Fishing 28th at earliest

Fergie

Reaction score
On the TV news this morning there was over 39000 people have died in England and Wales with covid19 on their death certificate Scotland has another 3000 + deaths. So in mainland UK there has been over 42000 deaths reported and some of you guys are criticizing the Scottish government for not letting you jump in your car and go fishing! Bloody hell shame on you it's you hobby not life or death if you are really concerned if you had a days fishing booked contact the ghillie / keeper and send him the money you would have spent so he has some money in his pocket.
Some of you will be saying it's safer to go fishing than going to the supermarket. The supermarket is for esencial food not a past time!
There's no risk going to the river we self isolate. The risk is the non essential travel!
Once you open up non essential travel all the idiots will jump in there cars and risk spreading the virus to our rural population where most of our fishing is.
For the health of our population I feel that a full contact and trace system must be set up, the viral infectious rate must be under control with fewer deaths occurring.
Stay safe everyone.
The vast majority of the much discussed R number is made up of cases within care homes (let’s move on from that), R number in the wider community is much lower and the chances of catching the virus outdoors is negligible. As for contact trace this IMO is why we are still in lockdown here due to the incompetence in not having it up and running yet.

glenelg100

Reaction score
I would imagine that there will be a sting in the tail on the 28th. As for hotels and b&b this will be a long way off. What she wont do is make a free for all and allow unrestricted travel. Keeping the restrictions will give her 10 days to look at what the impact is on English infection rates. She is many things but being stupid is not one of them!
If the infection rates do rise a bit , it won’t be fishing or golf ,it’s more likely to be the masses returning to public transport

midgydug

Reaction score
Well said K MacC. I'm like all the forum members on here very keen on my fishing, I have already spent a
bit money this year on season tickets and haven't wet a line, but at the end of the day its just fishing.
I have lost faith in the country despite what anybody thinks of politicians they are trying to do whats best
not just for the country but peoples lives. They are all sailing uncharted waters and can only tell us what the experts are telling them.
A percentage of our population doesn't know what NO and CAN'T
means, and if you asked any frontline NHS worker if its a good idea to relax rules and let people drive all over the country
I think they would advise against it.

There was a thread lately that some guy said I'm going fishing and I don't care what anyone thinks, and another
that a guy had been fishing all through lockdown. In my mind that's very selfish. This virus feeds on humans with a vast spectrum
of symptoms. some people show no symptoms but can spread it unknowingly.
In WW2 we lost 60,000 civilians in 6 years, we have lost two thirds of that in 2 months !!!
Fishing is probably one of the most socially distant leisure activity you could do, I fish some days on the river
and don't see a soul . We will hopefully all get fishing again. So just bide yir time as they say and the fish will
all still be there.

Prawnfisher

Reaction score
This isn't about angling, it's about Scot Gov trying to make themselves 'look' clever.

Despite England. Wales and N Ireland deciding that fishing is safe now (not that it ever wasn't), nah, they just have to be different.

The SNP hates anything to do with field sports. and boy are they showing that now. They do seem to have forgotten how many anglers (of all flavours) there are in Scotland and I guess that may come back to bite them in the bahookie at the ballot box.

I concur re travelling etc, but at least get opened up at a local level now!
Good to get that off your chest eh ?
You should remember that all 4 parts of the "precious Union" were operating the same policy regarding dealing with this virus and lockdown requirements. One country decided to deviate from that for its own purposes without prior reference to the others by leaking it to the Sunday papers. That wasn't Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales, That was England presided over by a part-time PM (seen him recently anyone ?). Now the other three have carefully and responsibly planned to change their individual approach suiting their own situations regarding the virus and were quite right not to be bounced into anything.
I know from keeping in touch with my sister who is a "senior" in ICU in Glasgow that the situation was still too sensitive to allow for a relaxation of controls. We all regret not getting out for a day on the river or loch but it's a small price to pay compared with what my sister has been dealing with.
Meanwhile, regarding the ballot box, you are out of touch as the attached regularly updated polling chart for Scotland shows.

