Fishing off the Menu, not so f.e.b's and amblers

Coneheads

Reaction score
With fishing and shooting off the menu at present with this poxy Chinese virus, I haven't heard a shot gun fire off for 10days or more ? f.e.b's and rabbits etc are safe as houses ?
My question to forum members on here have you every witnessed a goosander or cormorant being attacked/taken by a predator when fishing or walking by the river? (excluding us) raptor,fox ,stoat, otter etc ? I have seen ducks attacked and taken by otters and stalked by foxes, as they easy prey ,but not f.e.b's more so goosanders as they easy spooked in some areas,

I have read an angling club members out fishing on Facebook, people are heading to the riversides having barbecues,and ambling about ,also a couple picnicking and having catapult target practice at their empty cans by the river. Total ***** all of them !

Last edited by a moderator:

Handel

Reaction score
With fishing and shooting off the menu at present with this poxy Chinese virus, I haven't heard a shot gun fire off for 10days or more ? f.e.b's and rabbits etc are safe as houses ?
My question to forum members on here have you every witnessed a goosander or cormorant being attacked/taken by a predator when fishing or walking by the river? (excluding us) raptor,fox ,stoat, otter etc ? I have seen ducks attacked and taken by otters and stalked by foxes, as they easy prey ,but not f.e.b's more so goosanders as they easy spooked in some areas,

I have read an angling club members out fishing on Facebook, people are heading to the riversides having barbecues,and ambling about ,also a couple picnicking and having catapult target practice at their empty cans by the river. Total ***** all of them !
A couple of years ago over several nights seatrout fishing I watched an otter work its way through a family of goosander chicks. It didn't touch the parents though.

Tyke

Reaction score
Otters are going up in my estimation.

We need some good news in these times......

Regards Tyke.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Otters are going up in my estimation.

We need some good news in these times......

Regards Tyke.
Not in my pals book. He runs a trout fishery and gets visited frequently by an otter. He wouldn’t mind so much if it took the odd trout and took off with it but it whips out his triploids and only eats the head and leaves the rest a few at a time.
I love seeing otters when I’m out beautiful animals well not in the pool I’m fishing right enough. See one of them in Your pool you pack a up and move on.

Handel

Reaction score
A proper otter population including a big dog otter will see off mink. When seatrout fishing I am not bothered if there is an otter in the pool, it is seals that really clear a pool. If there are eels or lamprey about otters leave the seatrout alone.

westie4566

Reaction score
I know of one stalwart of our angling community who's still out every day, using his dug walking time, to scare feb's off a club water.

Obvs no names, locations etc, but bloody good on him.:thumb:

Perhaps we should all be doing the same- if we have the excuse of dugs to walk???

Horsbrugh

Reaction score

I have unfortunately not witnessed it myself but have a friend who has seen a goshawk kill two cormorants one day. The goshawk was being flown by falconers at the time. They were flying the hawks at ducks when the cormorants made the mistake of trying to outfly the gos and became an unintentional casualty.

heather point

Reaction score
My mate had a white goshawk that liked to take out buzzards.
It liked rabbits too.
DSC_1352M.jpg

Last edited:

ArchieL

Reaction score
One of the Teith beats i fish used to have quite a few mink running around but over the years the numbers have reduced at the same time the numbers of FEB's have rocketed. 2 years ago i even noticed a mink trap placed in a little stream with labels saying to leave alone etc. Sometimes i think we would have been better with the mink to control the FEB's (Selfish i know) . This same beat has been visited by Otters which i have only seen twice in 14 years but i have seen their prints and i know they like eels and lampreys but the system is not full of these eels like before so i think they will have no choice but to focus on the game species.

goosander

Reaction score
Mink are the last thing you want on a river. They kill everything. Mallard were wiped-out out in a certain place I go to. Not in the winter but when the drakes were moulting. They may kill off goosanders but the water hens/voles/rabbits and anything else near the river have had it.
Bob.

scagit

Reaction score
I was watching a mate fishing the Bridge Pool at Tweedswood when there was a huge splash right in front of him, a few seconds later a bedraggled Goosander pop up to the surface and struggled across the river. My mate turned around in shock asking what happened.It had happen that fast I had not seen what it was. but the Gillie Kevin sat behind me had, it was Peregrine Falcon that had bomb it as it flew down river under the Bridge where the Falcons had a nest.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A few years ago I was talking to a Spey gillie about the mink eradication scheme being operated in his area. He didn't mind helping out and running a few traps but he said it did gall him that the scheme's focus seemed to be to protect the water voles and had no interest in the salmon parr.

He was talking to one of the eradication team one day who asked how he was doing with the traps.
"Not too bad," he said, "About 9 recently."
"That's great! What are you using for bait?"
"Water voles."

:D

ArchieL

Reaction score
Mink are the last thing you want on a river. They kill everything. Mallard were wiped-out out in a certain place I go to. Not in the winter but when the drakes were moulting. They may kill off goosanders but the water hens/voles/rabbits and anything else near the river have had it.
Bob.
Understood goosander hence the (Selfish i know) :)

Jbspring

Reaction score
A mink explosion wouldn't go amiss 🤞
Mink are vermin, but I always believe that the otters keep the mink under control and the mink do somewhat keep the piscivarious birds at bay. Although i may be wrong.. mind you an exploding mink would be a new one! :)

Jb

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Mink are vermin, but I always believe that the otters keep the mink under control and the mink do somewhat keep the piscivarious birds at bay. Although i may be wrong.. mind you an exploding mink would be a new one! :)

Jb
I’ve got an exploding mink story.
Years ago some jakey neds from rough part of town broke into their local paper shop and stole a box of lighter gas bottles and proceeded to sniff the gas in one of their rooms. All high as kites and full of gas one of them decided it was a great idea to light a fag. :lol:
Several exploding minks fell out the window and they were all shrink wrapped in their best shell suits :lol:
I remember reading the story and then hearing about it. Had to get their shell suits surgically removed :lol:

Jbspring

Reaction score
I’ve got an exploding mink story.
Years ago some jakey neds from rough part of town broke into their local paper shop and stole a box of lighter gas bottles and proceeded to sniff the gas in one of their rooms. All high as kites and full of gas one of them decided it was a great idea to light a fag. :lol:
Several exploding minks fell out the window and they were all shrink wrapped in their best shell suits :lol:
I remember reading the story and then hearing about it. Had to get their shell suits surgically removed :lol:
:lol: How long did it take them to give up smoking after that :lol: