Fishing 28th at earliest

Grassy_Knollington

Reaction score
So 5 miles is not enshrined in law but will be if folk don’t toe the line.

Remarkably similar to the much maligned wider UK approach. Damn those libertarians in the SNP, I expected summary roadside trials and enforcement by the Praetorian Guard...:LOL:

For those thinking of travelling to Scotland, apart from ‘don’t’. This is what I can tell from the route map and the speech:

1. Nobody is supposed to be travelling outside local areas until Phase 3.

2. Movement between phases is governed by a series of criteria, which include a ‘sustained’ fall in case numbers, ICU admissions and deaths. The framework strongly suggests that ‘sustained’ = over a 3 week period. Meaning at least 6 weeks before travelling beyond the local area or from England to anywhere north of Tweed / Border Esk.

3. The review cycle is listed as once every 21 days, so that also suggests no change for 3 weeks and no phase 3 until July at the earliest.

Happy to be corrected if I’ve interpreted the information incorrectly.

Mac78

Reaction score
Can't wait to see next weeks catch reports. People choosing to fish well in excess of 5miles wont be keen in getting their photos taken or names published in catch reports.
Lots of pixelated faces of people holding fish!

glenelg100

Reaction score
So 5 miles is not enshrined in law but will be if folk don’t toe the line.

Remarkably similar to the much maligned wider UK approach. Damn those libertarians in the SNP, I expected summary roadside trials and enforcement by the Praetorian Guard...:LOL:

For those thinking of travelling to Scotland, apart from ‘don’t’. This is what I can tell from the route map and the speech:

1. Nobody is supposed to be travelling outside local areas until Phase 3.

2. Movement between phases is governed by a series of criteria, which include a ‘sustained’ fall in case numbers, ICU admissions and deaths. The framework strongly suggests that ‘sustained’ = over a 3 week period. Meaning at least 6 weeks before travelling beyond the local area or from England to anywhere north of Tweed / Border Esk.

3. The review cycle is listed as once every 21 days, so that also suggests no change for 3 weeks and no phase 3 until July at the earliest.

Happy to be corrected if I’ve interpreted the information incorrectly.
That’s what I was thinking also, but if the figures go in the right direction possibly a wee bit quicker

K MacC

Reaction score
What is the 5 mile stay local social distancing guidance. For me it means fishing with no personal contact less than 2m, I may be aloud to travel around 5 miles to fish. My local loch is 8 miles, it's just over the 5 but that's not ripping the P---.
The Tay is 60 miles the Earn is 50 miles away for me this would be ripping it and therefore I will unfortunately have to stay away till further notice. We all have to take responsibility for ourselves and of others, no one want's to return to full lockdown please be aware and respectful of others.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
The FM did also say that that the 5 mile rule was put in place to stop beauty spots being over run with 100s of people. Which couldn’t be further from the case with fishing. She also said it wouldn’t be enforced. We’ve got a much higher chance of getting shafted from all the people away to flood our beaches and scenic spots or having mass parties and bbqs than a couple of fishermen turning up to the river without contacting anyone else and being god forbid outside the local area.

ibm59

Reaction score
Largs and Balloch will be bouncin’ this weekend . Guaranteed
Contrary to rumour , Largs remains shut.
There was talk of opening council owned car parks tomorrow, but it has just been confirmed that that is not the case.
Ye canny buy a pokey hat fir love nor money , and..........

All public toilets remain closed. 👍

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
Apparently down south having the public toilets shut is a bit of a problem. One of the many complaints at seaside resorts is having ejits crapping in the bottom of your garden !

ArchieL

Reaction score
K
What is the 5 mile stay local social distancing guidance. For me it means fishing with no personal contact less than 2m, I may be aloud to travel around 5 miles to fish. My local loch is 8 miles, it's just over the 5 but that's not ripping the P---.
The Tay is 60 miles the Earn is 50 miles away for me this would be ripping it and therefore I will unfortunately have to stay away till further notice. We all have to take responsibility for ourselves and of others, no one want's to return to full lockdown please be aware and respectful of others.
KmacC

Get yourself up to your loch and get fishing , 8 miles is within your local area IMO and also you are not heading to a local beauty spot or tourist hot spot . You are making a decision and your own personnel risk assesment and deciding the extra 3 miles will place knowone at risk so tight lines. I like you will refrain from fishing the Tay or Earn as they are the 40-50 miles away and travelling this far is wrong. Tight lines.

Westcountry

Reaction score
Apparently down south having the public toilets shut is a bit of a problem. One of the many complaints at seaside resorts is having ejits crapping in the bottom of your garden !
What are they worried about, it's like that all the time around the NC500.
The roadside laybys from Applecross to Thurso haven't been as clean for years thanks to the lock down.