Attachments

Last edited:

Prawnfisher

Reaction score
On the TV news this morning there was over 39000 people have died in England and Wales with covid19 on their death certificate Scotland has another 3000 + deaths. So in mainland UK there has been over 42000 deaths reported and some of you guys are criticizing the Scottish government for not letting you jump in your car and go fishing! Bloody hell shame on you it's you hobby not life or death if you are really concerned if you had a days fishing booked contact the ghillie / keeper and send him the money you would have spent so he has some money in his pocket.
Some of you will be saying it's safer to go fishing than going to the supermarket. The supermarket is for esencial food not a past time!
There's no risk going to the river we self isolate. The risk is the non essential travel!
Once you open up non essential travel all the idiots will jump in there cars and risk spreading the virus to our rural population where most of our fishing is.
For the health of our population I feel that a full contact and trace system must be set up, the viral infectious rate must be under control with fewer deaths occurring.
Stay safe everyone.
Well said.

westie4566

Reaction score
Good to get that off your chest eh ?
You should remember that all 4 parts of the "precious Union" were operating the same policy regarding dealing with this virus and lockdown requirements. One country decided to deviate from that for its own purposes without prior reference to the others by leaking it to the Sunday papers. That wasn't Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales, That was England presided over by a part-time PM (seen him recently anyone ?). Now the other three have carefully and responsibly planned to change their individual approach suiting their own situations regarding the virus and were quite right not to be bounced into anything.
I know from keeping in touch with my sister who is a "senior" in ICU in Glasgow that the situation was still too sensitive to allow for a relaxation of controls. We all regret not getting out for a day on the river or loch but it's a small price to pay compared with what my sister has been dealing with.
Meanwhile, regarding the ballot box, you are out of touch as the attached regularly updated polling chart for Scotland shows.
Let me put this another way. I would have no issue with not fishing (and for me it's fairly moot anyway, there's no water so I'd just be scratching about low down on one river locally) were the entire nation still all in the same boat. However the powers that be in England, Wales and N Ireland have deemed it safe to fish - but not us?

Whether it's 2, 4 or 6 weeks before we're allowed to fish in Scotland materially nothing will have changed. The virus will still be out there and no vaccine or cure. That's why I believe it's just about political point scoring and anglers are an easy bunch to target.

I simply don't buy it that anglers in Scotland pose a greater risk to public health than they do in the other 3/4s of the union.

Right now I'm more interested in getting my business back up and running, or limping as the case may be, which will hopefully be the 1st of June, than going fishing, however we're all part of the UK and should be treated equally and fairly.

Fruinfisher

Reaction score
I agree . Sturgeon likes to give the impression that we’re “ no quite over the peak “, but according to the BBC website the number of corona victims in intensive care in Scottish hospitals peaked about 240 cases on 12th April and has been dropping ever since . FIVE WEEKS AGO !!!!

Prawnfisher

Reaction score
That's why I believe it's just about political point scoring and anglers are an easy bunch to target.
Based on that logic the Scottish Government is also victimising golfers as you can now play in England with 1 other person, but not yet in Scotland........when did golf become a field sport ?
Why don't you just post that for your own personal political reasons you have an issue with the Scottish Government and will find any reason to criticise it ?

midgydug

Reaction score
It shouldn't be a political debate, if the conservatives, labour etc were in power they would still be taking
advice from the same scientific/medical experts.
They are not giving a flying f@~k if we fish, shoot, ski or pick our nose they are trying to save lives and
that includes you and me.
Different regions of Spain and Italy are relaxing things at different speeds which is no different to doing it in
areas of UK.

westie4566

Reaction score
Based on that logic the Scottish Government is also victimising golfers as you can now play in England with 1 other person, but not yet in Scotland........when did golf become a field sport ?
Why don't you just post that for your own personal political reasons you have an issue with the Scottish Government and will find any reason to criticise it ?
I did consider mentioning golf - we're all aware if that restriction too - however this is a fishing forum.

At no point in my op or my reply have I made any personal comments aimed at yourself (unlike your replies), merely offered my opinion on the situation. May I politely request you do the same?

As it happens and up until v recently, I've felt that NS has handled herself rather well in her daily briefings better in many ways than BJ. So, your actually wrong in your assumption there.

May I point you in the direction of the Coronavirus thread in the lounge? You'll enjoy that.

salmo76

Reaction score
As more and more evidence comes to light , the science is telling us that there is a very remote possibility of catching the virus whilst out in the country side , in fact out in the open is the best place to be, without a doubt, if you value your health . It also seems extremely unlikely that you will catch it within 1 or 2 seconds of quickly passing someone whilst out in the country side. Touching gates etc., out in the country side, also seems to be another unlikely means of catching the virus and the slight risk involved could be easily resolved by using basic hand hygiene which is surely not beyond the wit of the Scottish public. Where I live, for the last 8 weeks, tens of thousands of cyclists , joggers ,walkers from near and far have been on all the local narrow tracks, opening gates , passing up close and yet their numbers are not decreasing as they all succumb to the virus , quite the reverse in fact. To me this is like a mass unplanned experiment which is only confirming what the science is now indicating.

I think that Wales , N. Ireland and England have got it right in easing up the lockdown and putting a bit of trust in people to safely take part in lone outdoor pursuits. This Stay at home message but go out as much as you like for exercise is becoming more and more nonsensical with each passing day imo. I also believe that the message that people from towns being allowed anywhere near the outdoor country side, even whilst taking care to avoid close contact with locals, is too risky, is being overstated and is scaremongering . Certainly , plenty of people who live in rural spots close to me have been seen overcoming their fears and shopping at the big town supermarkets. Not for them, it seems, to stay ultra safe and forage off the land for these last few months.

Last edited:

Prawnfisher

Reaction score
I did consider mentioning golf - we're all aware if that restriction too - however this is a fishing forum.

At no point in my op or my reply have I made any personal comments aimed at yourself (unlike your replies), merely offered my opinion on the situation. May I politely request you do the same?

As it happens and up until v recently, I've felt that NS has handled herself rather well in her daily briefings better in many ways than BJ. So, your actually wrong in your assumption there.

May I point you in the direction of the Coronavirus thread in the lounge? You'll enjoy that.
Your opinions on the situation
"This isn't about angling, it's about Scot Gov trying to make themselves 'look' clever."
"nah, they just have to be different."
"The SNP hates anything to do with field sports"
"I guess that may come back to bite them in the bahookie at the ballot box."

But, as you say, this is a fishing forum and you've clearly gone to great lengths to avoid turning it into a political commentary.

.......and I hope you enjoyed the polling chart.

westie4566

Reaction score
Your opinions on the situation
"This isn't about angling, it's about Scot Gov trying to make themselves 'look' clever."
"nah, they just have to be different."
"The SNP hates anything to do with field sports"
"I guess that may come back to bite them in the bahookie at the ballot box."

But, as you say, this is a fishing forum and you've clearly gone to great lengths to avoid turning it into a political commentary.

.......and I hope you enjoyed the polling chart.
Tell you what, can you post the scientific research that shows that angling (or golf for that matter:p)in Scotland is a greater threat to public health than in England, Wales or N Ireland, please?

I'd be delighted to read it and if it shows that it's more dangerous up here, then I'll be delighted to retract my op.(y)

K MacC

Reaction score
No one can argue fishing as far as a risk assessment goes is very low risk. If you can walk there great. But the vast majority of us have to jump in a car and travel this is where the risk increases what if you break down you could pass it onto an innocent person. We have all purchased permits but lifes come before fishing in my book.
Look what happened when a costa coffee shop was opened there were cars everywhere! If they open fishing in 10 days time will it be different? People are selfish twats, just got to look at the attitude of some on here.

salmo76

Reaction score
No one can argue fishing as far as a risk assessment goes is very low risk. If you can walk there great. But the vast majority of us have to jump in a car and travel this is where the risk increases what if you break down you could pass it onto an innocent person. We have all purchased permits but lifes come before fishing in my book.
Look what happened when a costa coffee shop was opened there were cars everywhere! If they open fishing in 10 days time will it be different? People are selfish twats, just got to look at the attitude of some on here.
I think the : what if you breakdown argument is being overplayed to justify a long extended lockdown. Really ! is it beyond the wit of people to find a way of keeping 6 feet away from breakdown services or for them to use some means of sanitising their hands or masking up ? What about all the millions of cars presently on the roads , have they really been causing a covid nightmare ? Heard plenty about care home nightmares , cruise ship nightmares , business meeting nightmares but so far none about the : car breakdown causes mass pandemic outbreak. Also, thousands of cyclists have been on tracks around here , mainly from the Glasgow area, 20 miles plus away, do they never breakdown, especially considering some haven`t been on the road for likely 20 years ? Why are cyclists allowed out at all if the likelihood of breakdown or accident is the main criteria for banning things ? I reckon, if you looked at national stats, cyclists are more likely to be involved in accidents than anglers or golfers. I reckon in 10 days time this virus will still be around , so indeed , what will be different , maybe permanent lockdown is required until it no longer exists ? or perhaps we need to overcome our fears and take a balanced approach to risk and continue to live our lives using common sense and consideration for others.

Last edited:

westie4566

Reaction score
I think the : what if you breakdown argument is being overplayed to justify a long extended lockdown. Really ! is it beyond the wit of people to find a way of keeping 6 feet away from breakdown services or for them to use some means of sanitising their hands or masking up ? What about all the millions of cars presently on the roads , have they really been causing a covid nightmare ? Heard plenty about care home nightmares , cruise ship nightmares , business meeting nightmares but so far none about the : car breakdown causes mass pandemic outbreak. Also, thousands of cyclists have been on tracks around here , mainly from the Glasgow area, 20 miles plus away, do they never breakdown, especially considering some haven`t been on the road for likely 20 years ? Why are cyclists allowed out at all if the likelihood of breakdown or accident is the main criteria for banning things ? I reckon, if you looked at national stats, cyclists are more likely to be involved in accidents than anglers or golfers. I reckon in 10 days time this virus will still be around , so indeed , what will be different , maybe permanent lockdown is required until it no longer exists ? or perhaps we need to overcome our fears and take a balanced approach to risk and continue to live our lives using common sense and consideration for others.
You're spot on there Salmo. Right now any of us on here run a 0.006% of dying from Covid19. (Rough count of UK deaths from c19 versus UK population)

It's actually rather simple to quantify risk by running the numbers and taking out seasonal averages. We as anglers really are a very , very low risk group.

However, we do have the fear mongers who wouldn't know what a risk assessment was if it slapped them on the face!

K MacC. How about learning risk assessment, or even just taking the time to to do the sums around UK population versus Covid 19 deaths before running out half baked ideas you've learned off the msm, eh? I agree it's easy to be distracted by the media, however they only exist to fulfil themselves...grist to the the mill.so to speak.

Since we went all H & S mad, a great deal of my time is spent doing (unnecessary) risk assessment. I've spent the last week or so doing risk assessment to allow me back into business.

I have a clear path, sent out to customers in video form along with full ppe etc.. I run a franchised business so must wait for the green light form my franchisor. Currently that's June 1st.

Woodbank

Reaction score
I would imagine that there will be a sting in the tail on the 28th. As for hotels and b&b this will be a long way off. What she wont do is make a free for all and allow unrestricted travel. Keeping the restrictions will give her 10 days to look at what the impact is on English infection rates. She is many things but being stupid is not one of them!

midgydug

Reaction score
Some fair points there especially your last sentence but unfortunately common sense isn't that common

K MacC

Reaction score
You're spot on there Salmo. Right now any of us on here run a 0.006% of dying from Covid19. (Rough count of UK deaths from c19 versus UK population)

It's actually rather simple to quantify risk by running the numbers and taking out seasonal averages. We as anglers really are a very , very low risk group.

However, we do have the fear mongers who wouldn't know what a risk assessment was if it slapped them on the face!

K MacC. How about learning risk assessment, or even just taking the time to to do the sums around UK population versus Covid 19 deaths before running out half baked ideas you've learned off the msm, eh? I agree it's easy to be distracted by the media, however they only exist to fulfil themselves...grist to the the mill.so to speak.

Since we went all H & S mad, a great deal of my time is spent doing (unnecessary) risk assessment. I've spent the last week or so doing risk assessment to allow me back into business.

I have a clear path, sent out to customers in video form along with full ppe etc.. I run a franchised business so must wait for the green light form my franchisor. Currently that's June 1st.
Westie if as you say you have done risk assessment for the past week, you will realise unfortunately risk can be unquantifiable at times. As a lecturer in Health and Safety for the past 24 years, I would suggest I know a bit about the subject.
You have forgotten one major item in your limited argument. Like it or not the Scottish Government has told us that fishing has been suspended!

Hemmy

Reaction score
It’s your government
You voted them in (majority of you)
Your government makes its decisions
We are all stuck with them
It’s called democracy

Roag Fisher

Reaction score
Westie if as you say you have done risk assessment for the past week, you will realise unfortunately risk can be unquantifiable at times. As a lecturer in Health and Safety for the past 24 years, I would suggest I know a bit about the subject.
You have forgotten one major item in your limited argument. Like it or not the Scottish Government has told us that fishing has been suspended!
Whoever did the lock down risk assessment allowed cycling but not angling. I know which one leads to more injuries.
Regarding lock down protecting vulnerable people, spare a thought for all those now denied cancer treatment, diagnosis, etc. Plus the myriad of other ailments now apparently on hold. These people have all been thrown under the bus.
There are lots of other factors in play too why lock down has to be lifted sooner rather than later. No politician wants to say it, but everything points to the population having to take their chances with covid, however unpleasant of unpalatable that may be to some.

The flying Scotsman

Reaction score
Lockdown was never about getting rid of the virus but was just to spread it out so the nhs could cope. Although there’s not been anyone in most of the icu wards in Scotland for weeks. Ninewells in Dundee cleared a ward for covid patients. It sat empty for weeks so has been turned back to normal.
We will be living with this for years.