Fish that you never Will forget

Chicharito

Reaction score
My first salmon on the fly in July 2009. Caught at Ballynahinch and was the biggest fish that year at 11lb. Still my most memorable moment. Nice to see my name on the cup in the Fisherman's bar. Back again this year.
No apologies for posting pics yet again.
My heads a lot better after that gaff / boat hook thing got removed at Galway A&E.

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrarex

Reaction score
I stand corrected ibm. Stonker. Rose one like that one day. Frightened the life out of me. 😳

marty31

Reaction score
Was good to see him get it last season as always been good with advice etc with me. Ill be out trying for it again this season but fly only in feb has put a spanner in the works.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
I didn't know it was fly only in feb Rrrr is that EA or fed new rule, first day is a sat so should be a few out, anybody like david who puts the time in early season well deserves the first springer but the bright idea of fly only in fab will definitely spoil any real chance of a open day fish, a real bright idea and leave alone the FEB to fill their guts with smolts etc when I look back to the eighties and the river now with the lack of fish, plus all the restrictions, its a wonder anybody bothers anymore! and people still comment on why young people don't take up salmon fishing, that question is laughable even before any answer! but good luck on opening day

Rrrr

Reaction score
I didn't know it was fly only in feb Rrrr is that EA or fed new rule, first day is a sat so should be a few out, anybody like david who puts the time in early season well deserves the first springer but the bright idea of fly only in fab will definitely spoil any real chance of a open day fish, a real bright idea and leave alone the FEB to fill their guts with smolts etc when I look back to the eighties and the river now with the lack of fish, plus all the restrictions, its a wonder anybody bothers anymore! and people still comment on why young people don't take up salmon fishing, that question is laughable even before any answer! but good luck on opening day
Its been written as a condition on the new water leases as far as i know. Theres a few dusting off fly rods that usualy spin so they can have a cast but i think others will just wait and start in march.

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Bonnie grayling sir :thumb: I love the colours on the gill plates and the fight when they get that big fin up in the current 🎣 my favourite fish to catch

firefly

Reaction score
There are a few I'll never forget, but this one was special in many ways. Caught it on the last day of a hard week in Umba, just made the 20lb mark and earned me the last Salmon Junkie club cap. Stephen (Juhl) unfortunately lost the lease a week later to a Russian outfitter and I've never returned since. But I was there, at the very end of an era, and officially became a Salmon Junkie. Strangely enough, once I got the cap I went straight into rehab and stopped fishing two years later after a long an painful struggle with my most enjoyable habit. I'm clean now, but still remember the exhilarating rush fish like this gave me.

PA020067 tris.jpg

allysshrimp

Reaction score
I have built up a lot o great memories over the years iv'e been fishing and there not all about the ones Iv'e caught myself. Being able to put a friend or family member in the right place and see them get into a fish, gives me equally as much pleasure if not more and a great memory to boot.
The pic below is off my son in law.
It was all the more memorable as it was his first real crack at Salmon fishing. Water lower than a Snakes Belly, Mid June, small river (S.Esk) how hard can it get :D
Set him up with a 10' 6/7# rod, full floater n size 16 Silver Ally's. Told him to concentrate on this particular spot and Bingo.
As for myself, iv'e added one too. It's not my biggest by a long way, but the condition of the fish, colour and shape just stick with me. Again from the Southie.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dave Carne

Reaction score
Not one - but three back in May 2010 - on the fly with about 3 casts between each one, lost a fourth then that was it - off the Long Pool on CAA's water on the Eden.
All three fought like the devil. I've had a few quite a lot bigger, but never such a beautiful set of fish.
Dx

Attachments

Last edited:

bassfly

Reaction score
A good Sea Trout caught on the River Laerdal, Norway.
This was my first fish from my first visit to Norway.
IMG_1057.JPG

And this my best Springer to date caught on the River Tummel.
160505-28r.jpg

Last edited:

Rrrr

Reaction score
Must be this one, my first ever springer. Caught on home tied Willie Gunn tube fly on main Tyne above Corbridge 17th Feb 2017.
24lb bar of silver.
View attachment 42432
Remember seeing the pic of that one when you caught it, belting fish

DRN

Reaction score
View attachment 42906

Heres one from the Tamar as the light was going and the river was rising. My friend had just landed a nice grilse and then this beastie had me running around on my 9ft 6wt.

Kai

Reaction score

Lakselva 2018 - Niittikurru

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
Around ten years ago I was fishing Gallery on the North Esk. Water was low, weather was sunny and warm and I was using a 10' single handed rod with a tiny stoats tail tube. Fished the run above Hatton and as the fly swung into the pool I thought I had snagged a tree root as the line went solid. Then it slowly moved. We've all been there. F***! A fish!
Had it on for about 15 minutes, couldn't do a thing with it as it led me slowly round the pool. Saw it's tail once. Enormous. Tried to give it some and that was the end of that! Will never forget that brute!:D