ArchieL

Reaction score
The FM did also say that that the 5 mile rule was put in place to stop beauty spots being over run with 100s of people. Which couldn’t be further from the case with fishing. She also said it wouldn’t be enforced. We’ve got a much higher chance of getting shafted from all the people away to flood our beaches and scenic spots or having mass parties and bbqs than a couple of fishermen turning up to the river without contacting anyone else and being god forbid outside the local area.
100% spot on post. I think the police will have more to worry about than having to park their car up then walk along a riverbank for 10 or 20 minutes then ask a salmon angler to come out the water so they can talk to him and ask him if he has travelled more than the 5 miles. Tourist hot spots will be the issue and especially beaches and sea side towns.

Mac78

Reaction score
100% spot on post. I think the police will have more to worry about than having to park their car up then walk along a riverbank for 10 or 20 minutes then ask a salmon angler to come out the water so they can talk to him and ask him if he has travelled more than the 5 miles. Tourist hot spots will be the issue and especially beaches and sea side towns.
They don't have to patrol the rivers. Local plod have been checking vehicle registrations to see where vehicles are registered. They've turned around plenty of day trippers from the central belt and beyond here in Highland Perthshire.

glenelg100

Reaction score
I’m sure if the Perthshire plod, look at any of the cars on the Tay beats Im sure the majority of them will not be local registrations, but tight lines to them all.

midgydug

Reaction score
I stay in a seaside town and our local beach car parks have been full for the last 3 weekends and its not with
locals. I know we don't have the manpower to police these sights but most of them have a road down to
the car park so the council could of put a chain or got a local farmer to leave a trailer over the road.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
I stay in a seaside town and our local beach car parks have been full for the last 3 weekends and its not with
locals. I know we don't have the manpower to police these sights but most of them have a road down to
the car park so the council could of put a chain or got a local farmer to leave a trailer over the road.
I also stay in a sea side town. I live in Broughty Ferry and the beach is a long beautiful sandy beach and it’s always busy with everybody local and from all the schemes in Dundee. I can just imagine this weekend and what it’s going to smell like if there’s no public toilets open.

westie4566

Reaction score
Sadly, from what I witnessed whilst walking the dogs up the Don this evening, a second wave is only 7-14 days away. Crowds of 'yoofs' out with their cases of beer partying together. If they are all from the same family then Mother must have been the village bike for a fairly intense period around 18-20 years ago, to the extent that she must have had multiple sets of quadruplets by different fathers in rapid succession. If plod are interested, then these numbnuts need sent home. NOT anglers travelling a wee bit further than recommended to fish alone.

I'm looking forward to a wee cast or two tomorrow, waters really low so will have to pick my spots carefully. Ach, it will just be good to wet a line again.

Neil W

Reaction score
I hope it all works out and you all get fishing tomorrow. 5 miles is such a short distance and the crowds at beaches and the groups of teenagers I see are far more of a risk than us fishermen. Fingers crossed it all works out and we can all enjoy fishing in Scotland. I still have 2 trips pencilled in September and October 🤞

RB34

Reaction score
They don't have to patrol the rivers. Local plod have been checking vehicle registrations to see where vehicles are registered. They've turned around plenty of day trippers from the central belt and beyond here in Highland Perthshire.
Perhaps in lockdown when you couldn’t go anywhere police may have stopped you.

You can now travel much further than 5 miles to visit parents for example and the chief of police said in same daily update we ain’t going to be stopping any cars as it’s too heavy handed.

On the 5 miles for exercise/activities thing she also quite clearly said ‘use your judgement’
It’s to stop everyone travelling to beauty spots and beaches, not to stop someone driving 40 mins to somewhere quiet to go fishing

She’s said ‘use your judgement’ from now on.
Travelling somewhere quiet to fish ain’t cause anyone any issues , within reason obviously travelling wise.

Cheers

midgydug

Reaction score
The South Korean president feared the west would have the highest infection / death rate simply
because we are not disciplined enough. How right he is. It is a crying shame and an embarrassment
that this small Island has the statistics that we do.
The urge to go to a beauty spot should be strongly discouraged and strictly prohibited.
You can exercise by walking out your front door, everybody has one.
And if you feel you must get to a beauty spot, well boo hoo, stay local do as your told.
Building sites with 10 or more people are not allowed to reopen but unlimited amounts of people
are allowed now to go to parks, beaches etc as long as you don't need the toilet.
I think an angler driving whatever distance to fish himself on a river / loch is one of the least threat to spreading the virus.
Aslong as you can go from A to B and back to A without contact with anything or anyone.
I think "using your own judement " is putting the ball in your court, giving the inch to the people that's wanting to take a mile.
It looks like now its down to the individual to follow which rules they choose