Fishing Postponed for April,

nickolas

Reaction score
Just been informed that my fishing on one of the Tweed beats has cancelled for April, the estate office has been kind and offered the reservation will be kept for me next year. I hope that all the estates will follow suit or refund the dosh. Good on the Hirsel.

Neil W

Reaction score
Hopefully there will be a pragmatic approach by everybody as things get tougher. I am concerned about a trip beginning of May and also end of June to Norway. Luckily countries across Europe are in lockdown so I think there will be sympathy with regard to bookings.
That said I am concerned what the loss of revenue will do to fisheries, travel companies and the tackle trade. We may find we actually never had it so good and will have a lot more to complain about in future which will please some people on here.

Johnnieboy

Reaction score
aye they've cancelled until the end of april…..and I was fishing the 30th-2nd may:censored:

Just been informed that my fishing on one of the Tweed beats has cancelled for April, the estate office has been kind and offered the reservation will be kept for me next year. I hope that all the estates will follow suit or refund the dosh. Good on the Hirsel.

Chicharito

Reaction score
Which beat?
I am sure my Tweed fishing will be unaffected, ghillie or no ghillie.

Piker20

Reaction score
Beats would be better to be busy to stop poaching when the shops run out

Neil W

Reaction score
Judging by the experiences we are seeing in other European countries once lock down happens there will be no fishing

Chicharito

Reaction score
If the river drops, I will be fishing next week. The ghillie will be there but I am happy to fish alone as I did plenty of times last season and catch.
Sure it's nice to have the ghillie there to advise you, but as a syndicate rod I feel I can confidently fish the beat on my own.
I can't see why any beats feel the need to close the fishing because of coronavirus, unless the beat is mainly fished by boat. You just need to maintain a safe distance from each other. Being crammed together like sardines in a fishing hut is a definite no!

flytay

Reaction score
I have a number of days booked on the Tweed and the Tay in the coming months and have been informed that the beats are remaining open. I'm lucky that I have a house in the area and therefore largely unaffected by any restrictions on travel and hotels that will prevent visiting anglers from fishing.

Reaction score
That's rather decent of your estate Nikolas.
I wonder if refunds/postponements are dependant on whether an estate closes the fishing themselves or stays open, leaving the choice (or not) to the guest?

I've been told that one problem for visiting anglers will be if hotels and guest houses close. Don't suppose many want to take a tent with them for the week!

One fishing hotel I know is staying open (to date), offering to take food and drink to guests' rooms so they don't need to congregate in the dining room or bar. Seems workable so long as the staff are healthy.

Neil W

Reaction score
I have spent the day discussing with my teams who work for me in countries in lock down in Europe. Lockdown means lock down and if you are caught out with no good reason (fishing is not a good reason) then you are fined. In Spain it’s €1000. It’s being enforced as in some places the situation is terrible and people are very scared and the authorities do not want Northern Italy or the situation currently in Madrid to be replicated else where.
I think we will have to get our heads around this ASAP.

I have a number of days booked on the Tweed and the Tay in the coming months and have been informed that the beats are remaining open. I'm lucky that I have a house in the area and therefore largely unaffected by any restrictions on travel and hotels that will prevent visiting anglers from fishing.

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
If the river drops, I will be fishing next week. The ghillie will be there but I am happy to fish alone as I did plenty of times last season and catch.
Sure it's nice to have the ghillie there to advise you, but as a syndicate rod I feel I can confidently fish the beat on my own.
I can't see why any beats feel the need to close the fishing because of coronavirus, unless the beat is mainly fished by boat. You just need to maintain a safe distance from each other. Being crammed together like sardines in a fishing hut is a definite no!
I’m with you there. Fill the car up,drive, fish the morning, have a flask of tea, don’t talk to anyone, fish for the day, eat half my pack lunch, drink 2 litres of water. Still don’t talk to anyone, fish the evening, go home. Add in a fish or two and that’s pretty much my ideal day there. :D

Clearly the estates have got to do what they feel is right, but I hope my beats think about what practical impact (if any) closing will have on reducing human contact. Mainly because I am totally selfish and really want to go fishing.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
A crowd of us (some on here) are due up to Tulchan B and C in 2 weeks time, some for the week and the others for a couple of days. I've started wondering just what's going to happen. Hotels may close but fishing stays open. Doable, but a hell of a drive each day.

Will just have to see what pans out I guess.

Loxie

Reaction score
I really cannot see how fishing can be anything other than good thing. We are encouraged to go cycling, play football in the park, go for a drive with the family while social distancing. There seems no reason not to drive to your venue and fish. I will unless I'm told it is actually illegal. Then I will walk and fish until I'm told that is illegal. Then I will get very drunk!!

I've got several weeks fishing booked in Scotland this year and am wondering how that's going to go. I'm seriously considering renting a camper van, or modifying my car. A roof rack with 100 litres of diesel lashed on. Perhaps I'm going mad!!

Johnnieboy

Reaction score
Im the same, starting with the Naver from Monday, still waiting on news from the estate, as far as I’m concerned I’m still fishing,I’ll keep you posted on how that pans out🙏🏻

riffled hitch

Reaction score
I get the feeling it's not all about staying in hotels or guests houses, but more about people travelling around the country in general and spreading the virus. That is the main reason behind stopping everything, if the Spanish approach is adopted then you may well find it difficult to fish the local stream 10 minutes down the road ! And having had a few interesting phone calls today the travel restrictions we have been dreading may well come in to place sooner than we think

Loxie

Reaction score
I get the feeling it's not all about staying in hotels or guests houses, but more about people travelling around the country in general and spreading the virus. That is the main reason behind stopping everything, if the Spanish approach is adopted then you may well find it difficult to fish the local stream 10 minutes down the road ! And having had a few interesting phone calls today the travel restrictions we have been dreading may well come in to place sooner than we think
I've no doubt you are right but I don't think it will help at all.

riffled hitch

Reaction score
I've no doubt you are right but I don't think it will help at all.
I also suspect a large proportion of elderly anglers may be very wary of travelling while the spread of this has not been stopped,
Imagine the scenario, your in your mid to late 70s , your drive for anything up to 12 hours stopping for fuel and toilet stops, then when you do arrive at your venue and while fishing a 30 year old that is keen as mustard and fit as a fiddle with little care or any idea he is carrying covid 19 because his body is fit enough to fight it off and show little or no sign. A week later the frail 70+ is on a ventilator fighting for his life,

Beats, hotels, guest house can do all they can to stay safe and clean, but in all honesty is that enough

Wee Double

Reaction score
it's a shame the virus is affecting the forum, it was a place to escape from it over the last few weeks.

Hope it doesn't spoil everyones' fishing. As said, the fresh air should be good for us, and with social distancing the one cast one step rule shouldn't be a problem :D

WD

Loxie

Reaction score
I also suspect a large proportion of elderly anglers may be very wary of travelling while the spread of this has not been stopped,
Imagine the scenario, your in your mid to late 70s , your drive for anything up to 12 hours stopping for fuel and toilet stops, then when you do arrive at your venue and while fishing a 30 year old that is keen as mustard and fit as a fiddle with little care or any idea he is carrying covid 19 because his body is fit enough to fight it off and show little or no sign. A week later the frail 70+ is on a ventilator fighting for his life,

Beats, hotels, guest house can do all they can to stay safe and clean, but in all honesty is that enough
To use your analogy if the 30 year old drives to the river, fishes, then drives home then it is very hard to see how he could infect anyone, even if he were to want to go fishing while infected. If the current guidelines were to be applied to your scenario the older gent (OG) would stay at home where he is safe and sound. The keen youth (KY) would stay at home if he or his household showed any symptoms. If KY was not showing symptoms he's fine to go to the supermarket to buy food. I really cannot see how that is safer than if he goes fishing. There is no inherent risk in fishing. If OG risks breaking isolation that is a different matter, but one of his own making.

Now the problem is if KY stays away from home and the only way I can see around it is if he lives entirely on his own and has no close contact with others. That is not impossible.

Sadly it's all irrelevant as the government will act without due regard to the needs of the salmon addict.

riffled hitch

Reaction score
Just short of 500 deaths today in Italy, I don't think a handful of salmon addicts will have much of a say if bumbling Boris and his cohort of clowns decide to go for more radical approach.

Rent a house in your favourite county for fishing, and move a.s.a.p, I suspect there may well be no shortage of available rods over the coming months.

My point regarding spread of the "19" is one careless person travelling the country who has the impression they are clear but in fact are not could inadvertently pass it to someone who may struggle to cope.

Selfishness is our countrys biggest problem right now, a salmon against someones life, I know what my decision will be. Then again. I do have a handful of productive highland rivers not a huge distance from me so travelling is not a worry for me.

Last edited:

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
it's a shame the virus is affecting the forum, it was a place to escape from it over the last few weeks.

Hope it doesn't spoil everyones' fishing. As said, the fresh air should be good for us, and with social distancing the one cast one step rule shouldn't be a problem :D

WD
The forum’s riddled I’m afraid.

There could be an upside to the social distancing bit though...

“I would give you a tip Willie, but then you’d have to touch this envelope I’ve just licked and these hands I’ve just picked my nose with. I’ll save it till next year then, bye bye and thanks for the fish.”