Fishing the Spey

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Having never fished the Spey I am of a mind to try and get a few days booked next year, preferably the odd day here and there. I have had a look online and see that some beats don't let single days, the prices in some cases are also rather steep. Any advice on which beats will let a day or two and during which time of year would be gratefully received.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Having never fished the Spey I am of a mind to try and get a few days booked next year, preferably the odd day here and there. I have had a look online and see that some beats don't let single days, the prices in some cases are also rather steep. Any advice on which beats will let a day or two and during which time of year would be gratefully received.
Check out Fochabers

kingfisher

Stay Safe
Reaction score
Check out Fochabers
Grantown on Spey has some lovely water with cracking pools. Other association waters further from Grantown Also offer good fishing at reasonable costs.
Try http://abernethyangling.co.uk

williegunn2

Reaction score
Aberlour has a nice piece of Association water, and probably fishes over a longer window than some of the others. Fochabers, in the early part of the year the fish gallop through, but take a while to reach Grantown.

You haven’t said when you intend to fish the Spey.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
I hadn't realised there was more than one bit of association water on the Spey, I was only aware of Grantown so that's good to know. Judging by the links the sea trout fishing looks pretty good which could be a bonus if the salmon aren't playing ball.

I'm guessing it's difficult if not impossible to get on the private beats at a reasonable price out with early or late season dates?

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Aberlour has a nice piece of Association water, and probably fishes over a longer window than some of the others. Fochabers, in the early part of the year the fish gallop through, but take a while to reach Grantown.

You haven’t said when you intend to fish the Spey.
I'm pretty flexible on dates but anywhere between March and July at the moment. It looks like Abernethy only accept visitors from 4th July so early July might be on the cards. I wouldn't be against planning an earlier trip elsewhere as well.

Last edited:

williegunn2

Reaction score
I hadn't realised there was more than one bit of association water on the Spey, I was only aware of Grantown so that's good to know. Judging by the links the sea trout fishing looks pretty good which could be a bonus if the salmon aren't playing ball.

I'm guessing it's difficult if not impossible to get on the private beats at a reasonable price out with early or late season dates?
What do you call reasonable? There might be a bit of availability in March around £50/day, maybe a little less.
I am assuming, a normal year, 2021 will not be normal, travel might well still be a problem in March.

williegunn2

Reaction score
I'm pretty flexible on dates but anywhere between March and July at the moment. It looks like Abernethy only accept visitors from 4th July so early July might be on the cards. I wouldn't be against planning an earlier trip elsewhere as well.
Don’t confuse Abernethy with Aberlour.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
What do you call reasonable? There might be a bit of availability in March around £50/day, maybe a little less.
I am assuming, a normal year, 2021 will not be normal, travel might well still be a problem in March.
I would generally call up to £100 - £150 a day reasonable depending on the beat and time of year. Travel may well be a problem in March but I guess I will just have to live with that and take things as they come, I would be reluctant to book fishing well in advance this year unless cancelled trips are refunded or the day can be rebooked at a later date. This will vary from beat to beat.

rubberwellie

Reaction score
Don’t confuse Abernethy with Aberlour.
The Abernethy website says that from Saturday 4th July visitors tickets will be on sale from the usual outlets. Is this also the case with Aberlour?

williegunn2

Reaction score
The Abernethy website says that from Saturday 4th July visitors tickets will be on sale from the usual outlets. Is this also the case with Aberlour?

No you will get Aberlour tickets from 11th February, travel permitting.

Last edited: