Fishing holiday in Scotland this August, any suggestions?

Finglas

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

for the past few years I have posted on here asking for advice about fishing holiday destinations. I have had absolutely excellent advice and it has really helped both me and my dad over the years. Obviously circumstances are a little more challenging this year but we are looking at maybe booking something now that things seem to be getting back on track......a little optimistic perhaps!

We have been considering going back to islay (we went fishing there in 2016) for some sea trout fishing in the sea and some fishing on the river Lagan if the water levels were right. However, we also quite fancy a trip up north salmon fishing (or south, I'm thinking Tweed maybe?) but I am wondering if anyone could give some suggestions on where might be good around late August. We would be looking for accommodation too.

Any help would be fantastic and thank you,

Jamie

Reaction score
As Chicharito rightly suggests, bottom Tweed is normally a good bet. I fish a syndicate rod on Ladykirk and had 5 salmon and grilse there yesterday on 1’6” of peaty water with plenty of fish showing. Funnily enough, I was looking at Tweed bookings for August and there is some availability, although Ladykirk and Tweedhill don’t have much Horncliffe does seem to have rather more and Pedwell has some days as well. Tillmouth and Milnegraden are more expensive but would certainly be worth a cast as well. Norham village has pub (Masons Arms) and b&b accommodation (Betty’s and others). Tillmouth Park and Collingwood Hotels are nearby alternatives, as is The Coah House at Crookham. If a more upmarket self catering is your cup of tea then try Crabtree and Crabtree for some really excellent properties. The fishing, of course can be found on fishpal. The run of fish on Tweed has been generally very good this season and I think an August trip would certainly be an idea.

Finglas

Reaction score
As Chicharito rightly suggests, bottom Tweed is normally a good bet. I fish a syndicate rod on Ladykirk and had 5 salmon and grilse there yesterday on 1’6” of peaty water with plenty of fish showing. Funnily enough, I was looking at Tweed bookings for August and there is some availability, although Ladykirk and Tweedhill don’t have much Horncliffe does seem to have rather more and Pedwell has some days as well. Tillmouth and Milnegraden are more expensive but would certainly be worth a cast as well. Norham village has pub (Masons Arms) and b&b accommodation (Betty’s and others). Tillmouth Park and Collingwood Hotels are nearby alternatives, as is The Coah House at Crookham. If a more upmarket self catering is your cup of tea then try Crabtree and Crabtree for some really excellent properties. The fishing, of course can be found on fishpal. The run of fish on Tweed has been generally very good this season and I think an August trip would certainly be an idea.
Salarspeycaster, thank you for this excellent advice. That certainly gives me some great things to think about. Appreciate you taking the time.

Jamie

Reaction score
Salarspeycaster, thank you for this excellent advice. That certainly gives me some great things to think about. Appreciate you taking the time.

Jamie
It’s a pleasure. PM me if you need any more advice. I’m usually fishing or working as a Ghillie on the river every week.

Finglas

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. I remember fishing the association at grantown on spey when I was a kid. Not sure if it was "upper castle grant" but the part i fished was beside a small par 3 golf course that you had to walk through to get to the river. I remember it very fondly, lost my first (yeh unfortunately not caught haha) there but it was a lovely spot.

Jamie

auldsalmon

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

for the past few years I have posted on here asking for advice about fishing holiday destinations. I have had absolutely excellent advice and it has really helped both me and my dad over the years. Obviously circumstances are a little more challenging this year but we are looking at maybe booking something now that things seem to be getting back on track......a little optimistic perhaps!

We have been considering going back to islay (we went fishing there in 2016) for some sea trout fishing in the sea and some fishing on the river Lagan if the water levels were right. However, we also quite fancy a trip up north salmon fishing (or south, I'm thinking Tweed maybe?) but I am wondering if anyone could give some suggestions on where might be good around late August. We would be looking for accommodation too.

Any help would be fantastic and thank you,

Jamie
Hoddom :oops: :oops: :oops: