee's, big fish in heavy flows, but used as a part of ones armoury in low water/difficult conditions are very much game changers.
I'd agree whole heartedly on a good reel with a useful reliable drag, but you'd be surprised as to how quick they'll bank fish.
Seriously I'd be lost without both of mine and thoroughly enjoy fishing with the both of them!.
Pedro.

Hoddom

Reaction score
That second photo is a really cracking image!
Been using a 7# 10 from the bank and a 6# 11 from the boat for salmon in Scottish lochs and small spate rivers like the Alness for many years. I also use the 7# 10 when hitching. Always great fun.
Last year on the Alness my 10ft snapped so I ended up using the very soft 11 (Hardy Drifter) while fishing a sink tip and tube. I had a super fish, maybe around 16lb take in the heavy water and that took the rod to its limit. First time I've felt under gunned and my feeling is it took too long to get the fish in. It recovered and swam away well, but even so, it was a very long battle.

Loxie

Reaction score
I use 10' 7wts and 6wts for most of my summer fishing. They work fine. You have no need to worry about taking too long to land a big fish as they line a rod casts has very little baring on how long it takes to land a fish. The rod is never the weakest link, it's always the hook hold, leader or hook or else you would loose a fox every time you get snagged. I've landed salmon to 25lb and sea trout to 15lb on single handers and never had the slightest issue.

goodwin8288

Reaction score
I have the same ULS rod in a 5wt and have had grilse to 6lbs on it but not sure I would use it if I knew there was a reasonable chance of a double-figure fish. Either way, I would happily recommend the ULS system to anyone for summer fishing, especially if you can pick one up on the forum or get a good discount on a new one.
If at all possible go for the integrated WF line rather than the shooting head to match it.
Mine is not the ULS rod but a 10ft 5wt switch rated small double hander/switch rod casting a 300 grain integrated line I would say the action is about the same as a 7 weight trout rod and with the bottom handle and extended top handle it gives you a bit more leverage when playing a fish and as with any lighter actioned rod if you hook a better fish you can lower the rod tip more to the water and flatten the curve of the rod out a bit to gain more control over the fish rather than having the rod doubled over

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Well Done
Unintentionally hooked a salmon on an 8.5 foot # 4 once. Didnt end well.

Lightest I go is a 12 foot #7.
I tend to agree with you I use a 11'#6/7 but don't find it adequate enough, yes you can land fish but it takes too long with a 12"#7 you can bully them, a 10'#7 is only a Grilse or sea trout Rod IMO.
A 10 ' #8 is a different kettle of fish you can bully them with the #8 but not with a #7 there is a big difference between the two rods.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Love using my little guideline switch most of the time on the coquet as i can get a splash free presentation.
Its got more than enough back bone to handpe decent fish. The only issue comes when trying to net a decent fish without help as the tips not heavy enough to get their head up. No problem if fishing with someone else or if you choose to beach your fish.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Loxie

Reaction score
Well Done

I tend to agree with you I use a 11'#6/7 but don't find it adequate enough, yes you can land fish but it takes too long with a 12"#7 you can bully them, a 10'#7 is only a Grilse or sea trout Rod IMO.
A 10 ' #8 is a different kettle of fish you can bully them with the #8 but not with a #7 there is a big difference between the two rods.
Just out of interest if you snag up with your 10' 7wt do you just leave it on the bank or do you pull and break the leader, bend the hook or break the snag? If the latter then surely you can do the same if hooked in to a fish and therefore "bully" it all you want?

uskgrub

Reaction score
Seatrout to 18lbs is something that wouldn't feature in my wildest dreams. There has been the very odd double figure seatrout in a couple of specific east coast rivers - maybe lost Welsh fish - but 7 or 8 lbs is a monster for most Irish anglers. My best was 3 3/4lbs on a dry Daddy as a 13 year old in Ballinahinch, long before the days of the salmon farms that destroyed a great seatrout fishery.
Yes fish of a lifetime to be honest, i know they dont grow to the sizes in Ireland that we get here in South Wales. I just posted a photo in the picture thread of one i had a few seasons back on the river Tywi, but its getting harder and harder to find these big Sea Trout as the seasons go by unfortunately

Slaneysider

Reaction score
Just out of interest if you snag up with your 10' 7wt do you just leave it on the bank or do you pull and break the leader, bend the hook or break the snag? If the latter then surely you can do the same if hooked in to a fish and therefore "bully" it all you want?
No that's not the point, the point is 10"#8 is a different rod it has that extra power in the tip there is a big difference I know you can bend into a #7 but it's a softer rod you can only pull so much with it, that's why they make #8 instead of #7 the #8 is a different beast altogether, I had a Zenith 10"#8 and offloaded it for the simple reason it was too stiff and into the butt had no feeling, twas a horrible rod.
I use the lpxe 6/7 now paired with the vosso and it's one of the best outfits I ever owned, the only problem is its soft and takes a long time to subdue a fish, doesn't matter whether you have 12 or 15lb Maxima

lowforcefly

Reaction score
Totally agree ! I just can't get my head around the trend of trying to catch on evermore lighter rods ?
The physical weight difference of the rods can be measured in grams, the strength of the leader and tippet is your choice?
Out of consideration for the fish, I just can't see the benefit...yes you'll get some out, god knows what state, but some you won't.
Having to resort to 'Pointing the rod at a fish, and hand lining' would only say I had picked the wrong rod.
You are always going to get that unexpected hook up with a lump, which is something you can't ever plan for?

Tangled

Reaction score
No that's not the point, the point is 10"#8 is a different rod it has that extra power in the tip there is a big difference I know you can bend into a #7 but it's a softer rod you can only pull so much with it, that's why they make #8 instead of #7 the #8 is a different beast altogether, I had a Zenith 10"#8 and offloaded it for the simple reason it was too stiff and into the butt had no feeling, twas a horrible rod.
I use the lpxe 6/7 now paired with the vosso and it's one of the best outfits I ever owned, the only problem is its soft and takes a long time to subdue a fish, doesn't matter whether you have 12 or 15lb Maxima

I think the point being made is that there's actually not a huge difference in the load that can be applied to a fish from the actual rod. And in fact, if you have a long rod (which will also usually be a heavier rod) the fish is able to put more pressure on YOU! That's because you are at the wrong end of a big lever.

Try pretending to be a fish, grab the end of the line with a mate on the rod and feel how much pull you feel - it's surprisingly little. I don't recommend you do this but if you attach a 50lb leader to your rod tip and try lifting a dead weight it's really hard to do it. You have to be damn strong and pretty brave but the rod could take it if you could. You can tow a dinghy with a #5 weight so long as you're careful and have a heavy enough line.

The rod becomes almost irrelevant if you point it at the fish. If you used say 30lb line and lowered your rod tip you can put a lot of force on the fish regardless of the weight of the rod - like pulling for a break. Very hard to make yourself do it but I've seen it done.

The main reason we have different weights of rods is the size of lure we are able chuck with them.

happy days

Reaction score
Some rivers you can only cover properly with a short rod 10ft 8wt CPS does me and I never fish less than 15lb seaguar for salmon 😊