Fish Tank Shrimp - SBS

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I’ve been asked a couple of times for an SBS on the Fish Tank Shrimp. It’s a slightly convoluted pattern because of the colour effect I wanted – but shouldn’t be too difficult to copy.

SBS Instructions:

Materials:

Tube: lumo tube yellow/charteuse and 1.8mm black inner
Tail 1: smidge over and under stripped orange artic fox to add an inner colour to the cuff/rostrum/tail - with the outer being a self dyed-Black pheasant rump, few strands Pearl midge flash.
Tail 2: 3-4 yellow/orange boar bristles
Butt: glo brite 4
Back Body: glo brite 4 with UTC mirage over to give an orangey pearlescent colour with silver wire rib
Mid Hackle: fluo orange cock - long
Front Body: black floss with silver wire rib
Front Hackle: white hen
Jc: orange JC
Head: Eumer S cone small or Tubeworx blood red (or Sean Stanton)

Fish Tank Shrimp SBS 1.jpg

Fish Tank Shrimp SBS2.jpg

Step 1: Take Approx. 2cm outer, clip a V in the end of it. If you don't, you risk forming a ‘blunt end’ that the cone will then force the hackle up against and it won’t sit right. Use a dab of glue to secure inner to outer with thread wraps. (Note: Change proportions for smaller flies - my 'preferred size' is about 1 cm tube)

Step 2: Take Artic fox, cut small bunch strip the underfur as much as possible away – add top and bottom (I’ve used a ‘deep orange’ jacquard dyed artic fox. (Note: I haven’t bothered with a tag of silver wire as it’s quite hidden under the tails – but you can if you wish)

Step 3: Tie in a dyed pheasant rump – longer than the fox. You can try something else like Cock but it doesn’t end up the same – there is something about the softness and taper of rump. Add 3-4 strands pearl flash over (I use midge flash as it’s much smaller)

Step 4: Add in 3- 4 yellowish boar bristles. I like to stagger mine – 2 longer, 2 shorter. These are off ebay from a dyer called Ryan Bane (they are fluorescent....). Tidy up

Step 5: Tie in silver wire leaving a gap to allow the fluo butt to sit. Tie in Glo brite 4 about half way along your tube

Step 6: Start forming the orange under body covering and butt with the glo brite down and back up to mid point.

Step 7: Tie in mylar UTC and wrap over the globrite to the silver wire point – and back up. This creates a body with an orange glow under the UTC – or a silvery shine dependent on light. Bring your silver rib up to the mid-point.

At this point – I’d thoroughly recommend a lick of varnish. Floss can get frayed or loosen and slip – so I’d varnish now. I also swap from white thread to black thread. Varnish does not kill or mask the fluo of glo-brite either - so don't worry about that.

Step 8: Tie in a large fluo orange cock hackle (this is veniard) – long so overlaps into the tail – this is 2 wraps – just depends on thickness of your feathers.

Step 9. Tidy up and run black floss from head to mid hackle. If you kept your silver wire just go round it. If you chopped it off before you added the mid hackle – you’ll need to retie in wire for the rib before the floss goes over. Then rib up to head.

Step 10: Add in a White hen hackle – I’ll either do a couple of wraps or sometimes strip one side of hackle dependent on thickness of feathers. Once done, try and ‘bias’ your hackle so it’s top and bottom – to try and show a bit of the body.

Step 11: Orange JC

Step 12: Add a cone – either Fl.red Eumer (just watch out for Eumer – they are buckets of a cone and can engulf your body – sometimes it’s best to create a well of thread at the head of the fly to stop the cone riding too far back) – or blood red Tubeworx which I’ve used here.

If I've missed something or you have questions - feel free to ask. Here’s the link to the original post with hook versions of the fly - exactly the same tying except no cone (but glo brite 3 or dark red):

I was expecting this fly to be more for May onwards and into back end (I was always told anything with feelers and the like aren’t for Spring) – but Mows managed to baptise the fly on the North Esk with his first fish of the season (late March)! So who knows.

A couple of pictures of the finished fly - wetted through and under a UV light (which exaggerates the fluo/lumo affect) - and Mows fish with fly in frame - plus a cracking picture of the fly on a rod (one of The FlyingScotsmans stunning creations!)

IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

Mows first fish on FTS.jpg

rod with FTS on a TFS .jpg

All the best, Patrick

Last edited:

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Just my luck that you put up such a detailed SBS and I have to look at it on a tiny iPhone 5s!!! 😂

I’ll be going straight to the computer now for a much better look.

Thank you so much for taking the time to put that together. I, for one, very much appreciate it and I’m sure many others will feel the same.

Is anyone running a book to see how long before these appear for sale on eBay???🤣

Super Patrick. 👍. Many thanks!!!

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Just my luck that you put up such a detailed SBS and I have to look at it on a tiny iPhone 5s!!! 😂

Thank you so much for taking the time to put that together. I, for one, very much appreciate it and I’m sure many others will feel the same.

Is anyone running a book to see how long before these appear for sale on eBay???🤣

Cheers JockieScott, glad you appreciate it. Sorry I went lazy and pulled pictures into PowerPoint, resized and converted pages to jpeg - didn’t fancy battling SFF picture upload ( albeit it’s getting better with drag and drop) but too painful for multiple pictures. Hopefully it’s good enough on a big screen ???

All the best and tight lines if you get out 👍👍👍

SnapT14

Reaction score

Even if they do, they won'
Hi All,

I’ve been asked a couple of times for an SBS on the Fish Tank Shrimp. It’s a slightly convoluted pattern because of the colour effect I wanted – but shouldn’t be too difficult to copy.

SBS Instructions:

Materials:

Tail 1: smidge over and under stripped orange artic fox to add an inner colour to the cuff/rostrum/tail - with the outer being a self dyed-Black pheasant rump, few strands Pearl midge flash.
Back Body: glo brite 4 with UTC mirage over to give an orangey pearlescent colour with silver wire rib

View attachment 59079

View attachment 59080

Step 1: Take Approx. 2cm outer, clip a V in the end of it. If you don't, you risk forming a ‘blunt end’ that the cone will then force the hackle up against and it won’t sit right. Use a dab of glue to secure inner to outer with thread wraps

Step 2: Take Artic fox, cut small bunch strip the underfur as much as possible away – and top and bottom (I’ve used a ‘deep orange’ jacquard dyed artic fox. (Note: I haven’t bothered with a tag of silver wire as it’s quite hidden under the tails – but you can if you wish)

Step 3: Tie in a dyed pheasant rump – longer than the fox. You can try something else like Cock but it doesn’t end up the same – there is something about the softness and taper of rump. Add 3-4 strands pearl flash over (I use midge flash as it’s much smaller)

Step 4: Add in 3- 4 yellowish boar bristles. I like to stagger mine – 2 longer, 2 shorter. These are off ebay from a dyer called Ryan Bane (they are florescent..). Tidy up

Step 5: Tie in silver wire leaving a gap to allow the fluo butt to sit. Tie in Glo brite 4 about half way along your tube

Step 6: Start forming the body and butt with the glo brite down and back up to mid point.

Step 7: Tie in mylar UTC and wrap over the globrite to the solver wire point – and back up. This creates a body with an orange glow under the UTC – or a silvery shine dependent on light. At this point – I’d thoroughly recommend a lick of varnish. Floss can get frayed or loosen and slip – so I’d varnish now. I also swap from white thread to black thread.

Step 8: Tie in a large fluo orange cock hackle (this is veniard) – long so overlaps into the tail – this is 2 wraps – just depends on thickness of your feathers.

Step 9. Tidy up and run black floss from head to mid hackle. If you kept your silver wire just go round it. If you chopped it off – you’ll need to retie in wire for the rib before the floss goes over. Then rib up to head.

Step 10: Add in a White hen hackle – I’ll either do a couple of wraps or sometimes strip one side of hackle dependent on thickness of feathers. Once done, try and ‘bias’ your hackle so it’s top and bottom – to try and show a bit of the body.

Step 12: Add a cone – either Fl.red Eumer (just watch out for Eumer – they are buckets of a cone and can engulf your body – sometimes it’s best to create a well of thread at the head of the fly to stop the cone riding too far back) – or blood red Tubeworx which I’ve used here.

If I've missed something or you have questions - feel free to ask. Here’s the link to the original post with hook versions of the fly - exactly the same tying except no cone:
I was expecting this fly to be more for May onwards and into back end (I was always told anything with feelers and the like aren’t for Spring) – but Mows managed to baptise the fly on the North Esk with his first fish of the season (late March)! So who knows.

A couple of pictures of the finished fly - wetted through and under a UV light (which exaggerates the flou/lumo affect) - and Mows fish with fly in frame - plus a cracking picture of the fly on a rod (one of The FlyingScotsmans stunning creations!)

View attachment 59081

View attachment 59082

View attachment 59083

View attachment 59084

A

Hi All,

SBS Instructions:

Materials:

View attachment 59079

View attachment 59080

Step 1: Take Approx. 2cm outer, clip a V in the end of it. If you don't, you risk forming a ‘blunt end’ that the cone will then force the hackle up against and it won’t sit right. Use a dab of glue to secure inner to outer with thread wraps

Step 2: Take Artic fox, cut small bunch strip the underfur as much as possible away – and top and bottom (I’ve used a ‘deep orange’ jacquard dyed artic fox. (Note: I haven’t bothered with a tag of silver wire as it’s quite hidden under the tails – but you can if you wish)

Step 4: Add in 3- 4 yellowish boar bristles. I like to stagger mine – 2 longer, 2 shorter. These are off ebay from a dyer called Ryan Bane (they are florescent..). Tidy up

Step 6: Start forming the body and butt with the glo brite down and back up to mid point.

Step 7: Tie in mylar UTC and wrap over the globrite to the solver wire point – and back up. This creates a body with an orange glow under the UTC – or a silvery shine dependent on light. At this point – I’d thoroughly recommend a lick of varnish. Floss can get frayed or loosen and slip – so I’d varnish now. I also swap from white thread to black thread.

Step 9. Tidy up and run black floss from head to mid hackle. If you kept your silver wire just go round it. If you chopped it off – you’ll need to retie in wire for the rib before the floss goes over. Then rib up to head.

If I've missed something or you have questions - feel free to ask. Here’s the link to the original post with hook versions of the fly - exactly the same tying except no cone:

A couple of pictures of the finished fly - wetted through and under a UV light (which exaggerates the flou/lumo affect) - and Mows fish with fly in frame - plus a cracking picture of the fly on a rod (one of The FlyingScotsmans stunning creations!)

View attachment 59081

View attachment 59082

View attachment 59083

View attachment 59084

All the best, Patrick
Great Post Patrick, thanks for taking the time to give us a great SBS.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
Only one place to start on today’s visit to the vice...

Belter JockieScott - I’m loving the red metallic cone as well - now I’ll have to tie some with that 👍 thanks for trying out the SBS.

Thanks sir! (y)

That was one of the first types of cone I bought around 20 years ago. They've been lying in a drawer but were the closest thing I had to your red cones. I had to drill out the hole in the cone to get it to fit the tubing.

Can I just say too that pictures really don't do your fly justice. That orange fox under the black pheasant was a master stroke. It just looks so well in the flesh and add in the flash and boar bristles, there's just so much movement and flashes of colour. It looked a great fly when you first showed it but actually seeing it attempted, it really is a stunning creation.

Well done sir! You've created a cracker!!! ;)👌

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Thanks sir! (y)

That was one of the first types of cone I bought around 20 years ago. They've been lying in a drawer but were the closest thing I had to your red cones. I had to drill out the hole in the cone to get it to fit the tubing.

Can I just say too that pictures really don't do your fly justice. That orange fox under the black pheasant was a master stroke. It just looks so well in the flesh and add in the flash and boar bristles, there's just so much movement and flashes of colour. It looked a great fly when you first showed it but actually seeing it attempted, it really is a stunning creation.

Well done sir! You've created a cracker!!! ;)👌
Cheers JS, coming from such a creative and superb tyer as yourself that means a lot 👍

Last edited:

Lamson v10

Reaction score
Cracking sbs Patrick 👍 and a cracking wee tube and as always perfectly tyed 👌
I might get round to tying a few around Christmas time due to having the materials packed away which I'm not liking at all 😟

Thank's for taking the time to post 👍

DrPatrickT

Reaction score
Cracking sbs Patrick 👍 and a cracking wee tube and as always perfectly tyed 👌
I might get round to tying a few around Christmas time due to having the materials packed away which I'm not liking at all 😟

Thank's for taking the time to post 👍
Cheers Arnold, hopefully it’s clear enough for people to follow.

Before the planned house move were you stock piling batches of Willie Gunns to ensure no ‘outage’ during your house move disruption ?? 😂😂😂