Fishing Tackle Made in the UK

finreid

Reaction score
The current situation has got me thinking that going forward, where possible, I'd like to buy UK made tackle in order to support small UK businesses which will no doubt be struggling and in need of support to get back on their feet.

I'd be interested to know of UK made tackle products/manufacturers that members recommend, from rods, reels and lines to fly tying equipment and other accessories etc.

This is more about supporting these businesses rather than not buying tackle made in the far east...

Night Hawk

Reaction score
The current situation has got me thinking that going forward, where possible, I'd like to buy UK made tackle in order to support small UK businesses which will no doubt be struggling and in need of support to get back on their feet.

I'd be interested to know of UK made tackle products/manufacturers that members recommend, from rods, reels and lines to fly tying equipment and other accessories etc.

This is more about supporting these businesses rather than not buying tackle made in the far east...
Scott Mackenzie
Mackenzie Fly Fishing - The Ultimate Collection Of Fly Rods And Lines – mackenzieflyfishing

chrishconnolly

Trade Member
Reaction score
Alas there are very few true manufacturers left in the UK that produce the end product from start to finish.
A number say made in the UK but in reality it is put together in the UK the components come from abroad.

charlieH

Reaction score
For a few years now my go-to big river outfit has been based round a B&W 15' Powerlite, Marquis 3 and Carron lines - all made in England.

However, I have to say that, while the lines don't last indefinitely, the rod and reel are about as close to bulletproof as it's possible to get in the world of fly tackle and are a good few years old (they were also bought second-hand) so I don't suppose I can really claim to have supported our domestic industry all that much!

goosander

Reaction score
Bruce and Walker for me.
Bought my son when he was about 10 a Bruce and Walker Century 11ft.3 inches. 40 years later after a tremendous lot of use the top section got broke. Phoned B. and W. to see if it was possible to get a new top not that I expected to. Told to send the rod and they would see what they could do, Problem sorted. Compare that to Hardy. Asked if they could supply a new top section for there 15 ft. Swift. life guarantee. Send the end bits in a cloth bag and we will sell you a new rod cost about £1.000 for half price. Some difference between 40 and 5 years.
Bob.

Handel

Reaction score

I had a similar thought a few years ago. Which is when I realised you have to distinguish between where the seller is based and where his stuff is manufactured. See Chris' reply above. So:

I buy Gaelforce rods and lines. Scottish company, Scottish owned, but I know the lines are manufactured by Rio and I don't know where the rods are manufactured.

I have two Stewart reels manufactured in Scotland. Very long waiting list.

I have several Bloke rods. Scottish company, British owned, does Mick manufacture/have them manufactured in the U.K.? Someone will know.

I have a lot of Airflo stuff. The lines were manufactured in the U.K., no idea about the rods. Airflo was bought by a US company this year.

Barrio, Bruce and Walker and Mackenzie have all been mentioned. Plenty to go at. And think about flies as well. All mine are now tied in the UK.

firefly

Reaction score
According to his own comments, quite a few years ago already, Bloke blanks are manufactured abroad. Is David Norwich still around?

MikeCC

Reaction score
Atomsix fly rods by Steve Parkes. Beautiful hand built rods, impeccable finish and best of components/parts.

Chester

Reaction score
Bruce and Walker for me.
Bought my son when he was about 10 a Bruce and Walker Century 11ft.3 inches. 40 years later after a tremendous lot of use the top section got broke. Phoned B. and W. to see if it was possible to get a new top not that I expected to. Told to send the rod and they would see what they could do, Problem sorted. Compare that to Hardy. Asked if they could supply a new top section for there 15 ft. Swift. life guarantee. Send the end bits in a cloth bag and we will sell you a new rod cost about £1.000 for half price. Some difference between 40 and 5 years.
Bob.
Had exactly the same conversation with Hardy a few months ago. Seems their after sales service certainly isn’t what it used to be and the lifetime guarantee is worthless.

Would put me off buying any of their top end gear in the future, which is a shame as I really like a couple of the rods I still have.

salmon11

Reaction score
Ross James Custom Rods is a small uk business and a top guy.
You can choose all the components and colours for the rod of you choice including the grade of the handle cork and what is really important you can try any rod with out compromise before you buy.

D42E96E0-4886-42E5-9A7E-F4A86578C4DE.jpeg

Reaction score
Ross James Custom Rods is a small uk business and a top guy.
You can choose all the components and colours for the rod of you choice including the grade of the handle cork and what is really important you can try any rod with out compromise before you buy.

View attachment 43380
I would highly recommend RJC fly rods also. Tried a couple of his rods at the beginning of this season. Really great rods and exceptionally well finished. Ross is great to deal with and he designs and rolls his own blanks. Can't fault the service and will be purchasing a couple of rods soon.

Conehead

dave_n

Reaction score
Interesting thread....I'm of the thinking that I'd like to not buy anything from China, ever again.
However, is this possible given that it appears almost all blanks come from Chinese factories?

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I would highly recommend RJC fly rods also. Tried a couple of his rods at the beginning of this season. Really great rods and exceptionally well finished. Ross is great to deal with and he designs and rolls his own blanks. Can't fault the service and will be purchasing a couple of rods soon.

Conehead
Me too another huge vote for Ross at RJC his rods are beautiful and he rolls his own blanks and has put a lot of time and effort into designing and testing his rods to get the right weights etc. He is also a top bloke and will bend over backwards to help you out.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
Interesting thread....I'm of the thinking that I'd like to not buy anything from China, ever again.
However, is this possible given that it appears almost all blanks come from Chinese factories?
I may be wrong here but these manufacturers make some or all of their stuff in the US:

Sage
Scott
G Loomis
St Croix

CTS blanks are NZ manufactured

Not sure about CND, but there’s a fair few in Korea and Japan too.

fishpond

Reaction score
Bloke blanks are rolled in the far east and very good but think Mick makes up the rods here. Hardy still make the more expensive rods here i think. David Norwich has unfortunately retired as far as i know.

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

duncan

Reaction score
As far as I know David has retired, he was selling components for a while but last time I looked I couldn’t find his online shop.
Brilliant rods made on blanks designed and rolled by David.