Fishing Captions/One Liners

Bruino

Reaction score
Out of season banter , please add yours
Seen this one on here, on simonjh98 avatar

“Why are you fishing with trout flies with a Gye net on your back ?”

I’ve fished for nye on 60 years and never heard this one , classic that is ,
Has anyone seen an angler fishing like this ?
Must fish the Clyde :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Out of season banter , please add yours
Seen this one on here, on simonjh98 avatar

“Why are you fishing with trout flies with a Gye net on your back ?”

I’ve fished for nye on 60 years and never heard this one , classic that is ,
Has anyone seen an angler fishing like this ?

Could be a County Donegal thing where rivers have been closed for salmon fishing but still open for trout. Trout fishing is also free on many of those rivers.

There's a right few boys fishing for 'trout' with trout patterns tied in big sizes and there really isn't a single thing that the bailiffs can do about it.

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
1EBCE153-0BCD-43A2-BD62-3AE79F6A145B.jpeg

Rrrr

Reaction score
"Have yi got the anchor oot ?" Usualy scarcasticly shouted to an angler fishing a pool far too slowly with others waiting.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

ozzyian

Reaction score
On a local river you used to be able to fish all of it for trout with 3 or 4 designated salmon beats. I once saw a bloke in a trout area carrying his rod with a size 10 cascade looped on the bottom ring. I was with the bailiff at the time and heard this

you're fishing for salmon

no I'm not

yes you are, thats a salmon fly on the end of your line

so what, I've got a packet of fags in my top pocket, doesn't mean I'm smoking though does it?

Rrrr

Reaction score
Amble twang that
Aye, you are correct. Usualy at the white posts early season when theres a new angler or someone up from the tyne and taking their time fishing the pool. Sometimes shouted directly or just loud enough to get a giggle from the rest sitting on the bench talking shite

marty31

Reaction score
Aye, you are correct. Usualy at the white posts early season when theres a new angler or someone up from the tyne and taking their time fishing the pool. Sometimes shouted directly or just loud enough to get a giggle from the rest sitting on the bench talking shite

At one time the white posts was a closed shop😂no strangers got a look in ! The one at the bottom, walked back to the top! The line moved down to let him back in, any non locals were just kept completely out and eventually moved somewhere else 😂😂

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Un- sympathetic ghiliie's response to an angler telling him a big fish got off after a long fight - " good thing too, bl***y thing would have spawned if you played it much longer".

I caught an overhanging tree myself one day while fishing in July. While pulling and shaking the line trying to get the fly free, a pile if leaves were falling into the river.

The angler going down the pool in front of me, a local man who's renowned for his wit and smart/sarcastic remarks, called out, "if you put any more leaves in that river, the fish will think it's Autumn and start spawning!“.

The same guy was waiting to net a fish for another angler one day. The fish hadn't been on that long when the guy asked the angler, "Would you be conservationally minded?“. The angler looked at him puzzled, "what do you mean", asked the angler. "Aww it's just the way yer playin' that fish, it looks like ye want it te spawn before ye land it.".

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Un- sympathetic ghiliie's response to an angler telling him a big fish got off after a long fight - " good thing too, bl***y thing would have spawned if you played it much longer".
I caught an overhanging tree myself one day while fishing in July. While pulling and shaking the line trying to get the fly free, a pile if leaves were falling into the river.

The angler going down the pool in front of me, a local man who's renowned for his wit and smart/sarcastic remarks, called out, "if you put any more leaves in that river, the fish will think it's Autumn and start spawning!“.

The same guy was waiting to net a fish for another angler one day. The fish hadn't been on that long when the guy asked the angler, "Would you be conservationally minded?“. The angler looked at him puzzled, "what do you mean", asked the angler. "Aww it's just the way yer playin' that fish, it looks like ye want it te spawn before ye land it.".
A similar ghillies one

“he played the fish that long, by the time he landed it, it was a kelt”

Salad Dodger

Reaction score
Not so much a one liner, but a ghillies tale.

An angler, spinning with a Rapala, that was fully loaded with 3 trebles, fluffs his cast and “WHACK” the Rapala hits him right on the top of head.

The ghillie has a look and the angler is well and truly hooked in the scalp and the only option is to drive to the nearest A&E.

Keen to get back on the river, the angler drives as fast as he can and in his haste, he drives too fast over a speed bump, which bounces him up inside the car.

This results in the other trebles, firmly hooked into the roof lining of his car!!!

He now has to drive the remainder of the way, stretching himself, as the hooks are now agonisingly tugging his scalp!!!

He then has to sit out outside A&E beeping his horn for attention and the hospital staff have to cut out his roof lining to get him inside. 🤣🤣🤣

Always wear a hat!!!

Last edited: