FISH ON THE DROPPER !

jimmythefish

Reaction score
When I lived over in Ireland both north and south. I noticed nearly everybody I new fished 2 fly’s,one on the tail and one on the dropper. I took loads of fish on the dropper fly, I usually fished an orange colored shrimp fly on the tail,and a purple color fly on the dropper like a wilkinson. On a large percentage of the time the salmon would opt for the dropper purple wilkinson and completely ignore the orange shrimp fly.Now I’m back home in Scotland and have found that I’ve yet to see a person on the river fish 2 flys,it seems everybody just sticks to the one fly,although I’m sure there will be anglers about somewhere that use two. It seems to be it’s an Irish thing with the two flys and the scots sticking to the one. I personally will always use the two flys as it’s proven to me loads of times the fish I would have not had,had I not used the dropper. It would be interesting to here the lads views on which they think is best, I’m sure if any of the guys try it out it would definitely prove fruitful to them, so interested to here your views lads, thanks......jimmythefish.

Rrrr

Reaction score
Seems to be a good method on the tyne. A regular fly on the bottom with something like a size 14 double stoats tail or other dull fly on the dropper. They spot the bottom fly then seem to have a go at the small dropper.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Slaneybs

Reaction score
Fishing yesterday I had 2 fish on the dropper (bibio) and one on the tail fly (flame thrower). I would nearly always use a dropper when summer fishing with smaller or single handed rods and if there is no weed about. Generally I would only use a single fly if using a tube fly or fishing for springers.

heather point

Reaction score
Looks like you have never fished the Thurso, all the regulars use a dropper there, although I personally don't.

Mattytree

Reaction score
Always fish a dropper , especially this time of year when sea trout are about.
My last two sea trout have taken the dropper a size 14 crathie and 14 ness c Irish shrimp , had an 18lb salmon on a size 16 shrimp last year in July so can honestly say I don’t feel confident fishing without one.

nickolas

Reaction score
Always used to fish a dropper until one day the fish the jumped into the bushes then jumped back into the river leaving the tail fly in the bush, the following year a friend had two fish simultaneously take both flies which snapped the leader. Its taken 15 years to get the B-lls to fish a dropper again. Once watch a guy on the Delphi have three sea trout on at once, interesting watching him getting them all in the net.

david1982mk2

Reaction score
My old summer tactic was sea trout fly on the dropper and salmon fly on the tail.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Occasional salmon fisher

Reaction score
On a single hander, I would almsot certainly fish a dropper. You will lose the odd fish when the other fly catches on something but I reckon this is outweighed by the extra fish that take the dropper. I remember one week when I put a dull size 10 single on the dropper for sea trout and brown trout and an ED treble for salmon on the point. Most of the salmon took the dropper fly, most of the sea trout took the point fly !

salarchaser

Reaction score
Seems to be a good method on the tyne. A regular fly on the bottom with something like a size 14 double stoats tail or other dull fly on the dropper. They spot the bottom fly then seem to have a go at the small dropper.

Always fish 2 flies. If fishing a tube, no dropper.
Catch about 30% of my fish on the dropper (not that the total is a big number :cry: ).
The difference from you is, size wise I always fish the bigger fly on the dropper. Maybe a 10 on the dropper and 12 on the point. Or a 12 and a 14.

Wee Double

Reaction score
I used to fish two flies, but when not a great caster the tangles are annoying. On the subject of droppers, do many of you use the leader rings or opt for the likes of a blood knot?

WD

Coneheads

Reaction score
I used to fish two flies, but when not a great caster the tangles are annoying. On the subject of droppers, do many of you use the leader rings or opt for the likes of a blood knot?

WD
No matter how good a caster , its a banker getting ravelled on the day at some time , more so with a double or treble on the dropper,

paddymc

Reaction score

WD

Nowadays, only with 3mm riverge rings.

By far the strongest, most reliable way to attach a dropper, imho.

Jockiescott

Reaction score
No matter how good a caster , its a banker getting ravelled on the day at some time , more so with a double or treble on the dropper,

I tie on a cast at the start of the season with two flies on it. As long as I don't lose the flies, I'll fish the same cast till it breaks. I could have the same cast on the wee rod for a month. ?

It's very rare here to see anyone fishing without two flies.

Very few would use rings either and rely on knots to form the dropper. I don't really know the names of knots but one is the water knot and I assume the other is the blood knot. Which of them I use, I don't know. ?

I cut the line anyway and joint the two sections together. The other method of adding about a foot of material in the middle of the mainline is meant to be stronger but the knot I use seems to hold the dropper fly away from the mainline better. In my opinion of course. ?

RUSH

Reaction score
464D15BC-6FEF-46BF-B202-EF0CD6DC167F.jpeg

One from the other day caught on the dropper,I very rarely fish without one now

sealicer

Reaction score
I fish a dropper all summer, using the stainless steel rings, lots of fish and never had a problem.

Coneheads

Reaction score
I tie on a cast at the start of the season with two flies on it. As long as I don't lose the flies, I'll fish the same cast till it breaks. I could have the same cast on the wee rod for a month. ?

Fishing a dropper on small rivers tend to get less ravels with single handers , usinga dropperon the double handers on larger rivers seems to ravel up more, maybe with spey casting ? , I used to fish 3 single hooked flies with a single hander years ago ,then 2 , and once netted 2 fish ,one on each fly, and and now seldom use a dropper, and if so a small double or size 8 or 10 single, I seldom use the same cast more than 2 outings ? and never till it breaks up to a month later ? if snapped/broken with a fish on a well used cast ? thats a fatal mistake .
Its a confidence thing fishing with 1 fly ,

Nath

Reaction score
Always fish a dropper , especially this time of year when sea trout are about.
My last two sea trout have taken the dropper a size 14 crathie and 14 ness c Irish shrimp , had an 18lb salmon on a size 16 shrimp last year in July so can honestly say I don’t feel confident fishing without one.
My thoughts exactly. Had 2 sea trout now and salmon yesterday so far this season. Sea trout both took the dropper and salmon point. As others have said unless I am fishing a tube fly or early season I tend to always fish a dropper as it seems to get me about 1/3 of all my fish

FaughanPurple

Reaction score
I Always fish a dropper unless fishing heavy tubes.

In all the years only a couple of fish comes to mind being lost because of the dropper.

I've had the other fly catch on occasion while playing a fish.. treat it like any snag, drop rod tip and feed line into the current to belly down stream and the fish usually pulls it out again...

I've never really noticed which they take more, had 1 on each the other day.

Piker20

Reaction score
How much distance are folk setting the dropper from the point. I always think I'm being too generous with the distance

Cookie-boy

Reaction score
I've fished the A'an now for 30 odd years. I always fish a dropper when going through the runs that hold fast white water and pots. Sea Trout water. A 10' Daiwa single hander with a small Ally's or Cascade brass tube on the tail and a silver stoat or small purple shrimp fly on the dropper. Sea Trout would only ever take the dropper and hit it hard. This was during daylight as I'm always too pissed to fish at night. I only ever hooked one fish on the tail fly and that was a strong Springer that not only broke the rod but left the fly on a rock. One of my most memorable fishing experiences!

kingfisher

Stay Safe
Reaction score
My biggest issue with droppers is the knot.
I tried with the dropper a few times and the times that I did stick with it I got broken at the dropper knot.
I tried the blood knot which to me looked better in that the dropper section stood out from the main leader. I’ve tried the foot long and four turn knot making sure it was well lubricated, yet still snapped like cotton.
That’s the main reason I gave up on droppers, but can see the additional enticement two flies would give.

So what knots do those of you that fish a dropper use?

Nath

Reaction score
I tried with the dropper a few times and the times that I did stick with it I got broken at the dropper knot.
I tried the blood knot which to me looked better in that the dropper section stood out from the main leader. I’ve tried the foot long and four turn knot making sure it was well lubricated, yet still snapped like cotton.
That’s the main reason I gave up on droppers, but can see the additional enticement two flies would give.

What tippet you using? I use mono (maxima) and just use a 2 turn water knot and never ever had a issue. You can do a 3 turn water knot also but depending on tippet size this can get a bit bulky imo.
If you use fluorocarbon , all I can say is stop! Haha

Rrrr

Reaction score

I use a 3 turn water knot then with the bottom tag i add a half hitch to kick the dropper out at 90 degrees so it dosent tangle. Never had any issues doing it this way but some rekon the half hitch weakens the knot.