Fish that you never Will forget

ChrisWittlock

Reaction score
Would be pretty cool to see some fish pics that you never Will forget . Maybe the Biggest one,maybe the one that almost got away or maybe the one that took in fast rising water when the ghillie already told you to go to the pub 4 hours ago.

Starting off with my first 20 +kg fish netted for a guest from the big fish year of 2017.

Attachments

ChrisWittlock

Reaction score
Lakselv is correct but not the pool. I work as a guide on oldero lodge so this one took on our beat holmen.

ajm

Reaction score
This I don't forget. 30min after mid night, 1st of June 2016 from Orkla. That was perfect opening fish and that day continued like that. Two more salmons about 100cm before 4pm. Wont happen ever again.:D

Attachments

Last edited:

Greegs

Reaction score

Sea trout from Winsnes on the Gaula last year.
Photos don’t do it justice..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrrr

Reaction score
Got to be this one, tide fresh springer caught less than 2 miles from the sea in 2018.
Also the second fish on the river that year.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mows

Reaction score
Opening day fish

Opening day fish on the South Esk.
Didn't really deserve it as I had been snagged a few minutes earlier and had left the drag full on when it took.
Luckily I was able run after it while I slackened the drag.
Probably about 8lb.

IMG00009[1].JPG

Cheers

Mows

Rrrr

Reaction score
Didn't really deserve it as I had been snagged a few minutes earlier and had left the drag full on when it took.
Probably about 8lb.

View attachment 41966

Cheers

Mows
Propper deep spring fish that one

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Ugly but mighty canibal

With the beautiful bars of silver on show here I am slow to put this picture up as it isn't even a salmon. When I was about 8 I was out with my father who was fishing on the Avonmore in Vale of Clara in Wicklow.
Dad had fished the river for years, my grandparents had a farm beside the river. In about 30 years fishing he had had one fish up to about 3/4lb and the odd 1/4lber most years. The huge majority where v small trout typical of an uplands acidic river although it sounds like that as a kid he would think nothing of going home with 30 or 40 brownies in the bag and fry them up for supper.
It was the Easter holidays there had been a big flood and he was fishing with his new, first ever, fiberglass rod when he hooked a "monster". It turned out to be a 3 3/4lb cannibal brownie and it fell off in the net! Long before there were any stockies in this type of river this was a huge fish to land.
My brother who is the 3 year old in the photo holding up the fish sent me a copy last week as I had mislaid mine.
The Avonmore forms the major part of the Avoca river which runs into the sea at Arklow and would be a fantastic salmon and sea trout river were it not for the impact of copper mining in the 18th to 20th century leaving a stretch of the river toxic in low water due to the run off from the streams flowing through the mines.
My first salmon might of gone up if I had a photo which dont but it also was no silver beauty. It was an absolutely black, almost green, early run springer caught in a July flood on the other side of the country.
The fish you will never forget are often not the biggest or prettiest as they they are the ones that got away and there is no photo.
canibal knockrath.jpg

Callum Imray

Reaction score
Probably about 8lb.

View attachment 41966

Cheers

Mows
Braw fish that min :D

Southie, opening day, like bloomin rockin horse sh!t them things!

Tangled

Reaction score
My most memorable will be my first salmon which was only a few years ago. First day salmon fishing and only the second day in any river at all.

I was with a guide, we approached a pool and saw a fish move near the end of it where the river fell over a ledge. The guide reckoned the best chance was from the other bank so we went downstream to cross then back up and into the river I got.

I had on a no-name treble of my own tying - no name because I just made it up, a bit of black and orange hair with a silver body. The guide didn't think it mattered much what I used. He said cast at the far bank and let the fly swing across the edge of the fall. So I did.

First cast, the fly swung round within a metre of the edge and a great bow wave travelled straight at it, whacked into the fly and then got very angry with me. 10 minutes later I had my first salmon - 78cm of flashing silver.

The guide said 'there's more in there, let's give it ten minutes and try again. So I did and I caught another first cast.

That experience totally spoilt me for salmon fishing, I thought that it was all like that - but I learned pretty quickly that it certainly isn't. I've fished that pool a few times since and I've caught more fish there but I can see that first bow wave even now.

Last edited:

keirstream

Reaction score
Came across this pic of a fish I caught from the Leny in April 2009. Apologies for the picture quality but essentially it makes no difference. It is memorable due to the tuna like shape which was commonplace in Teith and Leny springers then. In addition to that the numbers of fish through mid March to end May in that wee river was colossal. Sadly nowadays only a handful are caught in the Spring. I had 3 other fish that day.
april 11PICT0003.JPG

P.S. that also reminded me of a Teith autumn fish in 2017 that clearly ate all the pies.:)
FatHen.jpg

Last edited:

marty31

Reaction score
Got to be this one, tide fresh springer caught less than 2 miles from the sea in 2018.
Also the second fish on the river that year.

nice springer Rrrr are you going to let leazer get the first coquet springer this season? I will not bother contribute to this thread as the last time I mentioned big silver fish I was accused of bragging along with a lot of other things.

Rrrr

Reaction score
nice springer Rrrr are you going to let leazer get the first coquet springer this season? I will not bother contribute to this thread as the last time I mentioned big silver fish I was accused of bragging along with a lot of other things.
Was good to see him get it last season as always been good with advice etc with me. Ill be out trying for it again this season but fly only in feb has put a spanner in the works.